HOLY COW! Look at Hurricane Katrina!

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MyBabies

How can you tell all this? Are you a weather person? I ask as where I live it was predicted to be 93 degrees today (with the exception of 2 places on the internet that changed their mind overnight) and it got to be 103.5!

How does anyone know what a hurricane is going to be or how hot it will be?
No, I am not an "official" weather person (meteorologist), but I have been fascinated with and studied weather as long as I can rememebr. I have trained with our local National Weather Service as an official storm spotter however. By looking at that satellite image, it looked as if there was some dry air being drawn into the circulation (the dark area at the left of the storm) and the storm was not quite symmetrical, but that had changed over night. This is such a powerful storm, that it will take quite a bit of shear or dry air coming into the storm to weaken it and this is not going to happen. There are many factors that forecasters use to predict what a hurricane will do. I could explain it, but I don't want to bore anyone, unless they are really interested in it like I am

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MyBabies

ON the top right corner of everybody's message post it lists where they are from and their join date!
We have no way of knowing, because not everyone lists where they are from- for example check out Hydroaxe's location- who knows where he is from-

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

We have no way of knowing, because not everyone lists where they are from- for example check out Hydroaxe's location- who knows where he is from-
Yeah, I was thinking of him, but didn't want to single anyone out!!!
(Oh, except I do know where he's from, since I was a Cheesehead for 5 years)

I've been looking through the user list, but I'm not very efficient since I have so many interruptions (dog, cats, kids!)

save_adopt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
humpf... good point MA.

Anything i can do to help, (i'm too lazy to go back and quote) but i "third" that i will send anything that is needed by fellow TCSers.

God bless all of you, stay safe.

edit: "(Oh, except I do know where he's from, since I was a Cheesehead for 5 years)" wisconsin???

marge

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AmberThe Bobcat

No, I am not an "official" weather person (meteorologist), but I have been fascinated with and studied weather as long as I can rememebr. I have trained with our local National Weather Service as an official storm spotter however. By looking at that satellite image, it looked as if there was some dry air being drawn into the circulation (the dark area at the left of the storm) and the storm was not quite symmetrical, but that had changed over night. This is such a powerful storm, that it will take quite a bit of shear or dry air coming into the storm to weaken it and this is not going to happen. There are many factors that forecasters use to predict what a hurricane will do. I could explain it, but I don't want to bore anyone, unless they are really interested in it like I am
Wow, I mean I could tell that the meteorologists were really concerned this time, I mean one guy looked freaked out. Damn, and then I heard a tape of some woman who stayed cause they "Always scare us with these warnings" but this one sounds true, I hope that woman lives.

I feel sick to my stomach and I live in CA!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ilovejoelyo

edit: "(Oh, except I do know where he's from, since I was a Cheesehead for 5 years)" wisconsin???
Yup!

Oh, and those people riding out the storm on their boats. How scary!

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marge

Wow, I mean I could tell that the meteorologists were really concerned this time, I mean one guy looked freaked out. Damn, and then I heard a tape of some woman who stayed cause they "Always scare us with these warnings" but this one sounds true, I hope that woman lives.

I feel sick to my stomach and I live in CA!
Well, this is one of those once in a life time events. Forecasting these things is never easy. It is a damned if you do and damned if you don't type of thing. If the forecasters say it isn't going to be so bad and everyone stays, they, the forecasters will get blamed if it turns out to be a disaster. However, if they tell everyone, this is going to be really really bad and as in this case, you evacuate close to 1/2 million people and nothing happens, you just cost the city and many people lots of money and disrupted their lives for nothing. It is a delicate balancing act, because just a slight shift in movement can change everything. It seems to me, that the woman who stated that "they always scare us with these warnings", never saw the damage from powerful hurricanes like Andrew. Word of note, Katrina has a lower central pressure than Andrew did, which means it is even stronger than Andrew and it is much larger as well. We all know what Andrew did. May God be with the people who did not listen to the warnings.

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Yeah, I was thinking of him, but didn't want to single anyone out!!!
(Oh, except I do know where he's from, since I was a Cheesehead for 5 years)

I've been looking through the user list, but I'm not very efficient since I have so many interruptions (dog, cats, kids!)
This is a serious thread, but I may as well clear something up. I'm not from Wisconsin. I live in Winterpeg, better known as Winnipeg.
Fortunately, we are a world away from hurricanes.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sending lots of prayers that this storm turns away... New Orleans could take months to drain if hit at current speed ....

marge

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought I'd start a new thread about this. Seems that Katrina is now a 4 which is at least not bad news, but still very dangerous obviously. due to hit New Orleans in less than 12 hours.

charcoal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is sad.

A lot of people who want to leave are stuck in gridlock or can't get out of the city and those who think they can ride out the storm in those boats. Not likely. I just hope and pray for everyone it isn't nearly as bad as it is being made out to be. And all those old buildings are going to be gone, a part of history wiped out. As for the dome, I really hope it holds up under the pressure. This whole thing just sucks. Sadly they aren't showing much coverage of it here. I wish they would show more so I could keep up with it better.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hydroaxe

This is a serious thread, but I may as well clear something up. I'm not from Wisconsin. I live in Winterpeg, better known as Winnipeg.
Fortunately, we are a world away from hurricanes.
My apologies, Ryan, don't know WHY I had that in my head.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please...everyone near the storm, report in when you can. Major thought & prayers for you.

Lei

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went through 2 hurricanes last year that were catagory 2 when they hit. Katrina made landfall as a strong catagory 4. I just theard that there is a confirmed levy breech in New Orleans.
PLEASE Pray for everyone in Katrina's path.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
morning news reporting that the Superdome is leaking and on emergency generators. And there's more to come!

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just replied to a really small thread about a hurricane watch and KNEW there had to be another much larger one. My heart goes out to anyone in Katrina's path. May God protect you all.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

morning news reporting that the Superdome is leaking and on emergency generators. And there's more to come!
Is that a shelter????????????