Help! 15 Hour Old Kitten?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Im on Iphone. I cant write much. Meyenberg should be ok. I know rescuers who use happily this brand. Use it as it is or in the glop. You can make pedialyte with honey salt + water, mineral water is good source. A shelter will prob just pts this infant

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its. A newborn? The poo CAN been the first poo, its called tar - and blackish.

Pedialyte not necessary yet, but mAy become handy.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pedialyte is an electrolyte drink, made for children who are sick, to prevent dehydration. You can get it in the baby section. The Walmart brand is fine, get unflavored. It was, last time I bought it, $3.34 for a quart. You can make a homemade version (google "oral rehydration solution" for recipes) but Pedialyte (or store brand) has extra minerals so it's best to use that if possible. Give him a few droppers of that every day, if he seems very dehydrated you can make his formula with that instead of water.

Yeah, a small postal or kitchen scale would be useful. At the Walmart I shop at, they're found with the bubble wrap, not in the kitchen section.

There is a method for feeding baby kittens using a makeup sponge. Apparently they accept it easier than a bottle. Look on Youtube for instructional videos. You can also use a needleless syringe or a medicine dropper.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How much older? You may need to pull the older kitten away from mom while the little one nurses. It is never a good idea to have an older kitten with a young small one.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
P Pegasus_Pony

How are things going now?

Kittens must be fed at least 2mL every 1-2 hours.

When they are unable to suck the bottle you need to feed them with a needleless syringe or a dropper.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pegasus_Pony

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, update, kitten is good and eating better. The mom didn't want to nurse it. But I'm on Lockheart Fork. Near the Wirt country line. Right now the baby is doing good. She has peed twice though she still hasn't pooped.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found a Lockheart Fork rd, but not a town called that. What city is closest?

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
We are about 2 hours from you! We travel all across WV for these animals though lol.
How is the little one doing this morning? Are you able to weigh her?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, now I have two different solutions. But I'm not sure if either ashade1 or yourself would go for it.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it becomes too much for you, I found Olive Branch Animal Rescue in Sistersville. I have no idea how far that is, but it is a no-kill.
If, however, you decide to forge ahead with the little one, we are here to help.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a momma with week old babies I could potentially introduce her to if you wanted? If not that is ok too!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Be sure fosterlings are reasonable healthy, no contagions on your momma

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pegasus_Pony

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Really sad time for me guys. She didn't make it. She ate real well, and I got her to pee and she laid down for a nap. Everything seemed to be going good! I I went and check on her about half an hour later and she was gone.... I don't know what I did wrong... I just hope she's in a better place now. Thanks for all your help...

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear this. My guess is that if mamma abandoned her, there was something wrong already. She also never got colostrum.
You tried and did the best you could, it just wasn't meant to be.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear this. You certainly tried.

Please do let us know if you'd like help finding a low cost clinic for spaying and neutering your other cats. I know you mentioned having some mamas around.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Im sorry! Tx for trying giving her the shadow of a chance.
RIP little one.

Status
Not open for further replies.