Status
Not open for further replies.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

Off topic here,
our loved male Cocker Spaniel is the one that bit my son in the face.A breed I was told was wonderful with kids.
We use to have a female Rottie that was wonderful with my kids--go figure another dog that is linked to being aggressive and turned out to be wonderful.
Damn those cockers lol... I was bit, my mom was bit, and my moms ex husband was bit (daily for him)... There was something wrong with him, and it was our fault as well because he was never nuetered (first dog, we didn't research, and we didn't know any better, it's no excuse but... this was over a decade ago)! He also bit the neighbor girl (all she did was put her hand out so he could smell) and he tried to bite the old lady across the street... He ended up dying at 2 years old... He ran after a car coming down the street (yes he was yard trained, but he started to wander, he should have been on a leash)! I learned alot from that situation... Something happend to our dog (not done by us, I think he was givin alcohol by a family memeber at a party) and he was never right in the head again! This is off topic so Im done now... but it proves my point that all breeds may attack if provoked! Sorry for the hijack! I just wish she had a bigger place so all the pets could stay and in a comfortable manner

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fosterkitty

I don't understand why everyone is saying that the dog should be rehomed, and this post especially befuddles me.
i only suggested it because it sounded like space was an issue in their one-bedroom apartment. we have a one-bedroom apt and 3 cats, and i couldn't imagine a 60 lb dog in there. it would be too crowded. add a baby to that, and i can see why the poster is frustrated. there may just be too many living things in that apartment (depending on square footage and layout).

i'm not going to get on her case about having to rehome her cats/dog, or whatever she has to do. sometimes life just sucks, and things don't work out. 2 of my cats came to me because they had to be rehomed. my third was rehomed to me through a shelter. it happens. i don't believe everyone rehomes a pet for frivolous reasons.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do agree that a one bedroom apartment is a small situation for two cats and one dog... Sure you can make it work, but add a baby and two other occupants you have a total of 6 beings in a one bedroom! I wouldn't want to have limited space for any of us (people and animals)! I like to think dogs and cats deserve a decent amount of space as I feel the same for humans! I had a one bedroom that was just under 800sq feet... There was me, my bf, and our two cats... I wouldn't add a 60 pound dog to the equation... Of course this is just personal opinion!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not trying to get on the original poster or anything.

I would just never give up my pets for anything.

I would just make do with what I had or I would plan to move.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that's a myth. ANY bite from a dog could be fatal. they do not "lock" their jaws at all nor does any breed of dog. just because they are strong and powerful, they don't "lock" their jaws. IMO they are really gentle and love bugs. but you're right druggies do like them because they want to look tough by owning a pit bull.
Once, I was playing with a little puppy (someone had it on a leash, taking a walk) that was a pitbull, I didn't know. anyway, this puppy was cute and playful as any other puppy, EXCEPT, when he bit down on my hand, He would Not let Go! Now, I don't know if his hjaws were locked, but it sure hurt, and it was surprising that it took so much effort to get him to let go. Unlike any other puppy play I ever had. It was kind of scary, those little sharp puppy teeth not letting go. So myth or not, there is something different about Pit Bulls and biting. This was in play, he was a baby, nothing bad happened to him for it, but I was shocked at the strength of his jaw. I would not have a Pitbull or any other dog with a "bad" rep around a child. Granted, reps are not always steadfast, but they are based on some truth, and I do believe that instinct can rear its ugly head for any reason under the sun.

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have to agree with Claire. I mean, if you have $3 in your pocket, can't feed your cat, it's sick; that's when I would give the kitty away. But once you have that cat, it's your responsiblity, just like your coming baby. (Congrats BTW!) I would start looking for a different house if in 6 months the house you are looking at still has the family in it. You have a partner, a baby, you, 3 cats, a dog- you're a family now! It's really hard for a family to live in an apartment; I would strongly suggest looking for another house to move into. Or as, others suggested, you can enclose your back yard. We used to live at a place that had an orchard that was covered on top to keep birds out- try that! It shouldn't cost too awful much, it's less of an investment than buying a house... Keep us updated!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

Once, I was playing with a little puppy (someone had it on a leash, taking a walk) that was a pitbull, I didn't know. anyway, this puppy was cute and playful as any other puppy, EXCEPT, when he bit down on my hand, He would Not let Go! Now, I don't know if his hjaws were locked, but it sure hurt, and it was surprising that it took so much effort to get him to let go. Unlike any other puppy play I ever had. It was kind of scary, those little sharp puppy teeth not letting go. So myth or not, there is something different about Pit Bulls and biting. This was in play, he was a baby, nothing bad happened to him for it, but I was shocked at the strength of his jaw. I would not have a Pitbull or any other dog with a "bad" rep around a child. Granted, reps are not always steadfast, but they are based on some truth, and I do believe that instinct can rear its ugly head for any reason under the sun.
I also read that the "lock Jaw" is a myth but I have seen a (former) friend's pit (Titan) hang from a tug of war rope (was hanging down from the door frame) and swinging in the air (he had the rope in his mouth)... Im sure other dogs could do this as well, but it was quite amusing and facinating to watch him 2 feet of the ground, teeth clenched on his tug of war rope, just dangling there! None the less any dog bite hurts...

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I know this is off topic, and I apologize, but I had to respond to this. When my parents brought me home, they had a german shepard/collie mix named Sabre. He was 3 yr old at the time, and my grandparents tried to convince them to get rid of him because of me. He became my best friend, my protector and my brother. He got between me and my mom when she was mad and saved me from many spankings (just spankings on my butt, not beatings..this was back in the day when that was allowed). The only time he ever bit anyone was when a neighborhood boy tried to smack me (we were in grade school) and he did jump up and bit his ear. I could do anything to that sweetie and he would just lick my face. We had to have him put to sleep when he was 16 yrs old. So, it doesn't matter how big the dog is, it depends on how it's trained. The only dog on the block I was scared of growing up was a Chiluaua (sp?). That one was just plain mean!
My family also had a pure bread german shepherd when I was born and he was an awesome dog! It all depends on the training....

jujubee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I didn't vote, but thought I'd put in my two cents.
I agree with re-homing the dog and two of the cats; just because dogs need room. Sure he may be okay now, but when the baby is here, your up at night, diapers, babytoys, baby starts crawling, three cats, one dog, two adults- things will get very tight. Things change when a kid comes into your life. There will be less time for the dog, dogs need alot of attention. I think one cat would be alright, they are more or less self-sufficient. It would better to start finding homes now than to wait until later when your desperate to find a place, you can be more selective now.

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

Ok I don't care if I get knocked for this but there is no statistic saying pitbulls are the best breed, all breeds have good qualities (I know it was just a mere opinion)! I used to work with a girl that was pitbull obsessed (she had 6 at one time, eventually it was less) she used to take them to obedience school, take all of them for walks at night (seperately), play with them, care for them, and treat them right (she was involved in many associations, you name it).... Then one day one of her pits turned on her for no reason (maybe it was due to his previous unknown background, because he was adopted) and he messed her arm up bad (all she did was try to latch his leash to go for a walk), then he was taken to the human society for obidence classes and to be evaluated (whether to be put down or not)... What do you know he bit the trainer! About a week later he killed one of her other dogs (that is her own fault the dog should have been put down by then for having attacked two people)! All dogs no matter what breed have capabilities of turning on you, just as any animal could (usually due to feeling threatend, or because they have been through abuse, or at your own fault, etc)! So I don't think it is fair to classify pitbulls as the nicest breed (nor the worst)... I honestly don't think it is fair to classify any breed as the nicest! Sure it is mere opinion and everyone has their taste... I've known many people who were victims of being bit by pitbulls and other dogs of all classes and all sizes (hell I was bit in the face by what was suppose to be a "domestic wolf" and then on the other hand bit by my little cocker spaniel)! I love pitbulls, I don't want one (not because of their rep, but because I have smaller breeds im interested in), and I do think that they get a bad rep! I don't think that the pitbull needs to leave this girls house hold simply because its a pit, but I also don't think it's fair that the cats automatically have to leave because the bf prefers the dog! Oh btw I forgot to mention I have met some dearly sweet pits in my life as well... Little (well) big lovers... So no Im not against them... I see good and bad situations that happen with all dogs/cats/any animal!
Could you show me where someone said they were the best breed? I know some people said they think they are great dogs, myself included, but I don't think anyone said that it was shown statistically that they were the "best". I do agree with everything else you said though, everydog is capable of biting, from a pit bull, to a chihuahua, to a golden retriever.

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

My golden retriever can be very strong as well when I want something that in her mouth, as was my beagle mix when she was a puppy. Pit bulls are very muscular, basically just a huge muscle with very little fat. The muscle is in their head and jaws as well. They have strong jaws, but their jaws do not "lock", that is a myth.

Also wanted to add that no matter what size space you have, you can make it work, within reason. 3 cats and a dog in an apartment does not sound unreasonable to me, especially since cats sleep 18 hours a day, and dogs get most of their exercise outdoors anyhow. My house is not large, as I stated before, but there are 4 fish, 2 large dogs, 1 small dog, and 6 cats (has been up to 12 with various fosters), and 2 humans. We manage just fine.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know what I can't find it... LOL a duh! Im not sure where I got the idea that I read that? I must have skimmed through to fast and that is what I thought I read... I get the dumb*** award for the day. Not even the point anymore... all in all they shouldn't be stereotyped as a whole, which most of us agree!

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry for what I posted about pittbulls. I was just stating my opinion. I did not mean for people to get upset about it. Everyone has their own opinions. Why would you post questions on forums if you did not want people's true opinions? So, please do not be upset with what I said. The last thing I want to do is make people upset. So, I am sorry for what I said and you are right that I should have not put down pittbulls in general. I am just coming from exprience and I should have not done that. So PLEASE forgive me for what I said!
I do not want people to not like me because of something I said!! I am sorry.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww you have every right to your damned opinion hun! Im not mad at you, you did nothing wrong but stated your piece of mind! I don't think anyone is mad just retaliating with their own opinions! It's a vicious circle
You are still loved!

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No one is upset, hon!!!

Part of our role in belonging to this forum is to help educate other members, and you have every right to your opinion! Pits and rotties (and at one point German Shephards) have gotten a pretty bad rap over the years...and the media just keeps feeding into it, over and over. There are many people out there that want to dispel the myths about these breeds, and who want to see the hype be put in rational perspective...there are no bad dogs, just crappy owners.

As far as the OP's situation goes, I'm seriously on the fence. One part of me says to re-home the cats, or re-home the cats and the dog, and the other part wants me to tell her to suck it up, and hang in there with all of the pets, irregardless of the space issue, particularly if a larger home is in the works.

I guess when we make the decision to adopt or home an animal, that is a decision we need to commit to firmly...anything else means we may have to accept that the future of the pets are in question, meaning possible euthanization down the road, or spending a life sentence in a shelter situation. The only way we can truly guarantee the future of the pet, is to make sure that WE are providing the forever, loving home. Plus, are pets are also our children...they just have fur. They depend on us for food, water, shelter, love, attention, exercise, and medical care. What part about that is NOT parenting?

If the OP can find a way to make the current situation work with all of her animals, then she should exhaust every option available to her to make this possible. If by then, it is still an issue, and everything has been tried to it's fullest extent, then the pets should be re-homed.

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is one of the most upsetting threads Ive read in a long time. Without repeating all of what has already been said, what upsets me the most is with 4 pets, theres 2 who seem disposable (albeit for "reasons"). Back on the children comparison, if someone had 4 children and was told they had no option but to pick the 2 "worst" and get rid of them, the whole world would bend over backwards to save them. I know animals and people arent the same, but arent your pets all equally your pets? Equal members of your family?...I do understand that the OP is upset with "having" to make this decision, but that doesnt mean we should ignore the irresponsibilty of this decision to spare feelings. Some really good suggestions have come from the people disturbed by the original plan, and I hope one of them might work for this family...
In any case, however it works out, I really hope a good loving home who is willing to care for these cats is found. They definately deserve someone willing to commit to and love them for life.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wookie130

As far as the OP's situation goes, I'm seriously on the fence. One part of me says to re-home the cats, or re-home the cats and the dog, and the other part wants me to tell her to suck it up, and hang in there with all of the pets, irregardless of the space issue, particularly if a larger home is in the works.

I guess when we make the decision to adopt or home an animal, that is a decision we need to commit to firmly...anything else means we may have to accept that the future of the pets are in question, meaning possible euthanization down the road, or spending a life sentence in a shelter situation. The only way we can truly guarantee the future of the pet, is to make sure that WE are providing the forever, loving home. Plus, are pets are also our children...they just have fur. They depend on us for food, water, shelter, love, attention, exercise, and medical care. What part about that is NOT parenting?

If the OP can find a way to make the current situation work with all of her animals, then she should exhaust every option available to her to make this possible. If by then, it is still an issue, and everything has been tried to it's fullest extent, then the pets should be re-homed.
That's exactly what I wanted to say. Good job!

A thought for Kittyprincess: what about maximizing vertical space in your apartment for the cats? As ground level is obviously getting crowded with all of you, can you get some stuff going on above your heads in the unused space for the cats? This site says that you can "actually double or triple the size of your catâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s territory without literally increasing the size of your home." They've got a few ideas there about what you might do, and maybe if the cats have a larger area to play they'll be less crazy? Maybe that plus a (small) outdoor enclosure would solve all your problems?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyprincess

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wanna say thank you everyone for taking the time to read my post and to give ur opinon. altho some people were a lil harsh, this conversation turned into something that i didnt expect. we went from talking about what im gonna do bout my cats to dogs biting. i said before i wont get rid of my dog, for the fact theres basically no problem with him i guess. i have made my decision and it was basically made when i started this thread, i just wanted to make sure i was doing the right thing. im keeping my cats, they are apart of my family now. when the baby comes how they will act then idk. but anyway, thanx for the advice that some of you gave!
as for the pm's i got thanks too!!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittyprincess

I wanna say thank you everyone for taking the time to read my post and to give ur opinon. altho some people were a lil harsh, this conversation turned into something that i didnt expect. we went from talking about what im gonna do bout my cats to dogs biting. i said before i wont get rid of my dog, for the fact theres basically no problem with him i guess. i have made my decision and it was basically made when i started this thread, i just wanted to make sure i was doing the right thing. im keeping my cats, they are apart of my family now. when the baby comes how they will act then idk. but anyway, thanx for the advice that some of you gave!
as for the pm's i got thanks too!!
I am glad you are keeping the cats and the dog - you are right - they are family. Everything will work alright and your baby will love being surrounded by animals. Good luck with your pregnancy!

Status
Not open for further replies.