Heavily pregnant cat

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No I no that but it won't be for me not trying if they don't survive I will know i did all i could for them I have weighed them this evening and we have a 7-8gram weigh increase since this morning on all 3 who where losing weight so I'm happy with that hopefully will be 10-15g gain by morning
This is GREAT news!! Looks like all that was needed is feeding them! KMR is great, and I suspect something is going on with mom and her milk/nipples, may have an infection started or not producing?? Hard to know for me n=but of course the vet can help on this.

Continue with the bottle, and best to actually keep them from mom now, this is because they will want to nurse, and babies will NOT continue taking the bottle if they have mama to nurse from, even if only attempting, so it's quite risky at this point, especially because they are just now getting turned around and will be headed in the right direction.

At LEAST until you find out about mom and her healthy milk production/not. 

They need 3 things, warmth, not blankets but an actual heat source as mom is, a heating pad on low is best, but can also fill a sock with rice, knot the top and heat it in microwave, but isn't a reliable stable temperature.

Pottying, before and after feedings, tap their bottom area either under warm running water or with cotton/soft cloth, but no rubbing, tapping with your fingertip, saves from getting sore/raw!

If under water, which I prefer, be sure they are dried off well and warm, toasty.

Feedings-you already have this part right at this time, be sure the position is on their tummies as they are when nursing, if squirming just take a small towel and snugly wrap but keeping them down with just a bit of head tilt upwards for feedings.

It's a big help to make up a batch of KMR in an empty water bottle that is stored in the fridge and pour some out for each feeding, rather than making it up every time. Any unused is tosed out and made fresh again after 48 hours max.

Good luck! Let us know about momma cat :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

loulou85

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bought kmr and goats milk and found they prefer the goats milk so have been feeding mum the kmr and the kittens the goats milk, I went and got 2 heat pads today ready for if we need to separate kittens from mum but she is still doing a great job at looking after them so I'm reluctant to remove them from her yet she will be at the vets first thing in the Morning to get her checked and if there is an infection I will then remove the kittens from mum straight away they are all feeding great with me and my husband now they know what there getting so I'm going to be up threw out the night on night feeds I feel so sorry for mum shes been brilliant she happily lets us feed kits in front of her and as soon as we hand them back to her she Pottys them but I can tell she's disappointed that she's not feeding them she gives me the helpless eyes hence why I'm reluctant to take them from her without a really good reason but will keep you all posted

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As long as they will continue to eat so well for you, then there is really no reason to, yet at least.

It's nearly always a problem trying to get babies to use a bottle when they have their mama is all :)

loulou85

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will keep a close eye if there weight / feeding starts being erratic i will definetly separate them cos the last thing I want is to go backwards when we're finally starting to move forward [emoji]128522[/emoji]

loulou85

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kittens are doing great today 10gram weight increase on all they were all at the vets this morning and he is happy with them he said the weight thing was concerning but hopefully we have turned a corner Venus is fine just seems her milk production isnt enough to keep the 4 happy so I'm to continue feeding them every 2-3 hrs they are so greedy today they are drinking 5-7 mils each and getting right fat little bells after feeding lol

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cute! So happy for the weight gain!

So Venus's nipples are okay? No infection? Are they also nursing?

loulou85

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Vet said Her nipples do look sore but is just cos there is only 4 nipples that are usable to the kittens her other we're really small and can't latch on them so 4 kittens and 4 nipples being used constantly is making them sore and can't produce enough they seem to still be feeding off her which he told me to leave the kittens with her unless they are in danger from her and me carry on feeding them to top them up

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Happy to hear about the weight gain!!

Things are getting on the right track now, keep up the good work!!

Babes are little dolls!

loulou85

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well they are all doing amazing today my smallest is now at 90grams big improvement from his 70g on Sunday! One was 83 grams Sunday now 105grams
And the best one are my biggest two 103 on Sunday now 136 and 108 Sunday now a whopping 145!!! And guess what Venus finally has milk!!! Only in 3 nipples but it's finally in [emoji]128515[/emoji] im still feeding them as obv there still just not enough to go around but at least I know whatever there not getting from me they can top up on mum

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Fantastic news all the way around! Hope they continue to gain & that mama is feeding the kittens well and enjoying more her role now! Kudos to you for doing an excellent job! :)

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How sweet. I love tabbies, they have a special spot in my heart. 
  Glad to hear the very good update, hopefully now she can nurse them along with your feedings and they'll do really well.

loulou85

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another great day weight wise we are now all gaining 15g a day each just need some advice just fed little Rocco and noticed his genitals arnt looking like they normally do I have seen Venus potty him and she pottied him right before I took this photo ang suggestions why it's like this

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
catwoman707 catwoman707

Asking expert. I don't know, but looks inflamed or infected. I'd apply a warm compress to reduce swelling, and see a vet first thing in the morning.

It almost looks like the naval is inflamed.

Last edited:

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Catwoman it looks normal

I suggest keeping a eye on it for a day or two

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old are they today? To me, all looks normal and I've had quite a few boy kitties.