HOLY COW! Look at Hurricane Katrina!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

My brother called last night at midnight saying someone tried to take off with their generator. They scared the people away. He said there where about 4 guys. That scares me so bad. The neighbors are going to take turns staying awake at night and to not leave the houses unattended during the day. My dad and husband are headed over tomorrow with gas,fans,food,water and stuff. We are going to make the trip once a week until things get a little better.
Good grief! Did they really need it or did they want to sell it at a premium price - I wonder.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Those of you without a lot of money and who are in good health- you can always donate blood.

rockinrhonda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

Rhonda, it is bad but do what you can. Pray and donate what funds you can. Hug your furbabies.

We have at least one family in our area waiting out Katrina. They were on a local news bradcsat. They indicated they live north of Lake Ponchartrain and chose our area because their daughter attends a local university. After packing for themselves and their pets (cat and dog) they looked around and decided to bring all the family pictures and a few other non-replacable items. They also indicated they were lucky that they had the means to go elsewhere and stay as long as they needed.

As for those without the means - I pray for them the most.
i hope the family from your area is ok my prayers are with them too i prayed so hard the night before the storm to keep the people safe i belive some prayers were answered at least all lives weren't taken it still hurts and this is something i will never understand is why but i guess all things happen for a reason maybe to see how much ones will come together and help one another in times like this

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We were expected in Ohio 6-8 inches and I think we're getting close up here. It has rained for 2 days non-stop and we have a flood watch out. So Katrina's wrath is still going strong.

I am still praying for everyone down south. I can't imagine what you are going through right now

yoviher

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Those of you without a lot of money and who are in good health- you can always donate blood.

Right now, the Red Cross has done an arrangement which they have announced in CNN: They are preparing to transfer as soon as possible the people who are in the Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans, to the Astrodome in Houston, Texas. That's a start: I was getting very worried about the health hazards and problems in that stadium with all the floodings.

Also, they are saying the water level has stopped rising. They've managed to stabilize the water levels. Now they are trying to sandbag the broken levees.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just heard the same, too, Victor. The logistics of moving all those people boggles the mind!

They say there are still outlying communities they still haven't reached.

As Katrina moved in, I was reminded of Camille back in the 1960s. Several folks said their place survived Camille, but wiped out by Katrina.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After hearing all the news reports I wonder if the lady I mentioned earlier still wants to get back to her home.

yoviher

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I just heard the same, too, Victor. The logistics of moving all those people boggles the mind!

They say there are still outlying communities they still haven't reached.

As Katrina moved in, I was reminded of Camille back in the 1960s. Several folks said their place survived Camille, but wiped out by Katrina.
The other mind boggling problem is basically sustaining those people during all the months if not years it will take to restore the city.

I know you really have to be the son of humanist historians in order to be worried about this... but I must admit haven't been able to stop thinking of the art museums, the historical archives, the artifacts, the laboratories... there are several universities in New Orleans... what about all the irreplaceable things of such great value to humanity that are in there. I do know for a fact from history how the keepers of such collections will often go to extreme risks trying to protect such things, but still, no one knows what has happened.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yoviher

The other mind boggling problem is basically sustaining those people during all the months if not years it will take to restore the city.

I know you really have to be the son of humanist historians in order to be worried about this... but I must admit haven't been able to stop thinking of the art museums, the historical archives, the artifacts, the laboratories... there are several universities in New Orleans... what about all the irreplaceable things of such great value to humanity that are in there. I do know for a fact from history how the keepers of such collections will often go to extreme risks trying to protect such things, but still, no one knows what has happened.
I only thought of the museums, etc. this morning when I saw a clip taken of survivors on the steps of museum type building. As a genealogist I have thought of old records that may have been lost.

Imagine what we would know today of our past had disasters not wiped out ancient records and artifacts.

Want to join me at the time machine for a visit to save the records of the Alexandrian Library (Ancient Egypt) ?

yoviher

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I only thought of the museums, etc. this morning when I saw a clip taken of survivors on the steps of museum type building. As a genealogist I have thought of old records that may have been lost.

Imagine what we would know today of our past had disasters not wiped out ancient records and artifacts.

Want to join me at the time machine for a visit to save the records of the Alexandrian Library (Ancient Egypt) ?
Sure, and bring the kitties while you are at it!

On another note: Heidi, those links that you've posted about helping animals... is there any chance that those resources are made into a sticky in the S.O.S. forum?

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You don't have to be the son of historians to appreciate art and history. Although right now I believe that is secondary to the human lives still able to be saved. But there will be so much irreplaceable history lost because of this. Museums, universities and privately owned historical buildings are all gone or very damaged.

I heard just now on the news that the water is still rising in New Orleans. They also said that if you were in knee deep water 24 hours ago, you're under 12 feet of water now.

marge

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just heard the most creepy thing on the radio, apparently FEMA put out a report in 2000, before 9/11 that the three biggest threats to the US as catastrophic events are a hurricane in New Orleans, an earth quake in San francisco and a terrorist attack in New York. Wow, and this was not nostradomas people, this was a government agency.

Living in the SF bay area, I do think of this.

Also don't chew me out for pointing this out, but this is an example of why we need to take caution when involving in international issue, we have our own we need the money and funding for.

In the above mentioned report they said that if it happens New Orleans may never be the same and not the tourist center it is *ever again* and this will have far reaching effects.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw on the news this evening a poor couple who had 3 houses end up on their property
The poor man just stood and wept because everything he had was gone

I really feel for them all

yoviher

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marge

Also don't chew me out for pointing this out, but this is an example of why we need to take caution when involving in international issue, we have our own we need the money and funding for.
Hmm.... I don't know about you, but all I need to know that the domestic agencies "that have the money and funding for" are overwhelmed, is turn my TV set on CNN. International help, will only make the problem get solved quicker.

yoviher

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

You don't have to be the son of historians to appreciate art and history. Although right now I believe that is secondary to the human lives still able to be saved. But there will be so much irreplaceable history lost because of this. Museums, universities and privately owned historical buildings are all gone or very damaged.
Yeah, my main hopes consists that the curators, archive directors and others have done everything to keep the things out of the place. I wouldn't be the least surprised if some museum curator grabbed every single painting he could get a hold of and took it off to Montana, and in the mess we haven't learned about it all.

They are now saying in CNN that the hospitals nurses are calling from cell phones desperately asking for ambulances to take the patients out of the city... there are many babies from women giving birth right now all over the city, and the unsanitary conditions have made it worse. In the light of all this tragedy, hearing the news of pregnant women giving birth in the hospitals, kind of gives you a very positive and emotional thought: Life is moving on.

marge

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yoviher

Hmm.... I don't know about you, but all I need to know that the domestic agencies "that have the money and funding for" are overwhelmed, is turn my TV set on CNN. International help, will only make the problem get solved quicker.
I meant as in wars and such. They tend to suck a lot of money and resources and we have some real threats as in disasters at home we are neglecting.

yoviher

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marge

I meant as in wars and such. They tend to suck a lot of money and resources and we have some real threats as in disasters at home we are neglecting.
Ahh... sorry for misunderstanding you. You are right there. In fact, many are worried that now that the National Guard is needed, up to 40% of it in some states is in Iraq.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just saw some of the most awful pictures
I saw one with a couple holding a sign that says "help us" and one of a man walking through flood waters with a small wet dog in his arms. It is just so awful what has happened.
My heart truly goes out to them, I know I have said that before but with all of the news coverage there are moments when you see the pictures and my heart truly aches for those poor people, and the animals as well.

A new report from the NO mayer said it's possible thousands are dead. I know that other countries have survived awful tragedies, such as the tsunami, this past year but when it hits home it's the worst feeling.