HELP! First time kitten mom

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmommy22322

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think I'm plagued with bad luck. Little gray started taking a bottle and when it was his turn I didn't check the hole like I always do and realized that multi had chewed a bigger hole and he got a bunch of milk at once.
He's not breathing really fast or anything like that, just sneezing a lot. He will still walk and meow. I just don't know if his sneezing is tied to aspirating or sticking his head into mush and getting it up his nose. I swear. I freaking start getting them on bottles and this happens.
I'm so mad at myself if I caused him two aspirate. I don't wanna loose him.
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 catwoman707 catwoman707

Last edited:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When that happens I've heard people suggest holding the kitten upside down so the milk runs out the nose/mouth and not down the wrong pipe.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It happens mostly in younger/newborns, at 3 weeks 2 days, hopefully it will be okay.

There is a swinging motion you can do if it happened very recently if you are worried, place baby between both palms with the butt end at your wrists and the head held in your fingers, close your hands so if you were to shake them the kitten wouldn't be able to move at all, especially supporting the neck/head.

Raise your hands with kitten and in one swooping motion swing downward to the floor and hold.

Repeat only once more.

This uses gravity to push it out of lungs if any got in.

catmommy22322

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It happens mostly in younger/newborns, at 3 weeks 2 days, hopefully it will be okay.
There is a swinging motion you can do if it happened very recently if you are worried, place baby between both palms with the butt end at your wrists and the head held in your fingers, close your hands so if you were to shake them the kitten wouldn't be able to move at all, especially supporting the neck/head.
Raise your hands with kitten and in one swooping motion swing downward to the floor and hold.
Repeat only once more.

This uses gravity to push it out of lungs if any got in.
Hopefully this works. I think he is trying to sneeze it out. Is there anything I can do to help with his sneezing? His gums are still pink and there is no clicking sound/labored breathing. Just the sneezing.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He just needs to sneeze it out. Hopefully, as Catwoman said, at his age he can handle it.

Are they all taking the bottle well and getting the required amount?

Have you tried the moistened baby chow yet?

And how is Duchess doing?

catmommy22322

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
4 out of 8 take the bottle very well, the others are still getting used to sucking a nipple but are still taking the syringe very well. All burp after and doing fantastic. Not poop yet but still trying. All get required amount and I can tell they are satisfied because they don't cry for mama anymore.
I'm just nervous because I don't want to mess up the bottle feeding again. I thought I had it down and this happens and now I'm petrified I'll mess up again at their 8 pm feeding. I was so proud and happy.
Tried the chow and one investigated but nothing yet. Still trying. They LOVE the KMR with canned kitten chow, but they get it up their nose even though I put it in a very shallow dish and not much in the dish to start with. Amy ideas?
As for dutchess, she is doing great. Eating, sleeping, and had her first solid poop! Her nipple still looks sore but much better. She has been crying for her babies all day so since little gray isn't feeling to great I stuck him with her so he can get mom lovings and she hasn't cried since.
Hopefully some good luck comes my way soon.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ah, good thinking to put Little Gray with mom. I am delighted to hear that Duchess is doing so much better. Perhaps by tomorrow night you can return her babies to her and get some sleep.

I would continue to offer the kitten chow with KMR. The only way they will learn to eat it is by sticking their faces in. Highly unlikely they will aspirate any of it on their own.

A couple drops of olive or veggie oil in their bottles should help the poo situation. A little constipation is to be expected when switching from mom's milk to KMR.

Do not lose confidence in yourself over the one incident. You are doing great! Those sharp little teeth that bit the bottle nipple will soon be biting solids. Mom doesn't like being bitten either.

Hang in there with the 8 pm feeding. I think with each feeding the babies will continue to get the hang of it! :)

Last edited:

ellieandwinnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If it makes you feel any better, my kittens are 7 weeks old and they still get a face full of their food and sneeze once in a while. Sometimes I have to take a damp cloth to their face afterwards. It's so cute though!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Any remaining milk will drain out his nose or down his throat now.

It's likely all fine.

I recently had to wean 3 1/2 week olds fast, I am in no shape time wise to bottle feed 4 kits, and was caring for my friend's surrogate mom and 4 kids while they were on a cruise.

Wouldn't you know it, 3 days in to it and mom was done, she up and decided that was it, so there I was............

Made up canned pate kitten with kmr added and mashed up, stuck their little faces in to it, over and over, no bottle option, and that was that :) Poor babes, boy they sure went for it once they got hungry enough.

I don't recommend doing this so young, they do need to get the sucking out of their systems and not all babies this age will be so cooperative, as I said though, no choice.

I told them, auntie Lisa is not bottle feeding them, so they did great :)

catmommy22322

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your prayers and good thoughts. They worked! As of right now Little Gray is still with us and his sneezing is much much better. do u think maybe a humidifier would help with clearing his nose and chest out?
Feeding has been going good and the babiea are loving the KMR and wet food. Some are even eating the wet food by itself with no KMR so yay!
Dutchess still misses her babies terribly but I've noticed that her nipple has taken on some fluid so I don't want her feeding anytime soon until I can get it drained. She is still eating amazing and pooping/peeing and taking her antibiotics. She just whines for her poor babies. I wish I could let her in.
Also do you think it is okay to feed little gray with a syringe? I was going to start with just giving him 3 mL every hour very slowly.
thanks guys! Sorry thIs post is sort of to the point but I am exhausted and wanted to get all my questions out there before I forgwt4!

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's too bad there wasn't some way of covering mom's bad nipple so little grey can be with her and nurse, as he will get the antibiotics via her milk and it may be helpful to get him well soon.

Yes it's definitely fine for you to syringe him.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It's too bad there wasn't some way of covering mom's bad nipple so little grey can be with her and nurse, as he will get the antibiotics via her milk and it may be helpful to get him well soon.

Yes it's definitely fine for you to syringe him.
i read a post somewhere yesterday where they made/used a sock tube top to cover the mom's nipples to wean the kittens.  I don't know if this will aggravate the sore nipple.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
catmommy22322 catmommy22322

Hello there!

We've not heard a peep from you in nearly a week!

How are Duchess, Little Gray, and the rest of the kittens doing?

At your last posting Duchess was still apart from her babies with an inflamed nipple, Little Gray was sick, and the rest of the litter were starting on mush.

Can we get a quick update please?

catmommy22322

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
catmommy22322 catmommy22322

Hello there!

We've not heard a peep from you in nearly a week!

How are Duchess, Little Gray, and the rest of the kittens doing?

At your last posting Duchess was still apart from her babies with an inflamed nipple, Little Gray was sick, and the rest of the litter were starting on mush.

Can we get a quick update please?
Holy heavens! I can't believe it's been a week. A very LONG one at that! Last week was crazy with ups and downs and it seemed that everything was going bad, but sunshine is finally coming our way!!

Mama had healed up almost completely! She finished draining and now it's just got to scab up. The area has gone back to almost normal and all her nippl3s are pink and chap free! She nurses the kittens maybe 2-3 times a day but doesn't stay as long. Dutchess is defiantly in heat, constantly meowing and wanting to go outside (never ever witnessed a cat in heat!) But overall is so much better and healthy thank heavens. :nod:

my prayers were answered since my last post, and little gray is still with us and doing AMAZING! She continues to surprise me everyday. I have to come up with the perfect name for her since she has survived being the runt (only 2.7 ounces when born!) Then aspirating. My little princess is defianlty a miracle. :Tilt Heart:

The kitties are now ALL eating kitten canned food mixed with KMR and softened kitten hard food (royal canine baby/mother!) :woohoo:

With eating real food comes lots and lots of poop! I am defiantly going to start litter box training this upcoming week. Tips and advice on that?

All the baby's are now RUNNING and POUNCING! No longer just walking around but man they are FAST! They dart around the room now and love to play with each other. They go at it! Luckily mama has been teaching them not to be rough and they got some toys this weekend to play with (nothing with string or small parts! All kitten proof and okay!) And they also have mama's smaller kitten tree/scratch post that they love to scratch and climb haha. It is hilarious watching them. I literally could just watch them 24/7.

I'm attaching a video of photos/recordings of the babies over the past 2 weeks. I hope you enjoy! Will be doing individual updates tonight as everythint has finally calmed down!

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is FANTASTIC!!! WooHoo!!! :)

Everyone is healthy and weaning and mom's back with her babies - hurray!!!

Litter box training - you'll need at least two kitten-sized boxes asap and start putting them in before and after every meal. They will probably catch on quickly as cats have a natural instinct to dig and cover and be clean. They may even learn in one day. Just put the boxes near where they eat and spend most of their time because, being little, when you gotta go you gotta go! :)

So glad that all is finally sunshine your way!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have not watched the video but looking forward to it in just a bit! :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What a sweet video - and so well done :).

It's been another 8 days, believe it or not!

Can we get an update on Duchess and her family?