House that threw up... any ideas?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

The steps seem to be out of synch with the rest of the architecture. Maybe you can do some research on other Dutch Gambrel houses and see what they have...
That's so helpful! I didn't know they even had a name. I googled "Dutch Gambrel images" and found a similar, Dutch Colonial, with a porch that would look good. I guess you could have an opening in the front with the stairs going down the front. You'd lose the basement window, though.

p.s. It's true, that arch above the door in the original house isn't centered... it looks like an add-on. Maybe that'd go, too.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The stairs look dangerous, too steep and narrow. Maybe ask the realitor how many people have fell on them?

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even a smaller frame porch would look better, IMO. And then you won't worry about covering that basement window.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
House that threw up - love the thread title, I saw that and just had to look in here!

The whole house looks funny to me - no offence intended but houses just don't look like that in England, our architecture is completely different

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I concur on removing the steps and the half circle feature on this house. It does not match the house at all!!
I too would add a porch-large enough that you could set out some potte containers and some smaller scale furniture (or hanging pots would look good too.
To add character I would remove the concrete path and re-do the landscaping in front. There is a good book for ideas The Welcoming Garden (Designing Your Own Front Garden) by Gordon Hayward. He was a speaker at a seminar I went too last year and was really good.
If you do end up buying this house I "do" landscaping for a living and could give you suggestions too.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, now for my sensible reply, as I have now recovered from how different that looks to houses here!

I think the steps really do not go with the house at all, in colour or design. I would get some wooden steps with a rail and paint them to match the exterior of the house, that would look far far better, those steps really really stand out and look odd.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

SwampWitch
I'm thinking you would not want the porch to be wider than the outer edges of the two windows by the door. As for depth, I think 5 to 6 foot should be adequate.

Stair width could be narrower than the porch - aligning with the inner edges of the windows.

If I come across an image or diagram. I'll post a link here.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know huggles/Danielle is an architect. Maybe we should get her opinions.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw the title and just had to look. That is a odd looking house but it does have a lot of potential! I like some of the ideas here and I think you can do so much with it!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WoW, houses are expensive there...I wouldn't pay that much for that house

Not sure about the stairs...Its not THAAAAAAAT bad.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I showed the pic to a friend of mine who is a mason. He grabbed a couple pieces of paper, and said, simple: you want a farmers porch that runs the length of the front of the house, the floor coming just above the cellar windows, and the roof coming to below the top floor windows.

You want a wide staircase that goes the length of the front windows on the first floor, with wider steps and railings on either side.

That was a free, professional design opinion, courtesy of my buddy Lou.

He said those bricks stairs have GOT to go - and that they are dangerous with no hand rails.

I like the house, though, would love to see the layout on the inside!