HELP! First time kitten mom

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmommy22322

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mama has been doing AMAZING and her nipples look a ton better.
I've had to reorganize the closet and clean up well because the babies are WALKING! All they want to do now is explore and see things, and as I am typing this, I got 4 of my gray little kitties walking around and using me as their little play ground LOL.
I've come to find out last night that the babies are starting to get their teeth! I was doing my nightly one on one kitten love time, and Multi starting chewing on my fingers and I could feel little teeth nubs! You can see them coming in and everything! (After she chewed my finger once, I gave her the tail of a stuffed animal to chew on so she won't think biting/nibbling human hands is okay). I checked everyone, and they all got teeth nubs! They are going to be right on track to start weaning next week (4 weeks is when you start right?)
Everyone is starting to play with each other, nibbling at feet and ears!
Which is another thing, all ears are coming up! I can tell they know my voice now because when I take them out for play time if they start wandering a little far I call them and they come wobbling back!
Why is time flying so fast? It seems like yesterday I took Dutchess in and it was just me, her, and Paisley (my adopted mutt in my profile picture with Dutchess), and now we got 8 kitties walking around [emoji]128558[/emoji] I'm feeling sad knowing when they get older I cant keep them all (Oh how I wish I could, I know it would be way too many but I'm already attached to them. I never want to miss out on any thing so my life has consisted on staying in my closet and taking way too many pictures of all of them (can you have too many?? [emoji]128514[/emoji]).
My younger brother is coming to stay with us for the weekend, so my boyfriend and I are going to do the kitty shoot tonight a little early and give real good updates on everyone!
My favorite pics of the week:

Hey TCS! Thanks for helping our Grammy with advice so we can grow big and strong!

We are coming for you!

Lilo and Stich (Twin Love)

Little Gray isn't so Little anymore!!

Probably one of my favorite pictures from this week. Ltitle Gray sitting with mama watching her eat (don't worry guys he did not partake in any of the food!)

Yay! We got an even bigger, comftier box!

Their Night Light [emoji]128522[/emoji] Because they are my little sunshines

Last one! I left my camera open on the sheets to grab one of the kittens who was wandering too far and came back to this [emoji]128514[/emoji] Lilo took a selfie on my phone!

sorry for photo overload, just love these little guys to pieces. I am just in heaven!

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are so darn cute! I cannot believe how big Little Gray looks. Wow! He's done so well. They all have.

Yes, mush at four weeks. Baby teeth at four weeks. They are textbook!

Amazing when you think about literally living in the closet with them all this time, isn't it?

It is too easy to get attached. They are getting to know you too. You are in for exciting times soon with their upcoming exploring and tussling.

Thanks for the fun update, and enjoy your brother's visit. :)

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wonderful update, and talk about an overload of total cuteness!! 

I must admit, my very favorite point of growth is when they first are walking/toddling around, and you will see one get this spunky look, go to one of it's sibs and tap with his paw then leave and watch for a reaction, just too cute for words.

I have a camera set up for when I have kittens or a mom and babies so I can wastch them on the monitor from my dr table. My dh and I find ourselves glued to that monitor constantly, enjoying them and watching them grow, watch how they develop their play, and so on.

Oh I also get a big kick out of it when they do that spunky side hop thing, we call it a spider hop, arch their back and fur is standing straight out! 

They make their fur stand out to appear bigger to their opponent :)

Each week their play/interactions will advance on to the next stage, soon it will be lightweight wrestle matches where they learn at what point to let up. One on top, and the underdog yells out, which signals the top one to let up. They regroup and dive right back at it. These are the skills they will keep for life, how they interact with other cats.

Also, watching mom eat from her dish, this is how they are taught to eat rather than nurse. Soon one will get curious enough to go try it out for themselves, others see this and will do the same.

This is when I start feeding mom the babycat by royal canin, so the babies are able to munch on it, as it is tiny pieces.

One last thing I wanted to say regarding them growing up and moving away.

While you will feel the ache in your heart, you know they are going to grow up big, and live for many years healthy and loved, and you helped make it possible. You will always have each one in your heart as they will always be 'your babies'. 

But it's okay to let them go. Ask the adopters for updates/photos, usually people are happy to share this with you! 

Remember too, by letting them go, you are filling space in other people's lives and hearts, just as you have with your momma cat. Pets affect our lives in so many ways, they give love and comfort, and are part of our memories we have, so it's a good thing to let them go and live their lives with others who will love them just as you do.

Besides that, by the time they are 8 weeks old, you will likely be more ready then you realized because a herd of rowdy kittens to keep up with and clean after gets to be ALOT of work by then!! 

For now, enjoy your kids!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately at 11 pm Simba passed away. He fought the good fight but I think he got fading kitten syndrome and just faded so fast. He was buried under a big oak tree and will never be forgotten. My heart is broken but I got to remember I have 8 other very healthy kittens and that little gray has completley turned around. Thank you all for your advice
I'm sorry for your loss. You are a wonderful foster mummy.

catmommy22322

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry for no update. Crazy weekend and then today dutchess (mama kitty) has decided to scare me. I had to leave early in the morning to take my brother to the airport and when I came back I found dutchess in her litter box, just laying there in her poop and not moving. I picked her up and out and she stood for a minute then relaxed to the floor. I cleaned her up as best as I could, put her in her crate and rushed to our vet. No available openings until 8 so I'm having to sit and wait until they can fit me in. I know I should have taken her to the emergency vet but the closest one charges you like crazy and I know the vet I am at.
Mama has not eaten since 11 this morning (I left her her bowl of food and when I came back it hadn't been touched). She was feeding and eating great last night.
Any ideas?

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could it be a calcium deficiency?  I know it can cause seizures in not caught soon enough.

I don't blame you for staying with the vet you know and trust.  I would do the same.

catmommy22322

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have advice but I do have good thoughts coming your way! Good luck!

Thank you so much. Very appreciated.

Could it be a calcium deficiency?  I know it can cause seizures in not caught soon enough.

I don't blame you for staying with the vet you know and trust.  I would do the same.

It defiantly could be. Just wanted an idea of what it could be to prepare myself in case of bad news.

Sort of a random shot in the dark but how are her pee habits, same/normal as always?
I saw her pee this morning. I can't tell what color but it was her usual amount (I clean the litter box 3 times a day so I know her usual poop or pee habit)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, no! I hope the vet can fix her up! Poor girl. Nursing eight babies is taking its toll on her.

Has she still been eating well and drinking KMR every day? Do you still give her an egg?

Please post an update as soon as you can. Praying for her health.

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I'm sure it's not anything that can't be fixed, she is working alot of overtime these days!!  

Let us know asap, I am really wondering what they say.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Any news yet? Worrying about Duchess and her babies. Please post an update when you can!

catmommy22322

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay will do more detail update about dutchess later (she is home and needa rest).
I have to start feeding all babies, my question is, I brought in the saucer full of milk *easier for me to fill the syringe that way* and some of the babies started slurping away at the milk. They would stick their face in it and slurp it but then I could tell it would also get stuck in the nose (I mean their whole face went into the dish) is that okay? When I mean stuck I mean they sneeze a little right after slurping then go back again.

catmommy22322

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am not trying to wean them yet! Mama may not be able to nurse them again, or she may, do not know at the moment (better detail later) but if they are willing to drink out of a saucer should I let them and watch to make sure they are getting enough or just stick to syringe feeding?

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This tells me they are very hungry!

catwoman707 catwoman707

I think it's okay. I want Catwoman to determine if they may be able to slurp mush or not at this point. I know they have just turned three weeks old yesterday.

catmommy22322 catmommy22322

Last edited:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may want to consider letting them eat from the saucer while waiting for their turn.  It will take them a while to figure it out so I don't know how much they will actually get and it may make keeping track of how much they are getting a little difficult.  Just don't fill it so much.