Heavily pregnant cat

mkat02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They eat the after birth so chances are she just did it when you were caring for the babies. 

It's also normal for them to take breaks and then have the rest of the litter. 

They all look happy and healthy. So now take a deep breath. You did great. 

I have seen cats have only two babies and look as if there were many more. 

Take time for everyone to relax now it won't be long before they are all over the place. lol. I have a litter of 3 that are about 5-6 weeks and they are into anything . They are learning to eat so they're always a mess. You'll be having all this fun soon too. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

loulou85

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ladies I need a bit of advice Venus and kittens have been great all feeding well ect but ive just noticed Venus is feeling a bit warm is this normal

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ladies I need a bit of advice Venus and kittens have been great all feeding well ect but ive just noticed Venus is feeling a bit warm is this normal
It may be alarming.

Try to measure her temp.

You can even measure in the armpit of the foreleg.  In there the temp is somewhat lower, 3Fahrenheit or a full Celsius degree.

If her temp is visibly higher then 102 F (99 in the armpit)  or 39 (38 in armpit), contact your vet immediately and be ready to rush in.

Fever is often the way to detect complications, they may get infections there in the uterus, and such...  It gets easily serious very quickly.

Good luck!

Last edited:

loulou85

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just got back from the vets I though safer to take her in than wait she's good temp is fine vet was pleased with how healthy mum and kittens are :)

loulou85

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How on earth do I rehome these little adorable fluff balls :(( I just don't think I can do it!! We were keeping one anyway but I said to my husband before I want 2 ( getting him to agree to us keeping one whilst she was still pregnant was hard enough but he has said we can keep 2 he actually even said he dosnt like the thought of separating them.. Surely it's not realistic keeping 5 cats lol I sooo wish we could I have PPl asking me for them and I'm just like noooo go away [emoji]128546[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Rehoming after raising them is always the hardest part! It seems many an extra kitten stays in the original home for this very reason. Must be why they are made so cute! Don't blame you.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Beautiful kittens, I'm glad everything turned out well in the end.

Nothing wrong with keeping 5 cats IMO, as long as you've got enough room for them all.

mkat02

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I always hate when kittens have to go. My husband says that we need to cover our eyes when we do things with the litter we have right now because they are too cute. I just want to keep them all and so does my little girl. I have to keep telling her and myself they will be better and happier in there forever homes. But it's just hard. 

loulou85

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Woke up in the night and Venus had moved all kittens except one out of my bedroom and into my babies room under her cot I took the one she left and placed it with her this morning my young children were all in there so I moved them all back to the crate in my room Venus had something to eat then kept picking this kitten it with mouth but she's picking it up by putting its face in her mouth :( i weighed them and she kept trying to take them off me even tho I weigh them whilst there in the nest with mum watching and my main concern is there all losing weigh there 2 days old now and all weigh about 10grams less than birth weight do I intervene now ?

loulou85

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Spoke to vet ive got to start hand rearing to top them up [emoji]128557[/emoji]

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Woke up in the night and Venus had moved all kittens except one out of my bedroom and into my babies room under her cot I took the one she left and placed it with her this morning my young children were all in there so I moved them all back to the crate in my room Venus had something to eat then kept picking this kitten it with mouth but she's picking it up by putting its face in her mouth
i weighed them and she kept trying to take them off me even tho I weigh them whilst there in the nest with mum watching and my main concern is there all losing weigh there 2 days old now and all weigh about 10grams less than birth weight do I intervene now ?
Spoke to vet ive got to start hand rearing to top them up [emoji]128557[/emoji]
Yes, supplementing is necessary!   Immediately!

You do have the gears and kmr / goat milk?

I dont remember what we wrote earlier, but its in lotsa of treads published now parallelly.

And I myself Im going out now.

Good luck!

ps.  be sure mom gets good and nourishing food her too, the milk may return if so.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Mother cat will reject a kitten if she thinks it is too weak to survive or if there is something wrong with it. That may be why she left one behind. Keep a close eye on that little one, if she starts pushing him away you might have to step in and hand rear him yourself. Have you had a look at this?

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/hand-rearing-kittens

Even if she is feeding them they need to be gaining weight every day, so you need to step in and feed them if they're losing weight.

loulou85

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I went to the vets this morning and bought royal canin babycat milk ive tried to feed the kittens several times and there not taking it!! I have seen them feeding off mum everytime ive checked today... Could it be that her milk hadnt come in yet and now has? How long does it usually take for colestrum to turn to milk? The smallest one who was born 88g weighed 76g this morning The rest lost between 5 & 10g off birth weight they are officially 48 hrs old in 5 hours time they seem happy enough not crying or anything only time they cry is when I move them from mum to try and feed them

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Are you trying to bottle feed or syringe feed them? Best to syringe right now. If they are hesitant to make, place a drop of milk at a time inside the cheek (not down the throat.)

Make sure kittens are belly down when feeding.

It can take a bit to get them accustom to eating from a syringe/bottle.

And, yes, it is possible that she was delayed in getting her milk in. BUT, still must supplement them until they are gaining weight appropriately. Very concerning with the weight-loss they have had.

loulou85

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bottle feed I don't have syringes :( they won't entertain it at all

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Your vet or any local pharmacy can give you small syringes (without needles.) Most places won't charge you anything for 2-3 of these. getting a syringe is a MUST for these babies. (Most nursing kittens simply will not use a bottle.)

I prefer 1mL/1cc syringes for such tiny babies as the flow is easier to control.