kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

You got it!

Your turn!
Again, a first Novel:

The story opens in Amsterdam in 1972, when a teenage girl discovers a medieval book and a cache of yellowed letters in her diplomat father's library. The pages of the book are empty except for a woodcut of a dragon. The letters are addressed to: "My dear and unfortunate successor."

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Again, a first Novel:

The story opens in Amsterdam in 1972, when a teenage girl discovers a medieval book and a cache of yellowed letters in her diplomat father's library. The pages of the book are empty except for a woodcut of a dragon. The letters are addressed to: "My dear and unfortunate successor."
What!!!??? Marian hasn't read this one yet?

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

No - too funny!
But I did cheat and looked it up.

I was intrigued by the description, and aside from the one character they name in the synopsis, sounds like a book I would like. But that one mid-evil dude has me leery if it's my sorta thing

But i have a feeling if it suits you, I probably will like it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Marian does not have time to read anything, she is too busy writing books in KatKwery.
I am going to add a slight twist to this thread. I do read other genre than just classics. I am reading something right now by Richard Bachman, AKA _____________.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Marian does not have time to read anything, she is too busy writing books in KatKwery.
I am going to add a slight twist to this thread. I do read other genre than just classics. I am reading something right now by Richard Bachman, AKA _____________.
Stephen King.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Again, a first Novel:

Ok, no one is going to guess this one, I guess. It's The Historian. The thing that the daughter discovers is that Dracula is still alive, as is her mother, who has been hunting Dracula all these years. It was pretty good!

Next???

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ok, no one is going to guess this one, I guess. It's The Historian. The thing that the daughter discovers is that Dracula is still alive, as is her mother, who has been hunting Dracula all these years. It was pretty good!

Next???
I am back to reading classics now that I took time out to read Stephen King. The book I am reading about is known to almost everybody, but hardly anybody has actually read it. I will give just a very short clue.

Nymphet

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am back to reading classics now that I took time out to read Stephen King. The book I am reading about is known to almost everybody, but hardly anybody has actually read it. I will give just a very short clue.

Nymphet
Lolita? (more text, more text)

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Lolita? (more text, more text)
Wow! You are good. Have you read it? I have the annotated version. 150 pages of notes at the end. I hate that. I really want to read the notes but hate flipping back and forth. Actually the editor recommends reading the notes first and then reading a chapter. I revised that a bit and read the first chapter and then read the notes for chapters 1 and 2, and then read chapters 2 and 3, etc. That works better for me. But it is slow going and if you believe the introduction, most people that have read Lolita had no idea of what was going on in the book any more than people did with Animal Farm. I am just now getting into the "shocking" parts. Yes, it only took one word, nymphet to give you all the clue you needed!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Wow! You are good. Have you read it? I have the annotated version. 150 pages of notes at the end. I hate that. I really want to read the notes but hate flipping back and forth. Actually the editor recommends reading the notes first and then reading a chapter. I revised that a bit and read the first chapter and then read the notes for chapters 1 and 2, and then read chapters 2 and 3, etc. That works better for me. But it is slow going and if you believe the introduction, most people that have read Lolita had no idea of what was going on in the book any more than people did with Animal Farm. I am just now getting into the "shocking" parts. Yes, it only took one word, nymphet to give you all the clue you needed!
Actually I haven't read it. How is it? Probably "tame" compared to stuff we read nowadays.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Actually I haven't read it. How is it? Probably "tame" compared to stuff we read nowadays.
It is truly a masterpiece of writing. When I see an author writing in a language other than his native language and can still fill a book with puns and allusions that no other book has matched, except for Ulysses, I know it is going to be hard going for me to catch the entire breadth. As far as being tame, you would be correct, there is nothing graphical in the book that I have seen 1/3 of the way into it. Welp, back to reading...

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It is truly a masterpiece of writing. When I see an author writing in a language other than his native language and can still fill a book with puns and allusions that no other book has matched, except for Ulysses, I know it is going to be hard going for me to catch the entire breadth. As far as being tame, you would be correct, there is nothing graphical in the book that I have seen 1/3 of the way into it. Welp, back to reading...
OK, finished Lolita. And now for something completely different...

I am now reading (or just finished) another book written by an author known for his horror books. But this book explains how to be a writer.

What am I reading?

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

OK, finished Lolita. And now for something completely different...

I am now reading (or just finished) another book written by an author known for his horror books. But this book explains how to be a writer.

What am I reading?
I havent read this, but I know from reading the KatKwery posts, that the book you just finished is: Stephen King's book "On Writing"

haha, now I can explain my book - that is if I'm right

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marianjela

I havent read this, but I know from reading the KatKwery posts, that the book you just finished is: Stephen King's book "On Writing"

I would have said Stephen King, too. So, what is your book?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marianjela

Yes, of course you are write.
You sure can. We will be waiting. I am eyeing my bookcase right now determining which will be my next book. For certain it will be Russian, I found a few 19th century Russian masterpieces at 1/2 price books the other day, including one Dostoevsky that had eluded me. But I shall wait until I hear your "Guess what I am reading?" and then Kluchetta should be up. And hopefully get some more readers on here. This is fun. You give clues about the book you are reading until somebody finally guesses what it is. Then they give clues on the book they are currently reading.

Looks like I am going to have a lot more time for reading now. I am already wondering what I am going to do with myself today with no KatKwery to prepare.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to bed with my book last night, which was my first mistake. I was a little more than half way through the 293-page hardback and was amazed at how much had happened already in just the first half.

Well, I didnt put the book down until my alarm went off at 6:45 this morning and a couple paragraphs later I finished the last page.

My book was written by an Emmy-award winning journalist, in 1998. It was his first novel.

The book opens with the murder of a little boy's mother, by his stepfather. After seeing the brutal slaying the boy becomes an "elective" mute and retreats to his own mind, forgetting what happened to his mother, only remembering that she was now gone for some reason.

Immediately after the murder, the stepfather packs up the trailer they were living in and moves the boy to Oregon, where Davy starts his new school in silence. After a violent biting-episode displayed by Davy after being provoked and teased by some mean-spirited peers, Davy was sent to a special school for severely emotionally disturbed children.

The heroine of the book is an Art Therapist assigned to work with 7-year old Davy. Despite his lack of words, he communicates to her with pictures and as she starts put the puzzle together and discovers the gruesome details, she finds herself caught in a chilling cat-and-mouse game as the step-father realizes that these pictures may reveal more than he is willing to let her walk away with.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

Hush, by Mark Nykanen...

Haven't read it, but it looks interesting... I am a Google Queen... way too much time on my hands...

Amanda
Yay!!!
You go it. The book sat in my closet for some time and I just dug i out a week ago. By the time I got to the middle of the book I couldnt put it down.

Love books like that, though my sleepy, heavy eyelids doth protest!

You're up!

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually have two I'm reading simultaneously... one is from an insanely popular author... and is brand-spankin' new... I'd rather go for the other one... I love putting forth challenges.

Dark Comic Fantasy. A witch with eternal life and beauty (not good for a witch, all due to a curse on her family) struggles to keep cannibalistic tendencies under control while she seeks revenge for the murder of her mentor witch. Where i am now in the book, she is living on the outskirts of a small rag-tag military encampment where a White Knight has appeared to help ready the lackluster troops for war with goblings (my understanding: goblings are goblins but even uglier and vicious).

ETA: I nearly forgot the familiar... he's a Demonic Duck.

The author hasn't put too many books out... but I was looking at the Jasper Fforde collection at Powells and they had a recommendation to this person... this one looked interesting... it's amusing, but not laugh-out-loud funny... it does have its moments...

So... I put forth this challenge... what am I reading?

Amanda

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Joseph Conrad's native language was Polish and he wrote Heart of Darkness and The Secret Sharer in English.

I loved Lolita and I do not think that it is especially tame even now. It is just more artfully not tame than some of the stuff we hear about now that deal with the main topics.

I just finished Barbara Walters's "Audition." It was very interesting. Besides the obvious story about making it in a man's profession at the time, it does give one an insight on how really cut-throat you had to be in the business then and now to succeed. Barbara in many ways was. Also, while she seems to become good friends with the persons that she has met, I didn't think that she treated her family the same way she treated others. You will have to read it for yourself, and BTW, her father was a famous person in his own right.

In general, some of the personalities of the famous persons that came out in her interviews are incredible to me in more ways than one. One of the best chapters was about would interviews over and over and never again. Very interesting.

Now, I am rereading the Harry Potter series. I needed some fantasy.