Hardest decision of my life!!!! Need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ClaireBear

I didn't vote, because I don't think either are responsible decisions. I'm a firm believer that once you adopt a pet it is yours for life. Just like a child, you wouldn't get rid of it just because of a difficult time.
Ditto. I hope your able to solve the problem. They may not be human babies but they have feelings just the same and know what stress and upheavel is like

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

I'm sorry, but I DO NOT agree!!!! There ARE things in life that can NOT be helped.Your post was a little harsh IMO
My son(6 years old) just had surgury for Pleural Effusion on May 18th.We had Blaze in the house sometimes UNTIL we were told that my son's health was at stake.I'm sorry, I love my animals, but my skin kids will ALWAYS come first.
My post was not harsh, it was my opinion. I reread it and it doesn't come off as harsh to me. Your post comes off as much harsher, with the bold capital words, highlighted in red. This is not a situation where someones health is at stake. It CAN be worked out if she wanted to. Both options were as if she had decided getting rid of the cats was the only way for the situation to be worked out.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats on your pregnancy

Originally Posted by kittyprincess

1. Let King and Prince outside and they can become outside cats. Only one problem I live by a high way and I would worry day and night about them. My back yard is also very big and suggested to him that I make some kind of huge kennel for them and they could come in at night time, but at the same time, they shouldnt be caged up. I also thought that if I let them out I could some how train them to only stay in our fenced in back yard, but how would I go about that??
Your cats are indoor kitties and should stay that way. To suddenly toss them out on their ear is a cruel thing. There are all kinds of dangers outside from poisons to cars to other cats and other animals. A cat's life expectancy is way down when it's resigned to live outside.

Have you tried "Soft Paws"? Those rubber nails that you put on your cats front and pack nails so that they don't scratch furniture? Have you got a scratch post that they can use? Do you take the time to redirect them to the scratch post and give them treats after they use it as praise so that they know that they did good and will continue to scratch there?

Those are some options you may want to look at.

2. I could find King and Prince a good home and let them go to a place where I know they will have the room to run around and do as they want, but I dont know know any body that is looking for a cat let alone two cats.
It's better to rehome them to loving family where they can remain indoor cats.

See why its hard for me? I love my animals very much and I know that once the baby is here its just going to be too much for us. To live in a one bedroom apartment with a dog 3 cats and a newborn oh and not to mention we also have a saltwater fish tank!!
Then it sounds like rehoming them is the best option. Make sure they go to a home that is suitable for them. Meaning that the people have time to spend with them. Aren't going to make them outdoor cats. And don't have toddlers that will terrorize them.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I would rehome the 60 pound dog. That probably does cause alot of their issues and in a small apartment it really isn't fair to the dog. Any choice you make will be a difficlt. Good luck.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i agree that your post was a tad harsh. not everyone can just pull space or money for a bigger place out of thin air. And you can see how much this is hurting her, but you basically told her if she wanted to, she could make it work, and that she should just buck up and deal with it. Peoples circumstances change, and not everything can be helped. shes here asking for help cause she wants to do whats best for the cats.

I believe that an outside enclosure is the best idea as well. that way, they are out of the house for the most part, and have toys and other things they can destory, and can have fun with it, and not terrorizing the house,lol.

Here are some links to enclosures that have kits....

http://www.thecatsden.net/enclosure.html

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/ca...nce_me_in.html

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im not sure I understand why getting rid of the cats is the only option vs the dog??? I can see that there is obviously one too many occupants (pets) in your small apartment! Of course there may be issues with the cats and the baby, but who is to say there wont be any issues with the dog and baby? You could put a free ad on craigslist for the kitties to find an adopted home (be very careful), make sure to meet the prospective adoptees, ask for references, ask plenty of questions, get to know their background with animals and such! Of course craigslist has some freaks and not so great prospective adoptee's, but it is an option if you are pro-active enough to make sure they find a loving home! The cats may act as they do because they are so enclosed and there is so much going on! I wouldn't let them outdoors if you live close to a hwy... Do they have claws? Do you think they could defend themselves? That is too much to risk, I would honestly look for a indoor loving home, or even consider finding the dog a new home!

An outdoor enclosure is a great idea but can be quite costly to build a spacious and sufficient one!

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried correcting the problem or issues with these 2 cats?

As for the dog I don't think its fair to say he should be rehomed because they live in a apt. Many dogs live in apts (even this size) quite comfortably. But I would say any newer animals should be rehomed before the ones that have been there the longest.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like you are overwhelmed at the moment - a small apartment, a large breed of dog, 3 cats and a baby on the way.

My personal opinion is that to put the cats outside would be cruel after they've only been used to being indoors and that giving them up to a no-kill shelter at this point would be the best thing you could do for them. I don't mean this as a criticism but it seems you just don't have the time or the energy to give them at the moment and this is what they need and certainly deserve so give them that opportunity to be taken in by someone who has that time and energy.

catless_for_now

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a feeling that rehoming the dog is not an option in this case because of the boyfriend, who wants the dog there. Instead she must give up her beloved cats. What makes it worse is that the cats were there first!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Relationships are about compromise and If that is the case (the bf wanting to keep the dog) then that is an unfair decision to have to make! First hand reading the post I myself took the impression that the boyfriend gave her no option of keeping the cats but rather gave her options on how to finds them homes (of course Im not being told this in person so i take it my own way, the downfall of not having a face to face conversation)...No mention of compromise when it comes to the dog! I know they both love their animals and that the dog is supposedly more laid back, which may be the scenario of the situation... I guess I just don't like how the options were put into play! Therefor I did not vote! Poor kitties, doesn't getting there first count for something
?

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
An enclosure outside would be a great way of getting the cats more space and more variety of environment (I'm assuming they'd still be allowed inside, right?) It probably wouldn't have to be very big, but if you can, try to have ramps and higher levels for them to climb on. Cats LOVE heights. A nice enclosure with a good choice of ramps, beds and toys would probably make them really happy.

Good luck. And congratulations on the baby!

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
of the 2 options, i think rehoming them would be better. cats that have been indoors only, do not do well outside.
if rehoming will be too difficult for you, please check with your local shelters and rescues. that would be much safer than going outside.

i have to agree with other posters, rehoming the dog may be a better option. i live in a one bedroom apartment, it's not large. it's me, my hubby and the 3 cats. we do ok. i could not imagine having a large dog in this space though.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would rehome the dog and the two cats. The dog should be on a farm, or someplace where he can excercise. The cats need more room too. If you start now, perhaps you can find no-kill shelters that will assist you in finding them homes.
After you have your baby, you are not going to devote as much attention to these pets, as they apparantly require.
You will be happy, if you know they ahve good homes.

Later when you have a bigger place, you can return the favor by taking in amimals that need a home.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I didn't vote, because I don't think either are responsible decisions. I'm a firm believer that once you adopt a pet it is yours for life. Just like a child, you wouldn't get rid of it just because of a difficult time. I'm sure if you really wanted to there's a way to make keeping the kitties work. Where there's a will there's always a way.
I have to agree with this. You shouldn't have gotten the cats if you are going to get rid of them or put them outside.

If you can't keep them, then you should start listing them for adoption asap.

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I didn't vote, because I don't think either are responsible decisions. I'm a firm believer that once you adopt a pet it is yours for life. Just like a child, you wouldn't get rid of it just because of a difficult time. I'm sure if you really wanted to there's a way to make keeping the kitties work. Where there's a will there's always a way.
I didn't read all the replies....just the first page...but this is MY thoughts, exactly. I am not making judgments....but there is no way I could give my pets up for ANY reason...i would feel terrible.

I had a cat for 18 years of my life (since I was like 12..she died in 2002). That cat and I were TIGHT. So tight, in fact, that if she didn't like something I did (like work midnights....she always slept with me...and hated when I wasn't there), she would pee on something of MINE...mainly clothing she would find somewhere. Didn't touch my parents' things..just mine.

But I lived with it because I loved her to pieces..and was willing to sacrifice it (clothes wash...and really, things knocked down can be put back up).

Knowing the pain of a death of a pet, it would make it harder to even just give one up.

I vote for try and make adjustments....

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I honestly think you need to try to rehome them. It is cruel to just toss them outside in an exclosure/cage like that. And yes, as other members have said- animals are a life long committment- and should not be adopted if they will need to be rehomed/etc everytime a new situation arrises- that being said though, you probably don't need a lecture right now as you're upset so i'll leave it at that
i'm sure you're hurting enough even thinking about what to do with those beautiful kitties. I think it would be in their best interest for you to rehome them.Certainly do no toss them outside to be outdoor kitties- that is not a safe idea. Enclosures are not 100% fool proof- suppose something tears on the enclosure and the escape or another predatory animal tries to get in after them? Also- are you going to be able to afford proper flea/tick prevention for them if you put them outside in an enclosure? Are you going to vaccinate them for the additional things they might be exposed to being outside in an enclosure? That all adds up. I mean this in a kind way hon- but since money is tight, and you have a new baby on the way- it would likely be in the best interest of the cats to rehome them with someone who is able to make that life long committment to them and keep them safe and sound indoors, as well as have the extra money for vet trips and any emergencies that may arrise. That would be the most selfless thing you could do for them would be to place them in a loving new home that is able to provide the things for them that you are unable to at the moment. I have no doubt that you love them
This must be a very hard decision for you to make- thankyou for being brave and trying to decide what is in their best interest.
I pray you have a safe pregnany and all goes well with the upcomming move whenever that happens.

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the enclosed idea for the yard. Now, the pitbull is another story though. They are known not to be the best of dogs, ecspecially for young children. I do not own any dogs but I have before in my life, and having such a small place and soon to have a baby around, having the dog probabally isn't the best idea in my opinion. A pitbull is number one on the list of worst dogs to have. We always had cats ever since I was born and never had a problem growing up that made us have to get rid of the cats.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Wesley's Mom

I like the enclosed idea for the yard. Now, the pitbull is another story though. They are known not to be the best of dogs, ecspecially for young children. I do not own any dogs but I have before in my life, and having such a small place and soon to have a baby around, having the dog probabally isn't the best idea in my opinion. A pitbull is number one on the list of worst dogs to have. We always had cats ever since I was born and never had a problem growing up that made us have to get rid of the cats.
I disagree! Pit bulls are WONDERFUL dogs. (and yes i have quite a bit of experience with them- i work around them every single day at my job at the shelter as well as other breeds) It's the media and people who are not experienced with them that give them a bad name/reputation. A properly trained pit bull can be just as gentle around a child as a golden retriever. And a mistreated golden can be just as likely to attack someone as a pit can. Please do not criticize an entire breed like that. An entire breed does not deserve a bad name just because of what one dog may have done. (and believe me i've seen more bite/attack dogs come into our shelter that are NOT pits than i've seen pits come in for that.) I mean this in a kind way (not trying to be mean at all hon)- but please do not criticize an entire breed of dog simply because of their unfair reputation that the media and people who are uneducated on this breed have given them. APBT's have it hard enough- they do not need any more negative attention. It's not right - they can be just as wonderful and loving as any other animal out there. Now i will say as far as the breed itself goes- yes, it may not be the right breed for everyone. Everyone is different and has a different lifestyle- some breeds may be more well suited for a person than others- so that is correct. I know for me personally, although i think they're cute and nice- begals would not be a good match for me breed wise just for a number of reasons....yet i seem to do better with larger more "high risk" breeds - it just depends
That being said- i wish you had a chance to come down to our shelter and see some of our wonderful APBT's- i know you'd change your mind on them being "the worst breed"- they can be soo loving and wonderful. They just need a chance

Status
Not open for further replies.