Hair care

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always liked Jhirmack EFA. Man, that was a good shampoo! I used that one for years.
You can find it on Amazon occasionally. It has collagen and panthenol (good things for strength and body). ;)

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I changed to the curly girl method of cleansing my hair, I did have to learn a new way of washing my hair so to speak. I had to learn more about the properties of my hair too. Like the fact that my hair is low to normal porosity, keratin will make it straighter but collagen will make it curlier, and water soluble silicones will make it straighter but no 'cones will make it curlier. Water quality makes a difference too. And aside from all that, the hair/scalp may need time to transition to curly girl method. And there will always be things about one's hair that is different from others. My baby fine hair loves oils and butters; this is completely opposite from most with my hair type. I cannot use baking soda or castille soap on my hair. They make my hair hard as a rock. But rinsing with vinegar occasionally is nice for cutting any leftover shampoo in my hair when I do use shampoo. It's all so individual.

To speak with polite people about many options for hair, check out www.naturallycurly.com.
  Exactly! I find that the water quality makes a big difference, too. Hard water will make my hair super dry using the baking soda/ACV method. It is very individual as peaches08 said. It's just like skin care. A skin care regime for one person could be a complete disaster for someone else. Same with hair.

I'm changing my lifestyle to include things that existed before major companies introduced commercial products and told us what is best. Some commercial products work great for people, as I see many of you have your favorites, but I researched the ingredients that these products contain and how they strip hair of all the natural oils. This stripping then causes an over-production of oils to compensate for the loss. Then the hair gets oily faster and we have to wash our hair more, and the cycle starts all over again. I vowed to break the cycle!

And yes, I have heard of using beer and lemon juice. They are also great natural remedies, but they do different things. Beer will give hair bounce, which is great for fine, limp hair. I don't need bounce. My hair expands as it is!

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here on the coast, my water is HARD. So I have to use shampoos with citric acid occasionally. I use the hair and body wash for babies by Johnson's. But that's twice a month at a maximum.

I am acne prone and have oily skin so I found the same to be true there too: strong washes create more oil for me.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here on the coast, my water is HARD. So I have to use shampoos with citric acid occasionally. I use the hair and body wash for babies by Johnson's. But that's twice a month at a maximum.

I am acne prone and have oily skin so I found the same to be true there too: strong washes create more oil for me.
When we were growing up, we only had water from a hand pump in the yard. It was full of iron and who knows what else. I tasted good, but was hard on clothes. We caught rain water in a barrel for washing clothes and hair. You might want to try rain water for your hair.

sarahliz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use Burt's Bees shampoo and conditioner and Bumble and Bumble products. Couldn't be happier. Also, sometimes Aveda mousse.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
GoHolidtic. Lemon juice is supposed to make it shiny.
BlueEyedGirl. How long ago and where were you needing a water pump?
When I was a teenager I got this awful dandruffy thing on my forehead. I went to my doctor but everything he gave me didn't work. One day after I'd gone back to him I went into the kitchen to have coffee with his wife. She went to school with my mum. She asked me what I washed my brushes and combs with. I said persil or whatever eve.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That went by mistake. She said to try lux soap flakes anf guess what? ...... right. It went away.