Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

If that little baby is not eating, you need to assist feed him . He can go downhill so quickly. He can develop hepatic lipidosis. He needs to be syringe fed watered down kitten food. You can put in the cheek of his mouth. Pedialyte will also help him. Being lethargic is not a good sign especially for a kitten and a sign that intervention needs to happen taken ASAP.
thanks. I'll see what the vet says when we go in today
I know its not a good sign, hence going in to see the vet. If I could have gone sooner, I would have. Thanks for the info on pedialite, I would have picked some up yesterday had I known.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you tell I'm impatient.

I'll be leaving for the vets in 25-30mins... this day has just dragged.

I did try to syringe feed him, and he spit it back out....I aimed from the rear side of his mouth (as opposed to closer to the front) and just squeezed gently.... it all came back on my floor, then he swallowed after expelling the liquid.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I hope he feels better and will be ok.
Let us know what the vet says.
I will.

Thanks for all the vibes everyone, I truly appreciate it

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Can you tell I'm impatient.

I'll be leaving for the vets in 25-30mins... this day has just dragged.

I did try to syringe feed him, and he spit it back out....I aimed from the rear side of his mouth (as opposed to closer to the front) and just squeezed gently.... it all came back on my floor, then he swallowed after expelling the liquid.
Aww it's okay 25 minutes is not a long time. Poor baby, soon he will be in professional hands and the vet will know what to do. I hope it all goes well and he gets better fast!

ckblv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can shoot that food right down his throat, cats don't have a gag reflex so it won't hurt him. Good luck

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ckblv

You can shoot that food right down his throat, cats don't have a gag reflex so it won't hurt him. Good luck
Doing it that way, wouldn't you chance getting it in their lungs???

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Doing it that way, wouldn't you chance getting it in their lungs???
I wouldn't do it either for just that reason. It can definitely go to their lungs and cause more problems. You did the right thing just waiting for your vet appointment.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could say I had good news, but I don't.
I wish I could say I had a definate answer, but I don't.

Pax has: a temp 1 degree higher than normal, moderate dehydration, lost weight ( 4wks ago he weighed 1.9lbs, today he weighed 2lbs ), increased breathing rate (could be because of the fever he said) and some sort of URI (nasal).

At this point, he is thinking viral as opposed to bacterial. No pnemonia.

My vet gave him some fluids and antibiotics. We have an appt. tomorrow for all 3 kitties, so we'll re-assess tomorrow.

We can hope that it is just a URI, with no underlying cause and that his little immune system is strong enough to help fight it with some support. My vet's policy is to support then test. Which I am fine with. If we don't see some improvement tomorrow, he will be tested for leukemia, and other immune surpression diseases.... sorry, this is new to me, so I don't know the proper names.

He said that Pax is not a lost cause (that would be good news) but it could change. It is so hard with kittens.

I did ask him about force feeding, and this is a prime example why one should always consult a vet, shooting it down their throat is HIGH RISK and not to attempt it as it could easily be aspirated into his lungs.

He recommends using the opposite end of a spoon, and putting the food directly on the cats tongue and letting them swallow it. If that doesn't work then he recommends using a dropper and placing it at the side of the mouth (as I did). But to do so with caution, especially when using the feeding syringes because you can accidently squirt more than you realise into their mouth and they can choke and aspirate.

As for my other cats, it's already too late. They've been exposed and there's nothing I can do about it now. Hopefully their immune systems along with the vaccinations they have recieved will keep them safe.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Chris you must be so stressed out right now
Pax sounds as though he's not too bad though. Increased breathing rate can be from stress as well at being at the vet, or stress over not feeling well. Sounds like the most significant thing is the weight loss and the URI. If he's been acting normal up until now, then the weight loss probably occurred in just the last couple of days. If he's not been eating or drinking because of feeling yucky due to a URI, then that would account for it.

This is a timely reminder also as to why a) TCS has a policy NOT to give advice - squirting fluid down a kittens throat can be so dangerous and b) better not to mix new cats with current cats until they've been tested for all diseases just to be on the safe side - and of course to make sure your cats vaccinations are up to date, which you have obviously done.

My foster kittens never mix with my residents until they've tested negative for the big problems, and my kitties get an extra Advantage dosage too.

Good luck with the appointment tomorrow and I'm sure the tests will be negative, and it's just a URI, but I'll send lots of vibes to be covered!

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw Chris, I'm sorry
Lots of for little Pax! Poor little sweetie. And for all your other furries including Brandy! I'll keep praying!
for you...
Hope all goes well at the vets tomorrow!!

allmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope Pax will be feeling better soon! Just curious..did the vet do sub-q fluids or anything? Send you home with any? I hope you can get Pax to eat and/or drink something between now and tomorrow...I feel your pain!
And I hope that your other kitties stay well too......

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww Chris....
Poor little Pax...
It sounds to me he just has an URI, and that he is not too bad... Temp of 1 degree higher than normal can easily be because of the stress of going to the vet - same thing with his rapid breathing... I think he is going to be ok. I was also very worried with Bugsy when he had his URI, but he turned around very well...
One thing you can do to try to get his appetite in order again is to rub a litte karo syrup into his cheek - just give him a little bit of it. The reason is when the cats blood sugar drops to a certain level, they loose their appetite, so bringing the blood sugar back can help quite a bit. Karo is a quick absorbing sugar.
Also leave food and water available for him at all times, very close to where he is resting... He might get inspired
I would start everybody on L-Lysine - here it goes in their water, and also in Bugsy's wet food.
Have you tried giving him KMR? Tuna?
Hugs and vibes for both of you

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ckblv

Cats do have a gag reflex - at least Lucky does, and I caught it on film
. You don't want to shoot food down his throat - he can aspirate into his lungs. Giving it on the side of his mouth, slowly, is the safest way. Or through a feeding tube, of course.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sending that this is a simple URI. I had a kitten land in ICU for a week from a serious URI one time. The vet took one look at him, knew he was in danger and put him in an oxygen tent on IV's for that week. If your vet didn't see it as an emergency, my bet is that he's not as bad as you fear.

Poor little Pax!

And
to you!!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Allmycats

I hope Pax will be feeling better soon! Just curious..did the vet do sub-q fluids or anything? Send you home with any? I hope you can get Pax to eat and/or drink something between now and tomorrow...I feel your pain!
And I hope that your other kitties stay well too......
He gave him fluids
and an injectable antibiotic.

I asked whether I should give him fluids tonight, and he said no, he had given him enough. We're seeing him again in 24hrs, and will go from there.

I also asked if Pax would be better staying there for the night, vet said no, he had already done what can be done for Pax, now its up to little Pax's body as to what happens.

I asked about food, he said I could try a little bit tonight, off the back of a spoon but not to force him. Which I did, and he spit it back out. I'll try again later.

We reevaluate tomorrow.

Originally Posted by carolinalima

Awww Chris....
Poor little Pax...
It sounds to me he just has an URI, and that he is not too bad... Temp of 1 degree higher than normal can easily be because of the stress of going to the vet - same thing with his rapid breathing... I think he is going to be ok. I was also very worried with Bugsy when he had his URI, but he turned around very well...
Thanks for trying to help me feel better, but you have to remember, this is not a 14lb adult cat, it is a 2lb 13wk old kitten who has only had his first set of needles, lost alot of weight in a matter of 2 days, etc.... I'd like to not think the worst, but I'm a realist as well and know that Pax is not doing well. But I'm still hoping

One thing you can do to try to get his appetite in order again is to rub a litte karo syrup into his cheek
Karo syrup????? What is that.

Of course he has food and water available.... the vet was not concerned about me getting him to eat tonight so I am not pushing it. I don't want to add more stress in the situation.

I'll mention to the vet your suggestions and see what he says.

Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.