Help! 15 Hour Old Kitten?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pegasus_Pony

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, so around 7 o clock my brother heard weird noises coming from our horse field. Low and behold there was a single, tiny, newborn baby with the after birth still attached. He brought him to the house and while we have several mother cats, none of them would feed or even lay with this tiny new kitten. The baby was covered in fly eggs so we carefully gave him a bath to scrap them off. That was approximately 12 hours ago. I've got no idea where to get the KMR stuff I've been reading about, but I did make a 12 AM run to Walmart and made up a Kitty Glop formula consisting of:
1 1/2 Cup of Water
1 12 Ounce Can of Dehydrated Cows Milk (also have goat milk, not sure which would be better)
1 Packet of Glox Gelatin
2 Tablespoons of Mayonaise
2 Tablespoons of Plain Yogurt. Not nonfat. (it's made from whole cows milk and has a 12% fat ratio? Is this good or bad?)

My biggest problem I'm having is keeping the furball warm without a heating pad. Any and all advice is welcome! I do have a nest box consisting of a milk crate and an old robe, and whenever I try to feed it I do rub it's genitals. Also, another thing. Last night it ate about 3-4 ounces of the formula. Ad I mean really went at it and sucked and everything. Now he won't take the nipple in his mouth but he is sucking on the cloth of my robe. What do I do? Is he hungry?

Again! All and ANY advice is welcome!

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can get kmr at Wal-Mart it's the pet ag brand in a powder. As for keeping him warm if you have a sock and rice you can pour a cup of rice in the sock and heat it for a few seconds in the microwave til it's warm and that will hold heat for a while. Also a hot water bottle if you have one. Feeding needs to be done on his tummy and while he's warm and you could try to use a needeless syringe and put small drops between his cheeks and wait til he swallow. Also if you have a clean sponge like for makeup that's not been used you can put some kmr on that and let him suckle it from the sponge. Someone with more experience should be along shortly with some.better advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pegasus_Pony

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can get kmr at Wal-Mart it's the pet ag brand in a powder. As for keeping him warm if you have a sock and rice you can pour a cup of rice in the sock and heat it for a few seconds in the microwave til it's warm and that will hold heat for a while. Also a hot water bottle if you have one. Feeding needs to be done on his tummy and while he's warm and you could try to use a needeless syringe and put small drops between his cheeks and wait til he swallow. Also if you have a clean sponge like for makeup that's not been used you can put some kmr on that and let him suckle it from the sponge. Someone with more experience should be along shortly with some.better advice
Thanks! Also, she/he won't stop crying. I've tried everything I can think of, do you know if it's normal?

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm going to.say he's probably crying because he's hungry. Has he pooped? Any diarrhea or vomiting?

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just keep warm and try to get as much kmr as you can in him/her I don't know exactly how much to feed but someone else should. Also do you have a kitchen scale that weighs in grams? It would be good to take the weight down and weigh every 12 hours to make sure he's gaining at least 6 to 12 grams daily I believe is correct. More is better

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Rice sock - heat up in micro several minutes - often 5.

Brw. Pet ag kmr in powder is good kmr

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Rice sock - heat up in micro several minutes - often 5.

Brw. Pet ag kmr in powder is good kmr

Pegasus_Pony

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think we have a kitchen scale, but I can probably make another trip to Walmart this evening. I can get some rice then, for now I've been heating up a towel in the dryer every 30 - 40 minutes. I'll look at Walmart and see if I can find some of the KMR powder there.For right now she is sleeping and I've been monitoring her breathing. She' got me really edgy. He has no diarrhea or vomiting, but last night, he had a very dark brown, clumpy, stuff come from his anus. I'm not sure what it was and i honestly wasn't expecting him to make it through the night.

Pegasus_Pony

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And i mean he was just crying and crapping and I hadn't stimulated him in the least. Should I be worried about that?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It wAs prob poo. Possibly with old blood. Can you find raw goats milk? Some pedialyte may be good to have.

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Crying while pooping I don't believe is normal. Mine do it but they got that from mom she would go in the litter box and cry and cry before we had her spayed and they picked up on that so now both cry every time they get in the box. Is there any way you can take him to a vet to be checked out?

Pegasus_Pony

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It wAs prob poo. Possibly with old blood. Can you find raw goats milk? Some pedialyte may be good to have.
I might be able to? I don't really know of anyone around me who raises goats. I got Meyenberg Evaporated Goats Milk with Vitamins A and D?? If i were to feed it to him should I use it in the Kitty Glop or just straight outta the can once it's heated up?

Pegasus_Pony

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Crying while pooping I don't believe is normal. Mine do it but they got that from mom she would go in the litter box and cry and cry before we had her spayed and they picked up on that so now both cry every time they get in the box. Is there any way you can take him to a vet to be checked out?
I wish I could but right now I'm kinda, extremely poor.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A kitten this age needs to be fed every 1-2 hours. As much as s/he will take.

Pegasus_Pony

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also what is a Pedialyte? I've read about it but still kinda clueless.

Pegasus_Pony

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A kitten this age needs to be fed every 1-2 hours. As much as s/he will take.
I offer her the nipple but all she does is meow and shove it out of her mouth. I was up every 1:30 - 2 hours with her last night. She'd suck once or twice but then just stop.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's how I see it. And I don't put emotion into words very well, so I hope this doesn't come off as rude.

You have 2 choices here.
1) take this on
2) find a no kill shelter or foster

Kittens are very expensive and time consuming. If you want to take this on, be prepared for sleepless nights and expenses.
If you feel you need to find a shelter, then do so.

We are here for you either way. Either in advice or to help you find a shelter. Fostering newborn abandoned kittens is not for everyone, just let us know how we can help.

Pegasus_Pony

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here's how I see it. And I don't put emotion into words very well, so I hope this doesn't come off as rude.

You have 2 choices here.
1) take this on
2) find a no kill shelter or foster

Kittens are very expensive and time consuming. If you want to take this on, be prepared for sleepless nights and expenses.
If you feel you need to find a shelter, then do so.

We are here for you either way. Either in advice or to help you find a shelter. Fostering newborn abandoned kittens is not for everyone, just let us know how we can help.
That's one of the biggest problems around here. I live in a small area of West Virginia and there are several shelters, but none of the are no kill. The game plan tonight is to go to my neighbors house with it. She has a mother with older kittens, but hopefully we're gonna try and get her to nurse it. I'm willing to take the kitten on if I have to. I just don't want to see the poor thing die! I'll do just about anything to my ability to just get it to grow up and live.

Status
Not open for further replies.