Help? Pax is breathing funny....

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

What we did for him today was support: he had a tetracycline based antibiotic + Baytril + an anti-inflammatory (Metacam) as well as fluids, and some food. (the day prior, he had a different antibiotic and fluids)

because I know it will come up, the topic of Metacam: I was extremely hesitant because of what I've read. It was our only option. He needs an anti inflammatory to hopefully open up his bronchial tubes so that he can get more O2 flow. If we didn't try everything we could, he would die.

Oh honey, please don't worry about that. There are times when we have to go right away with the hardest-hitting stuff or procedures we can, and don't have the luxury of time for trying other things and seeing how it goes. You are taking wonderful care of him -- as someone else said, now it's up to his little body.

prayers and wishes...Try to stay here, Pax.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he is unable to eat or drink, he is dying slowly of starvation/dehydration. If force feeding isn't working, then I suggest you talk to your vet about letting him go, rather than making him suffer much longer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

If he is unable to eat or drink, he is dying slowly of starvation/dehydration. If force feeding isn't working, then I suggest you talk to your vet about letting him go, rather than making him suffer much longer.
Did you actually read the update????

We have been giving him fluids, and FF in a different manner than syringe feeding.

We are trying to buy time to see if the meds will help, if not, as previously stated, his suffering will end tomorrow.

He needs to respond to the meds NOW, or he will die. If no improvement whatsoever tommorrow, it is obvious he is not strong enough to fight this and instead of letting him starve of oxygen and food, he will have to be euthanised.

There is always hope, but realistically, unless a miracle occurs, the odds are against him. If he was not a kitten, there'd be more of a chance of survival. But right now, his chance of survival if he doesn't respond to meds, is none.

That is about all I can tell you right now.

I leave this with a plea: If you want to critisize my choice of meds, or my decisions, please don't, or do so privately. Even if you don't like me, and would love to take a dig, I beg of you not to. You can rest assured I feel awful as it is.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just don't know what to say. for you and Pax

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I read the posts. I know it's not easy for you to decide to euthanize such a small kitten, and I've had to many times. I know I have no tact left, it has been a most long day.....but if that kitten was in my house, and not improving the way you are describing, it would be hard, but I would euthanize him. I know it's probably not much consolation, but I've seen adult cats euthanized for pneumonia One kitty that stuck in my mind had mild URI symptoms, yet 2 days later he was beyond hope. He went downhill that fast. I won't jump you, or criticize your decision, as I know there are many who dislike me for my "gung - ho" attitude on euthanizing.

I'm hoping & praying he improves soon, but if he doesn't, I will be thinking of you, your family, & Pax tomorrow.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chris, don't loose hope baby...... Hope dies last, and is very very powerful and worth it.
Don't loose hope...

:vi bes:

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not give up yet either.
I was told Meeko would not live at 3 months and to think of having her pts .
She is now 9 years old.
Her temperature was 95.6 then.
If you want I can give you what her numbers were then.
I do not blame you for giving him another night and trying to save him.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes, I read the posts. I know it's not easy for you to decide to euthanize such a small kitten, and I've had to many times.
The decision has already been made. He has been given some time to let the medicine try to help, if no improvement tommorrow, he sadly will be euthanised. That decision was made prior to me even posting the update, and I thought it was relatively clear that that was what was going to happen, which is why I asked if you actually read the post, because your response seemed like I was trying to prolong his pain when that is the furthest thing from my mind. I am well aware of what starvation can do, and would not wish it upon even my worst enemy.

I am the one who has been by Pax's side since he got sick, I'm am fully aware of what is going on with him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you to everyone for the vibes and support through this difficult time.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm crossing my fingers that Pax is feeling a bit better today!

I saw Zoey go from rock bottom (I drove home from work thinking I was going to have to put her to sleep that night) to on the road to recovery (by the time I got home, she was sitting on my boyfriend's lap eating her second plate of food - more than she had eaten in over a week. Zoey was older, but was about the same weight as Pax.

for good things to happen today!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yes, I read the posts. I know it's not easy for you to decide to euthanize such a small kitten, and I've had to many times. I know I have no tact left, it has been a most long day.....but if that kitten was in my house, and not improving the way you are describing, it would be hard, but I would euthanize him. I know it's probably not much consolation, but I've seen adult cats euthanized for pneumonia One kitty that stuck in my mind had mild URI symptoms, yet 2 days later he was beyond hope. He went downhill that fast. I won't jump you, or criticize your decision, as I know there are many who dislike me for my "gung - ho" attitude on euthanizing.

I'm hoping & praying he improves soon, but if he doesn't, I will be thinking of you, your family, & Pax tomorrow.
Nat, I think Chris was reacting to the fact that the decision's already been made to give it the one, last night. There wasn't anything to do at 12:30 in the morning.

Chris, I think Nat was just trying to communicate her support for your decision, if it comes to that.

Laurie

allmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

The decision has already been made. He has been given some time to let the medicine try to help, if no improvement tommorrow, he sadly will be euthanised. That decision was made prior to me even posting the update, and I thought it was relatively clear that that was what was going to happen, which is why I asked if you actually read the post, because your response seemed like I was trying to prolong his pain when that is the furthest thing from my mind. I am well aware of what starvation can do, and would not wish it upon even my worst enemy.

I am the one who has been by Pax's side since he got sick, I'm am fully aware of what is going on with him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you to everyone for the vibes and support through this difficult time.
I hope the morning finds Pax feeling better....it IS possible and I too would not have yet given up hope on a KITTEN; you and your vet were doing everything possible to make him comfortable and POSSIBLY improve his condition..giving him another night after getting metacam and letting the antibiotics kick in sounds reasonable to me. I just recently had to make this decision for my 16 year old cat but I too TRIED for a few more days and we WERE able to make her more comfortable before letting her go. And this was an OLD cat. Hope Pax is better...don't let ANYONE try to make you feel bad!!!! That's just not fair.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This thread can be locked.

Pax as of 8:30am on my husbands birthday, the day after my anniversary, is now resting comfortably in peace

I thank you all for your support.

Status
Not open for further replies.