Hair care

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow. Purple. I love purple. I did have very short hair years ago and coloured it fire red. You could see me coming for miles
My hair is also probably white/silver and when young was a very dark brown. Now it's blondy gold sort of with highlights. How much do you pay in America for colour and highlights?
I don't know what shampoo to use. We only get a few American ones. Head and Shoulders, dove, ,pantene, nivea I think and I can't remember. For some reason snobby me always uses imported except it probably isn't and we have a factory here. So what's the best for tired old coloured hair?

ravencorbie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Price for coloring varies quite a bit.  When I was going to my previous hairdresser (who couldn't remember when we had appointments), it was $45 for all-over color and a cut, but most places are much more expensive, especially if you're getting into foiling or highlights.  Her color didn't stick very long, either.  Now that I'm going to a better (also more expensive) place, I can't afford it anymore.  To be honest, I'd like to find a cheaper place again, not for the coloring, necessarily, but because I like my hair long without bangs, so all I really need is a trim, and it seems crazy to spend near $30 (current place charges $28) just to have someone take care of my split ends.

A side rant:  It takes 10 minutes to do my hair.  Some guys have really elaborate things done.  Why can't hairdressers find a better way to tier their prices than gender?  I don't understand why I have to pay $10-$15 more than a guy when it's only going to take 10 minutes to just trim off the split ends.  My dad says that when they do his hair, it takes 10 minutes.  I can't imagine any haircut going SHORTER in time than that, regardless of gender.

Neither my past place nor my present place do that:  the price is the same regardless of gender -- but every time I've explained my situation, the ones that do have different prices still insist on charging me the female price.  If I wasn't such a flake, I'd go to the really cheap walk-in places, but if I don't have an appointment, I forget to go . . . for months up to a year, and that's not healthy for my hair.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh wow. Purple. I love purple. I did have very short hair years ago and coloured it fire red. You could see me coming for miles
My hair is also probably white/silver and when young was a very dark brown. Now it's blondy gold sort of with highlights. How much do you pay in America for colour and highlights?
I don't know what shampoo to use. We only get a few American ones. Head and Shoulders, dove, ,pantene, nivea I think and I can't remember. For some reason snobby me always uses imported except it probably isn't and we have a factory here. So what's the best for tired old coloured hair?
Color and highlights can run any where from around $100 to over $300 depending on where you go.  Color, partial highlights, cut and the tip usually run around $180 for me.  That is a big reason why I like working from home, I don't get it done nearly as often.  I only get it done maybe 3 times a year now.  I used to get it done 5 or 6 times a year.

For me I use a shampoo and conditioner for color treated hair but I think the main thing with those shampoos is that they are moisturizing.  I have to be careful because my hair is very fine so anything I use has to be lightweight or my hair will go flat and look dirty.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I'm so glad. I thought I must be paying more than in America. It seems to be more or less what you pay plus tip.
My daughter has long hair and she bends forward puts her hair over her face and takes off the split ends like that.
When I was in my 20's I had very long hair. When the kids were people I cut it. Worse decision of my life. Until a few months ago I kept it short. Now I'm growing it. It's already past my shoulders.
I was in hospital for a week in June and it grew quite a bit! When I came home I started to put it up in a pony tail. I didn't do it before as my face is a lot bigger than when I was in my 20's. My daughter came to take me for a blood test and to my health insurance to give all the paperwork for them to pay the hospital bill. When she came I went to dress and took my hair down. She said leave it up mummy. It looks nice and we can see your pretty earrings. She sometimes treats me like a little girl but that's my fault. I'm sorry I'm going on. I'm alone all day except for my kitties so this is company. A week or so later when I was strong enough for the family to come for Friday night supper my d.in law gasped when she saw me. How much weight have you lost. Big smile to all of you. I lost about 10lbs. Hospital food. When they were all sitting my son suddenly said you look pretty mum!!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I buy a different brand of shampoo and conditioner every time I'm running low. but always get something for dry, colored or damaged hair because I wash it every day. It sticks up all over the place in the morning. I don't color it; I stopped when I got the first few gray hairs because I didn't like the idea of having to continually touch up the roots in order not to look "balding" from a distance. The gray hasn't increased much.

I only blow dry when I'm in a hurry or badly in need of a trim.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like to switch it up with the shampoo and conditioner, but mostly I use Alterna Hemp, which I think has just been discontinued.  I mix a little baking soda in with whatever shampoo I'm using.  My cousin is what I call a "high dollar" hairstylist and he says he keeps a bowl of baking soda at his shampoo station.  I don't have my hair colored.  It grows so fast that I would have roots showing in an instant.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shampoo: Baking Soda

Conditioner Rinse: Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar

Leave-In Conditioner: Varies (currently using Sally Hershberger Keratin Spray)

Once Monthly: Tresemme Deep Cleanse Shampoo (to get rid of build-up)

This is one the best changes I made in my life. My hair did a total 180 and it feels so good never to go down the shampoo isle! 

P.S. I do not color my hair. If I do, it totally dries it out.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Shampoo: Baking Soda

Conditioner Rinse: Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar

Leave-In Conditioner: Varies (currently using Sally Hershberger Keratin Spray)

Once Monthly: Tresemme Deep Cleanse Shampoo (to get rid of build-up)

This is one the best changes I made in my life. My hair did a total 180 and it feels so good never to go down the shampoo isle! 

P.S. I do not color my hair. If I do, it totally dries it out.
Wow, how much baking soda do you use for each wash?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't speak for her, but I've used that method (works well but I prefer the results from conditioner for my hair). I just grabbed a handful of baking soda, put it in a cup, added water, poured it over my head and starting rubbing. Grabbed more if I thought I needed it.

Same for the ACV rinse. . .I just splashed some in the cup, added water, and poured it on (carefully, because that stuff stings if it gets in your eyes!). I don't think it's an exact science. Sort of like asking how much shampoo people use---as much as they need to depending on their hair and preferences :tongue2:.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have medium length, wavy hair (falls a few inches past my shoulders). Since this method does not have a "slippery" effect, I brush my hair out gently with a wide paddle brush before getting in the shower to get rid of knots.

I put 4 level tablespoons of baking soda in a quart-size plastic Chinese soup container (cleaned thoroughly, of course, before using for this purpose!). Then I add warm water and stir until the baking soda is dissolved. I put the lid on and set it in the shower. The end result looks like water, and it takes some getting used to washing your hair with something that doesn't suds up. I pour a little at a time and work it through with the pads of my fingers, concentrating mostly on the scalp. After a few minutes, I can actually feel my scalp getting clean. Once I've used up all the baking soda solution, I rinse thoroughly.

Then the ACV rinse. Same thing...4 tablespoons of ACV in a quart-sized container, but I add cool water. I pour this over my scalp and ends, working it through a little, and rinse with the coldest water I can stand (helps seal the cuticle). I will occasionally add a few drops of an essential oil to the ACV rinse and shake the container vigorously with the lid on to mix. Tea tree oil helps with a flaky scalp, geranium helps with dry hair, cedarwood keeps the bugs away (great for summer!), etc.

When I get out the shower, I wrap my hair in a towel and squeeze dry (never rub!). I finish with a leave-in conditioner of some sort, the most natural I can find, preferably without silicones (like dimethicone). Then I comb through with a wide-tooth comb.

Side note: Try not to get the baking soda or ACV solutions in your eyes. It does hurt!

I also rarely ever heat-style my hair because of the damage it can do.
I can't speak for her, but I've used that method (works well but I prefer the results from conditioner for my hair). I just grabbed a handful of baking soda, put it in a cup, added water, poured it over my head and starting rubbing. Grabbed more if I thought I needed it.

Same for the ACV rinse. . .I just splashed some in the cup, added water, and poured it on (carefully, because that stuff stings if it gets in your eyes!). I don't think it's an exact science. Sort of like asking how much shampoo people use---as much as they need to depending on their hair and preferences
Yeh, different hair types will benefit more from one method over another. For example, the conditioner-only method made my hair too greasy, and others might find that the Baking Soda/ACV method makes their hair too dry. The Baking Soda/ACV method can make hair dull (no shine), so that is why a leave-in conditioner with beneficial ingredients is helpful, or even a light-weight oil like jojoba oil, which has properties that mimic the natural sebum in hair and skin.

Also, when I switched, it did take my hair/scalp several months to adjust. I don't wash my hair every day, or else it would totally dry out. The benefit of this method is that it regulates oil production, so I only have to wash my hair once or twice a week. Some people go even longer. In between hair washings, I use a shower cap.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
GoHolistic, that info' is great, thanks.  I think one of my SILs will be keen to try it, and I'll give it a go once my (new) copper and blond chemical enhancements have grown out!  My hair is pretty short so colour never stays long and my hair never really gets a chance to dry out! 

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just tried a new hair routine tonight...my hair looks and feels amazing. This is what I did...

I used Pantene Pro-V Volume shampoo (Clear stuff. I only use transparent shampoos)

Followed by ion Repair Solutions. (Got some cheap from Sally Beauty Supply) Left that sit for 5 minutes.
Put a few drops of ion silk drops (Also from Sallys), followed by a little Got2Be Lustre Lotion in towel dried hair.
Sprayed some heat protector then dried my hair on the cool setting.

I can't stop touching it haha. My hair is colored with some basic hair dye from Wal Mart.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is ACV? I've never heard of washing hair with baking soda.
I changed my shampoo and conditioner to made for dyed hair. It seemed good but the ends are so dry. What can I put just on them till I go to the hairdresser and get the ends trimmed? Oh and I didn't buy ported stuff this time.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What is ACV? I've never heard of washing hair with baking soda.
I changed my shampoo and conditioner to made for dyed hair. It seemed good but the ends are so dry. What can I put just on them till I go to the hairdresser and get the ends trimmed? Oh and I didn't buy ported stuff this time.
ACV is apple cider vinegar.  I remember using it when I was in high school and my hair was very oily,  I think it would be too drying for me now.  I never tried the baking soda.  It's something that has gained popularity the last few years.  The way that I understand it, it doesn't strip oil the way shampoo does so it doesn't trigger overproduction of oil the way shampoo can.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

WOW! Good to know about WEN products, Thanks!! I was thinking I'd like to try that when I could. I won't now! 
I bought the WEN products at our local "As Seen on TV" store.  I didn't have hair loss, but I also didn't get the results that they claim on TV either.  There are 2 types of WEN. There is the almond which they have on the infomercial which they claim is for all hair types.  I did some research before buying it in the store.  I have very, very, very oil scalp. My hair itself is dry.  I found that those with similar oily scalp said that the almond product didn't work for them and left their scalp oily.  However, they said when they got their product in it was a pamphlet that talked about the Cucumber and Mint. Those that tried it said that it was much better.

I did see lots of comments about hair loss and clogged drains (likely from the hair).  However, as I said, I didn't have any more hair loss than I normally do in the shower, but I also didn't get the soft, non-frizzy, smooth ends that they promised.  Some of the products that came in the kit I didn't bother to try because by the feel of them on my hand, they seemed waxy.

I'll stick with Panteen for Colour treated hair. It cleans well, rinses clean, and when I apply a dime sized amount of conditioner to my hand and rub it into the hair ends, it is well absorbed and not greasy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
There are way more than two types of Wen. I was using Pomegranate and Fig.  l liked the scent of Sweet Almond Mint. The Lavender, not so much, although I only used that one twice before I stopped using Wen completely. The Lavender is supposed to build volume in hair; it's for damaged or color-treated hair. 

Just because I lost a ton of hair when I was using Wen doesn't mean that everybody will. The formulas have a lot of menthol and you'll smell it right away. There's a Wen forum and those women are fanatics about Wen. And they will lambast you to no end if you have any trouble with Wen at all. They're pretty rabid about it. I tried to post about my problems with it, but I was using it wrong, I wasn't rinsing enough, I wasn't doing this right, I wasn't doing that right. It was all my fault. Certainly not because of the product. Evidently I don't know how to wash my hair. 
  Oh, and it's supposed to help keep your hair color longer. It pretty much stripped my color right out within about a week. IMO, it's not worth the hype. But again, this is my opinion and my belief, based on my experience.

In fact, if you think you might be interested in Wen, I have a 32-ounce bottle of Lavender that, as I said, I used twice before I stopped using it completely. You can have it, if you want it. I'll mail it to you. PM me, if you're interested. 

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I changed to the curly girl method of cleansing my hair, I did have to learn a new way of washing my hair so to speak. I had to learn more about the properties of my hair too. Like the fact that my hair is low to normal porosity, keratin will make it straighter but collagen will make it curlier, and water soluble silicones will make it straighter but no 'cones will make it curlier. Water quality makes a difference too. And aside from all that, the hair/scalp may need time to transition to curly girl method. And there will always be things about one's hair that is different from others. My baby fine hair loves oils and butters; this is completely opposite from most with my hair type. I cannot use baking soda or castille soap on my hair. They make my hair hard as a rock. But rinsing with vinegar occasionally is nice for cutting any leftover shampoo in my hair when I do use shampoo. It's all so individual.

To speak with polite people about many options for hair, check out www.naturallycurly.com.

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea what you're all talking about.Keratin etc.
I have used the new shampoo and conditioner and it has left my hair soft. As a youngster I'd use vinegar or lemon juice for shine and beer for I've forgotten what. My dad was all 'what's beer doing in the garage'. My dad would have a small whisky weekends that's all and I was too young to drink. It's legal in the UK age 18.
That was interesting wasn't it.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 shampoos that I really miss are:

1. Lemon Up

2. Body on Tap

They were big in the 1980's.  Body on Tap was a shampoo made from beer. And Lemon Up was made with lemons and smelled so delicious!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I always liked Jhirmack EFA. Man, that was a good shampoo! I used that one for years.