Hair care

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
What shampoo and/or conditioner are you using right now? I need something different as my hair seems to be getting lifeless again. I think part of the problem is the dieting. Maybe I'm not getting enough protein.

I've been using Garnier for a long time. In late 2011, I switched to WEN (a product found on QVC and on TV infomercials) and I really liked it. It made my hair so shiny and so soft. But I didn't like all the rinsing I had to do to get the stuff out of my hair all the time. And after a few months of using WEN, my hair started to fall out. So I went back to Garnier.

I had switched stylists right around the time my hair was falling out and when she asked me what I was using and I told her WEN, she told me to stop using it. Now. Many of her clients who were using WEN also started to have trouble with hair loss and she was telling them all to stop using it. Once they did and went back to their old cleansers, the hair loss stopped. It seems to be an ongoing problem with WEN, although if you Google any shampoo/conditioner, you will, no doubt, find lots of stuff on hair loss with those products, too.

Pantene makes my hair very dry and flyaway. So does Suave.

I've been using Garnier Fall Fight Shampoo and the same in Conditioner. After towel-drying and before combing it out, I use Biosilk Therapy. I have to blow my hair dry after I wash it (when I'm going to work) because, otherwise it would still be very damp at noon; my hair is thick with a natural wave that I usually try to blow out. So I use Garnier Blow Dry Perfector Straightening Balm with argon oil to try to halt some of the frizzies. And a little bit of Vidal Sassoon Foaming Air Mousse at the roots for a bit of lift. I don't use a curling iron or rollers anymore; I simply don't have the time in the morning anymore. I will if we're going out on the weekend and I want my hair to look a little nicer. But for normal days, I wash, comb, and blow dry.

I wash my hair every two or three days. It's down past my shoulders now and I have the roots touched-up every 4-5 weeks. I'm getting a little tired of the expense of touch-ups, but I really don't want to go white yet. And I'm beyond grey now.....my hair would be white. I'm not ready.

Most of the time I let my hair down, but when I'm walking or exercising, I put it back in a pony tail. And when I'm cooking, I'll put it back to keep it out of my face and the food.

I'm curious what you all use on your hair. Do you like it? Do you want to switch to something else? Do you color your hair?

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For years I did color my hair. The hairdresser colored it all over with a sandy color and then highlighted it. It was very expensive to keep that way. I loved it because it was so natural looking and hair color did add body to my hair even though I am blessed with thick hair. I decided to stop that and go natural. I used a purple shampoo from the beauty supply store especially to keep the yellow out of the gray. Now it is totally grown out and my hair is a pewter color. I get many more compliments than I did when I colored it. I use Nexxus shampoo, conditioner and hairspray. It is well worth it as I see a big difference in the hair texture, etc than when I used other products. My hair is dry so I only wash it one or two times a week. I also keep a clarifying shampoo I bought from my hairdresser. About every other time, I use it as it cleans the hair products residue from spray, etc. from your hair. Another thing is our water is softened and that helps too. if your water is hard, you might want to try washing it in distilled water or purified water. Ask your hairdresser about that. Hope you get your problems solved.:nod:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also have salon coloring in my hair.  Since I started working from home I don't get it redone as often but it has a neutral brown base color and light golden brown partial highlights.  I use Biolage shampoo and conditioner for color treated hair.  I buy the big bottles.  It seems like a lot when I buy it but it lasts a really long time.  It smells really good which is a nice bonus.

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
My hair is evil to colour - really hard to get the colour to take and often comes out patchy. Even if I get it done in a salon it often has to get done a second time if it's got any length to it. The colours always fade real fast as well - no matter what the colour is or shampoos and treatments I use.
    Because of that I've stuck to getting colour done in salons. As my hair's pretty short just  now it's not too bad for them to do. It also grows out the colour quite well so only have it re-done when I can afford it rather than every 10 or 12 week touching up (by which time it would look terrible).  

Just had hair coloured for 1st time in a year this week as been cutting back on spending. It was a bit of a pain living with boring brown with grey highlights!!! Now I'm a lovely copper colour with blond highlights: it's what I had last year and it grew out nicely, a bit like streaks until it was all cut out.

I spent years buying all the expensive colour preserving shampoos and conditioners, from natural products and paraben free to the ridiculous ones they sell in the salons!  (I got a pile of the fancy salon stuff given free once when a stylist accidentally died my hair the wrong colour). 
   The last couple of years I've gone back to basics and to be honest my hair feels in way better condition and the colour stays in just as long.  I've been using Alberto Balsam, and like the smell of the coconut or berry ones.  I rarely use conditioner now - partly as my hair's so short and partly because I don't think the shampoo's stripping it out so much.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have baby fine blonde hair that's wavy, so I have to treat my hair right or I won't have any! I do the curly girl method of cleansing my hair which means I rarely use sulfates or water soluble silicones. Generally I use VO5 or Suave conditioners to "wash" my hair; I use shampoo maybe twice a month but usually less.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
l try to rotate shampoos on my hair. Two of them are also conditioners so after some time, they build up, then l use a harsher shampoo to strip it, and start over again with conditioning shampoos. The two l have on the go right now are L'Oreal Kids (why not!!) strawberry scented (it smells soooo good), and Pert Plus, again because l like the smell. l only use a separate conditioner after l put in highlights,

l do my own highlights, maybe once a month. Frost and Tip or Frost and Glow, the lightest blonde is what l use, and only on the outermost layer of my hair. My natural hair has darkened with age from being light blonde to a dirty blonde/light brown. l'm also greying at the temples.

At work, l keep my hair back in a clip since l wear a cleanroom suit, and my hair is in a hairnet under a bunny-suit hood for 12 hours a day. When l leave my hair down, l use Vavoom gel so it stays straight and shiny.

ravencorbie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have very fine, thin hair, that is mostly straight if left to its own devices here in western Colorado, but in humid climates, it's very wavy during the humid periods (summer).  To recreate the waviness here, I started using Nioxin -- the shampoo and the conditioner for color-treated hair (even though I am not currently coloring my hair, the people at the store told me that the only difference is that the color-treated has more moisture in it, and when I first tried Nioxin, it really dried out my already dry hair).  This is because my hair is so thin and fine, so if it's not wavy, it just hangs there looking all limp and lifeless.

Then, I went to a salon that stocks Aveda products, so I ended up trying their shampoo that's similar to Nioxin:  Invati.  I like it a lot more because it doesn't weigh as much and it smells great -- the effect is just as good.  I'm still using the Nioxin conditioner with it though.  I wash my hair about 2-3 times a week.  I also wash my hair at night because, like Pam, my hair takes a long time to dry, and hair-dryers make my hair completely unmanageable:  they get full of static and plaster themselves to my face, so I can't open my mouth without getting a ton of hair in it.  I'm not willing to take the time to try to figure out which products might stop this, so I just wash my hair in the evening and go to bed after it's dry.  I also typically don't have time for a shower in the morning, since I tend to get out of bed at the latest possible moment to still make it to work on time.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My hair is in the middle of my back ,thick and hot.I rarely put it up in a ponytail.so I bare with it in the hot sun. I have colored it 2 times myself but haven't been to a salon in a long time. I need my ends trimmed badly so maybe I'll ask my daughter.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wash my hair with conditioner :D. I use the cheaper stuff like Suave, White Rain, or Alberto VO5 because I have to use a lot because it doesn't foam. This is a recommended method for people with thick/wavy/curly/flyaway hair. Works great for me!

Last edited:

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been using Pantene for a while and it seems to work just fine. I absolutely have to wash my hair every single day. It's very short, but curls up overnight and I hate the way it looks. I use a flat iron to straighten the bangs, which curl up in our humid weather, but it doesn't last all day.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW! Good to know about WEN products, Thanks!! I was thinking I'd like to try that when I could. I won't now!  I still have my cosmetology license, so I can buy professional products. I still do for styling products, but for shampoo & conditioner I have just been using Pantene for color treated hair & it keeps my color really well. I just don't have a lot of extra money now to spend on professional shampoo & conditioners, even at stylist cost.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you choose a hair product  do you go by the way it smells , price , size  ?     Referred by a family member, friend  or from TV ?    Do you like to go around smelling like fruit ?

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wen didn't do that to me. I think it's an individual thing.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I do highlight my hair. It's much too light right now and has been for a while. I'm going to ask my stylist to increase the lowlights next time I go. I have had the best luck lately with Pantene, but use the moisturizing versions.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

When you choose a hair product  do you go by the way it smells , price , size  ?     Referred by a family member, friend  or from TV ?    Do you like to go around smelling like fruit ?
These days price is a primary concern, then the smell!  If someone else who has fine flyaway hair says something works for them then I'll be more inclined to try it as well.  Then there's the bottle - it either has to look nice in my bathroom or I have to decant it in to another one that does - it's a colour thing!  I know -  

I'm lucky, my Alberto Balsam Raspberry is pink, and the coconut is white so good on all counts.

ravencorbie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Back when I lived in Illinois, smell and price were primary concerns because my hair always looked good.  Here in western Colorado, where my hair is horrid without special help, I go with effect:  something that helps give my hair fullness without weighing it down.  Then smell and price.  Thankfully, I don't go through shampoo very fast, so even the expensive stuff isn't bank-breaking.  And more expensive shampoo means fewer salon visits, since my hair is healthier longer.  I don't like smelling like fruit:  I prefer more herby-resiny scents.  I remember in high school, I used Salon Selectives -- thinking about it now makes me cringe at the reminder of that apple smell.  Guess I've outgrown it or something.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use suave or some similar priced shampoo and garnier dry hair conditioner.  My hair is so bad I can not just wash it as I will be unable to get it combed.  No idea what is up as when all regrew from a short cut I bleached and dyed it and within days it went back to bleached.  I have done hair in past and never had issue till 2 years ago.  I always have it up in ponytail except to sleep.  Trim it myself when to annoyed.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to buy whatever was on sale but now I have to be careful.  I stick with the salon shampoo and conditioner.  I don't choose for scent, it's just a nice bonus when they do smell nice.  I remember when I was in high school many years ago there was a shampoo called Yucca Dew.  That was the best smelling shampoo I have ever used.  It disappeared a long time ago.  Even if it were still around I probably couldn't use it because it would be too drying.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use all sorts on my hair, after a while though it just stops working and I have to switch anyways, my hair will be greasy right from washing it, and im a stickler for the water running clear,  Ive been swapping between different "colour" shampoos because my hair is purple at the moment, (needs re-doing though) I think im using alberto balsm at the moment, and it smells like blueberries