Help!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elizabethrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are owned by people in the street I can't just get someone else's cats neutered!? I think if they choose to keep them in tact they are withinin their right to?? I just wondered if there was any way I could deter them. But Molly will be spayed as soon as she's recovered and she won't be going outside before then! Just feel sorry for my poor other cats being scared by them :-(

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
hahaha well in some areas we just went and get the males neutered. I doubt there are people who want more cats. Neutering is exactly what needs to be done. But that's just me. I would do it only because it will cause less stress on MY cats. If the owner won't keep the unfixed cat in and it's in my yard often or doesn't stay off my property then all bets are off. It's only for their benefit of getting fixed. Less fighting. Less hormones driving them to do what they do. Most people wouldn't even know the difference. :/

elizabethrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi just checking in kittens are all doing ok... I think!? Molly is very clingy and likes me around if I leave her in the bedroom with her kittens she wants to come out and leave them and just lately has really been wanting to go outside! She seems so fed up she's either nursing or looking a bit lost and fed up sometimes when her kittens are nursing she just gets up and steps on them as she goes for food or whatever and they all really cry which she seems destressed about she sometimes repositions and lays on some and the scream and she looks at me like "help me" so I lift her and take them out and put them back on the teats. There does seem to be a lot of fussing at milk times and the kittens fight over teats is this normal?
They have all opened their eyes the last few days they are 13 days old and I'm just finding it stressful worrying if they are doing ok as she isn't a natural bless her but she's so young herself she is just so clingy to the point that after getting into the nest with the first baby in sack starting to come out I nipped downstairs to get something and heard her at the door she had followed me downstairs with a kitten halfway out! I have tried moving her box to the kitchen so she is not lonely but she didn't like it she just stood and cried at the kittens but wouldn't settle in the box with them, she's never attempted to move them ever though! I just took the box back upstairs to the original spot near my bed and she settled again. She does feed them but it just always seems a stressful carry on with at least one of the kittens scrabbling and crying at each other and Molly just warbling at them in reply. Can anyone tell me if their weights are ok?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
E elizabethrose

All of this is normal, especially for a first-time, inexperienced, young mom. It's a lot of responsibility!

Do you plan to post their weights? I'm happy to take a look.

elizabethrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Phew that's a relief!! Bless her! The little one that came out first was the one I broke the cord for her on and we plan to keep her although I am particular about names and I think when her character comes through it might be easier to pick a name! But she was the smallest at birth and Daisy was the second out and biggest at birth so they are all growing steadily, should I expect them to even out or will she most likely stay the smallest weight? Either way I'm so glad they are healthy weights! And I will keep checking each week? Would you say? Thanks you have been such a help, this is a great site!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They may not all be the same weight. It depends on their body type and how much they eat.

They should weigh about 12 ounces at 3 weeks, and 16 ounces at 4 weeks, though the smallest may not quite hit that.

Post weights anytime! You should check frequently until they are older.

elizabethrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've noticed the little one getting shoved off the teat a lot and she got pushed onto Mollys face and she bit her but then licked her but didn't let her go back to try and find a teat again I was thinking I'll wait until next week when I weigh again and then intervene if necessary? I just don't want to interfere with nature if it's not needed? She is sleeping now with her siblings and not crying more than the others so maybe she is just naturally smaller?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
E elizabethrose

Since she is smaller and getting bullied off nipples you should weigh this kitten daily to make sure she is gaining 6-10 grams a day minimum. If she is not, you'll need to supplement right away. I would not wait on this.

elizabethrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Their weights today are
Tucker- 13 3/4 oz
Dexter- 12 7/8 oz
Daisy-14 3/4 oz
Bonny- 14 5/8 oz
Trixie-Rose- 11 1/2 oz
Hope these are ok- (born April 6th)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kittens will be 4 weeks old on Thursday, so in 2 days.

Kittens should weigh 16 ounces at 4 weeks, so yours are slightly underweight.

Trixie Rose and Dexter could use supplementing, especially Trixie.

Do you have kitten formula?

elizabethrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No where do I get it from? How much do I give them? Molly seems to have stoped feeding them as much as she was, she's skinny and always hungry but is turning her nose up at everything, I got her special posh cat patès and even went to buy ox livers for her from the butcher today which thank goodness she liked (only when cooked though Lol) she's had cream and goats milk all sorts but she has gone so fussy lately!!
Won't the kittens start weaning soon too? I'm not sure how to go about that really!? But I will start by supplementing the two littlies. Can I buy it from a pet shop?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, pet shops have kitten formula. Buy the powdered in the can, preferably PetAg, or Royal Canin, or GNC. Get a kitten bottle and nipples. You may also use a syringe or dropper.

They need 96-100 mLs each per day. Fed every 4 hours it would be 16 mLs per feeding each. However, since they do nurse mom still, they may want a bit less.

Does mom seem like she feels okay? She can have a dish of kitten formula daily as well. It will help her calcium levels.

Most kittens are ready to try soft wet food at about 5 weeks old, which will be soon. To start, you can make it slushy by adding some formula to the wet food.

Once the kittens are eating solids they need to be put in a kitten sized litter box before and after meals.

elizabethrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Molly doesn't purr or play since having the kittens she seems stiff walking up/down stairs and won't jump up onto surfaces. I thought it was just because of the labour still? Or should she have recovered from that by now?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may still be recovering. She also has full mammary glands and new responsibilities. She will probably return more to her old self when the kittens are older.

Does she seem healthy though? No fever or unusual discharge?

elizabethrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No temp no, and no discharge, movements normal and I gave her abdo a gentle feel about and this didn't appear to cause her any pain.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She sounds fine. She's busy nursing and caring for her kittens. It's draining. This is not uncommon. She'll be herself again eventually! :)