HOLY COW! Look at Hurricane Katrina!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to post that today we found out our employer is donating $100,000 to the Red Cross - and - $500,000 to job service/counseling/retraining efforts. I feel really good about my employer!

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just watched a TOUCHING news story that got me BAWLING like a baby. Its HARD for me 2 cry so this shows how touching this was!
A pregnant lady plunged into chest high water in new orleans to seek help for her 5 yr old son who has asthma. She promised him shed be back soon. However she went into labor in the water and luckily coast guard helicopter saw her and lifted her into helicopter. Took her 2 baton rouge hosp where she gave birth to a beautiful boy a couple days ago. However it was bittersweet for her cuz she was so worried about her 5 yr old son who she left alone. A hosp worker heard and somehow found her son and today as she was being discharged from hosp, 1 hosp worker told her they had a surprise for her then opened a door. She saw her son standin there and just LOST it. She just grabbed him, squeezed him, gave him kisses all over while cryin "OH MY BABY!! MY BABY!!"
That hosp worker arranged a room for that mother and kids with her church in baton rouge.

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a question- I have been watchin news of this on a nightly basis, looked at pics on internet and while I have seen many ppl being rescued, ppl with dogs bein rescued but have NOT SEEN ANY CATS.. Have any1 seen ppl with cats in those areas??
Just wondering. I know humane society and other animal orgs are on way to help but I doubt they are in the worst hit areas yet. Right?
I also read something the other day that really upset and worries me- as ppl were bein evacuated to asterdome, there was a small boy with a dog and as the boy started to board a bus, a cop took the dog away saying pets were not allowed. That POOR BOY CRIED SO HARD HE VOMITED. And what's worse is that cop turned to the reporter and said "don't know what will happen to the dog". That tells me that the animal orgs have not arrived in new orleans...

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good news. Just read an article from www.usatoday.com that animal organizations ARE NOW hettin in these areas and startin to rescue pets and animals. From new orleans alone, over 100 dogs and cats were rescued and I'm sure the number will go up. Now the challenge is to reunite pets with owners, find foster and permanent homes for these pets. I wish I live closer so I'd offer to foster. At least we are hearin some good news and progress is being made slowly but surely...

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW!!! Just read about a lady who abandoned her home after it collapsed, found shelter at another bldg AND RESCUED 5 dogs and 8 cats and took care of them til us coast guard rescued them! Isn't that awesome?? Now ill shut up now I promise.!!

maane1005

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well yea it is just so sad that over 100 people are already dead. help isnt coming fast enough for the people. im disappointed for the people who were told to evacuate but didnt. i understand the part that they didnt have money or way of getting out. also the city of new orleans and other cities that got hit shouldve evacuated as a pre-caution just to be sure. if the hurricane did hit them, thats great they evacuated early other than having 36 hours or so to evacuate. they shouldve evacuated even before hitting florida as a pre-caution. but anyways yea. im also mad to bush about not making food and supplies get there quickly. i dont like him anyways. so i give my condolonces to those people who lost a loved one. may god bless those people that are still out there trying to survive and make it through the day

rockinrhonda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
still so unreal when i see this everyday it still makes me cry im thankful this hasnt happen here.I moved to myrtle beach sc two years after hurricane hugo folks still talk about it till this day.
the guy who owns hooters and hooter airlines has paid for 50 people or more to stay in myrtle beach at the motels they will be here tuesday from new orleans and some are staying in conway
its good to know how much people really do care at a time like this im going through some stuff and im dropping it off this week i hope someone can use theses things

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I posted on this thread a few days ago about a guy who was stranded in his attic in New Orleans who was a coworkers friend. He rode the storm out because he had a dog and a cat who had just given birth to a litter of kittens.
He ended up moving from his house to a hotel in the French Quarter with several other displaced people. They found plenty of food in the hotel, and actually ate steak a few nights! They didn't have any water though. The guy, Jason, got in touch with a good friend here in Jax who headed out to New Orleans in his van to save them. He knew he would have some trouble getting through the check points so he had the hospital here give him a letter to help him through stating that they were expecting this person as a patient (he has a terminal illness). He was almost stopped but he begged the National Guard to let him through. He got to the hotel and by the time he was leaving he had accumulated 7 other people and 17 animals! They are all headed back to Jax. I know they are going to need to find homes for some of the animals and was thinking about asking my fiance if we could have a kitten, but I don't know that would be the best thing right now.