Help? Pax is breathing funny....

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Vibes and prayers and wishes from the heart for Pax...Try to stay, Pax, try to stay.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh god
This is so sad
Please baby Pax stay with us we are all thinking of you and hoping you stay...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, thank you for your continued support.

As Laurie mentioned, it was discovered via xray that Pax has bronchial pnemonia.

I apologise in advance as I do not know the correct terms, and I'm speaking from my heart.

He and Kitchi are Felv/FIV negative. We tried to test Kizzy, but after him struggling alot I decided against it at the time. Had either of the kittens come up +, I would have had to sedate Kizzy to test him.

Kizzy and Kitchi are both fine, right now. There is a chance they could catch this, but so far they haven't and with any luck, their immune systems are strong enough to withstand it.

Kitchi weighed in at 3.3lbs. Which means, Pax has lost at least 1lb of weight since Friday (they were the same size, maybe a few ounces difference)...basically in a matter of 2 days he lost 1/3 of his body weight.

There is nothing left to Pax except skin and bones. He has no fat, and is still dehydrated.

- When they took his blood, it was quite dark, which means he is NOT getting enough oxygen (unfortunately they can't check O2 levels easily).

- His fever dropped, and his temp is now below normal. Not a good sign.

- The vet said he declined between vet visits. (I didn't think so, but upon thinking about it, he was laying on his side more last night, instead of laying with his feet tucked under him).

What we did for him today was support: he had a tetracycline based antibiotic + Baytril + an anti-inflammatory (Metacam) as well as fluids, and some food. (the day prior, he had a different antibiotic and fluids)

because I know it will come up, the topic of Metacam: I was extremely hesitant because of what I've read. It was our only option. He needs an anti inflammatory to hopefully open up his bronchial tubes so that he can get more O2 flow. If we didn't try everything we could, he would die.

These antibiotics "can" help if his pnemonia is herpes virus or calicivirus based, the range of antibiotics is to cover every possible cause.

He needs to respond to the meds NOW, or he will die. If no improvement whatsoever tommorrow, it is obvious he is not strong enough to fight this and instead of letting him starve of oxygen and food, he will have to be euthanised.

There is always hope, but realistically, unless a miracle occurs, the odds are against him. If he was not a kitten, there'd be more of a chance of survival. But right now, his chance of survival if he doesn't respond to meds, is none.

That is about all I can tell you right now.

I leave this with a plea: If you want to critisize my choice of meds, or my decisions, please don't, or do so privately. Even if you don't like me, and would love to take a dig, I beg of you not to. You can rest assured I feel awful as it is.

Thank you for your continued support, vibes, hugs, and everything. From the bottom of my heart, thank you.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chris, you're doing everything you can, and at times like this you pull out all the stops because there isn't time to mess around. Sending lots of for your little sweetheart.
that something in that arsenal will turn this around for him. And in the meantime, many
for the distraught Mommy. Hoping for good news on the morrow.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

Chris, you're doing everything you can, and at times like this you pull out all the stops because there isn't time to mess around. Sending lots of for your little sweetheart.
that something in that arsenal will turn this around for him. And in the meantime, many
for the distraught Mommy. Hoping for good news on the morrow.
Just one thing to add, that might give you a little hope... Antibiotics take a couple of days to start killing bacteria - on the first day, only the bacterial growth is reduced, than on the second day it really starts working. Since he got his antibiotics shot yesterday, tomorrow is the day that you really should see an improvement, and the day after tomorrow as well, if the bacteria strands are sensitive to the antibiotic he took today. Metacam should work pretty quickly though.
Will be praying for you both... Come on Pax, fight, little one...

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Come on kitty...

Just had a thought...can they IV-drip some fluid and nutrients into him to buy him time for the meds to kick in?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You have done and are doing everything possible to save this little guys life - you have given him every chance possible, and now it's up to his system.

Sending lots and lots of continued

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ebrillblaiddes

Come on kitty...

Just had a thought...can they IV-drip some fluid and nutrients into him to buy him time for the meds to kick in?
possibly if they could find a vein that has not collapsed.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sad to hear these latest developments. Can you do more of the steam baths for Pax? When my husband had pneumonia, he said he felt that it helped him feel better. Since Pax' temperature is below normal, I would also think that keeping him warm would help too.

Sending all the heathy and strong I can muster for little Pax. He's got a world of people behind him here, and I can only hope that TCS vibes can pull out another miracle.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh sweet Pax, there is still hope and I am clinging onto that. Chris you're doing everything for him and beyond, there is nothing there to criticize..
Is he staying at the vets tonight? did he actually eat on his own?? Hopefully the food will give him the strength needed. I hope it's like Carolina said, that the metacam shot will work really quickly!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

I'm so sad to hear these latest developments. Can you do more of the steam baths for Pax? When my husband had pneumonia, he said he felt that it helped him feel better. Since Pax' temperature is below normal, I would also think that keeping him warm would help too.
I just did one..... he meow'd at me when I got out of the shower. He hasn't meowed in a couple days.

Prior to that, I thought he was dying in my arms. He was laying on his side, and reached out with his wee paws to bring my hand to his chest (he always liked being pet on the chest and sucking my finger). Once I calmed a bit and my rational mind took over my heart, I went and did the shower.

Now I am leaving him alone, so he can be relaxed and not stressed, and hope for the best when I check on him in the morning. I don't want to get my hopes up...I'd rather expect the worse, and have it not happen, than expect the best and get the worst.

Mariya: no, he's home with me...there's nothing more the vet can do. He is not eating or drinking on his own... the vet forcefed him some, I force fed him some (we're talking 1/4 tsp that I gave him). My vet said to try little amounts every 3-4hrs through the day, but to stop if he really fights and starts breathing heavy.... last time I fed him was when I thought he was dying. He only got a little bit, one small bite, and he was stressed, so I quit.

I hope to wake up tomorrow with good news, but I expect not. It's easier that way.

Thank you all again, I truly appreciate it.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still sending those and prayers! That little boy is a fighter, and we'll help him fight!

Status
Not open for further replies.