House that threw up... any ideas?

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do like the farmer's porch idea...that would really compliment this house.

However, I may be the only kooky person here who actually kind of likes the stairs with the house...they add interest, and could be softened with some landscaping.

It also is a bit Amityville. Not in such a bad way, though.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just noticed I should have drawn the porch railings higher. For safety...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

... If you do end up buying this house I "do" landscaping for a living and could give you suggestions too...
Originally Posted by GingersMom

...That was a free, professional design opinion, courtesy of my buddy Lou...:
Originally Posted by gemlady

I just noticed I should have drawn the porch railings higher. For safety...
Love you guys!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to help. I'm a fan of This Old House and have always liked looking at older homes in books and such.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another thought I would change the color of the front door too. Good thing we didn't see what the inside looks like!!

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the house but when money got better I would change the siding color to a more normal color like the red with the white trim. Don't make the porch green it will make it too green. Maybe loose the arch and the steps but maybe the bricks can be salvaged to make a flower bed or something but I doubht it. And I would also go with a flagstone walk but a bit more to the side. And try to use curved, round stones so it softens the harsh lines. And also some really nice flowers infront of the house. Maybe flowers that aren't too straight maybe use daisys and carnations. Not sure what your options are there because are growing zones are different. I would also use some natural outside furniture like the deep seated wooden patio chairs they are so comfy too. And you don't really need the window to the basement because they kind of weaken the basement structure anyway and this way would reinforce it. But try not looking at how the house is now rather look at its hidden potential.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by goosehazel

Is there a link somewhere that will let us see the inside of the house too?
No, the only pic is of the front of the house. If we go house-hunting this weekend, I'll try to get some inside pics and post them.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions!

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

but the problem is that it looks like the front door threw up stairs. Does anyone have ideas on fixing this?
it really does look like it threw up stairs!! such a great description.

I was directed to this thread by Jan (gemlady) to see what I thought (design is my proffession). Now I havent read through the whole thread so I am unsure of what others have said but I absolutely agree - get rid of those stairs! You could build a great verandah at the front there (I assume that lower window is a basement?) with a roof that stops just short of the upstairs windows.
The steps leading up to the verandah should be fairly wide. Maybe as wide as the door/window unit.

Wow it really could look quite awesome if done well. Those steps really do need to go though!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That has to be the ugliest front steps that I've ever seen! LOL

I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to rip out the stairs and put in something else. I've helped my brother do something similar back when I lived with him and his family.

You might want to get an estimate on the cost. I know from experience it's not an easy task to take on, especially if you don't know what you're doing. And you want it to be structurally sound so that it doesn't fall down when you walk on it. I don't know about pricing, especially out West where everything is so high, but I'd think a few thousand would be able to get the job done.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's my paint creation

I really like the idea of a bigger deck/porch so you can have some small furniture up there... and railings! You could even add a roof to it.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nice touch, Meaghan! I'm jealous you could get pre-made lattice work!

The small porches like we came up with would not cost as much as a porch across the full widith, not interfere with the overhang above the entry and provide enough space for a seat or two - and maybe flower boxes.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I cheated... my paint skills aren't great so I googled latice images as my cut ans pasting is pretty good..