Getting Rid Of A Stray Cat Whom I Have Been Feeding

thelaughingcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is precisely why we said to get the other cat spayed. They can and will get pregnant that fast. Good lord, I have two, the boy at four months and the girl at three and a half, and he's just been neutered today to avoid any issues if she turns out to be an 'early developer' *laughs*

The mom might be calling you as she's known you to be a kind soul. If she's heavily pregnant, then she might be uncomfortable, something could be wrong or she might just need some food and somewhere safe to have the kits. Can you imagine being in the same situation - cold, starving, heavily pregnant and homeless?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your photos did not work. I’m not understanding what you want to do. If you want to help, bring the mom inside and give her somewhere safe to raise her babies. Then have her spayed when they are 8 weeks old.

The only reason you should be shaken from your previous experience is because you did not take action.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am reading about spaying procedure. It takes 14 days for a cat to heal after spaying. How am I suppose to look after a feral mama cat for two week? Cats are also more agressive after giving birth.

If I bring the other cat home or she returns on her own, she won't attack mama cat and her newborn kittens, right?

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And if I go to capture that other cat, will she recognize me? What if I catch another cat of that breed? If I place food inside a cage any cat will come for it.

thelaughingcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think you might be worrying too much here - if you catch another cat, you can set it free. Frustrating but it happens. One year we tried to catch a rabid squirrel so it could be put down humanely and the local hedgehogs kept wandering into the cage instead *rolls eyes*

The kitten might attack the mama cat but it's a little unlikely. Even if it does happen, then it's easily sorted out with a squirt gun of water aimed at them!

With regards spaying, I've had cats spayed before - they're usually fine 3-4 days after (though I'm not a vet so please don't take that as gospel).

Again, you don't really need to look after them. As long as they're warm, safe and have food every so often, cats are pretty independent.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are right. I am very anxious. I get overwhelmed by what might even not be problems for a lot of other people.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And an innocent animal is suffering because of me.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know that cat very well. My only interaction with it is for two weeks only. I am thinking about going to that house tomorrow with some food but if it is scared that it is not going to act as if it knows me. If I bring a different cat home with me then I am dis locating anothet cat from its territory.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Here in America we have rescue groups that trap feral and stray cats, neuter or spay them, and release them again within 24 hours. You would not need to keep the cat more than a day or two after spaying.

potterotherp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And an innocent animal is suffering because of me.
You need to focus on the good things you did for this cat, even for a short time, and the good intentions you have for the future. Caring for feral cats is difficult and even though we try our best, we can't guarantee that the cats won't suffer. And sometimes we make wrong decisions. That is part of life and part of loving other beings.

As far as the details of getting her inside and to the doctor - you can do it. You will find solutions for the little problems and complications that are involved. Starting from no experience, I trapped 12 outdoor cats in 18 months and got them fixed. It took some cleverness and patience and always trying, even if I didn't know at first how to succeed. The important thing is that you believe in yourself and what you are doing.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want peace of mind and to know that this cat is okay, then I suggest you go to the house where the cat is staying. Bring her bowl with her favorite food in it and perhaps something very strong smelling like tuna fish. Sit down next to the bowl of food and call softly for her and sit quietly and wait. She allowed you to touch her in the past, right? When she comes close to you, pet her and talk to her in a soothing voice. If you are able to do so, pick her up and put her into a pet carrier and take her home with you. If you don't have access to a pet carrier, figure out a way you could safely transport her back to your home. Get her spayed and keep her in your home for the two or three days it takes for recovery. Then release her back outside and continue to provide food for her on a daily basis. If you have decided you don't want to bring her back home with you, please make arrangements for someone to continue to feed and care for her where she is at now. It is getting confusing trying to figure out what exactly what it is that you want to do with her. I'm very happy and relieved to hear that she is still alive and has been located and being cared for at the present. But you need to figure out what you want to do now for her. If you wait too long to see her, it will be harder for her to trust you again.

Are there any animal shelters in Pakistan who can assist you with the pregnant cat on your property? ASPA, Humane Society, Animal Friends? You sound overwhelmed and in need of some kind of assistance.

Last edited:

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She once scratched my hand when I tried to touch her and it bleed . She used to nibble on my legs and she would rub her body against my legs but she was always suspicious of my hands for some reason. I don't think she will allow me to carry her.

There is a bathroom outside our house. Can I keep her there if I bring her home? If i succeed in capturing her then I am taking her straight to the doctor. There is a government Animal hospital here and I have talked to them. They will spay her.

There is an issue of the carrier also. I could not find a cat carrier. Can I again put her in a bag? She will not suffocate inside it, will she? I have no other option available right now.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is a gunny bag actually. Not a proper sports bag.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
N Neo815 it seems that you have two problems to deal with now and you're not sure what is the best thing to do. This is what I would do.

The cat that you moved seems to be staying where she is. If no one complains about her being there I would go over every day and leave some food for her. Work on getting her to trust you again. Moving her again will just be more stress and trauma for her and it might not work out. If you can get her used to you then you can think about trapping her and getting her spayed. You have a few weeks to do this in if she is not obviously pregnant yet.

The original mother cat is probably going to give birth at your home soon. Now, this isn't something anyone really wants to do, but it is possible to spay and abort the kittens before they are born. I understand that you might have a lot of objections to this, but if she gives birth then you will soon have a whole litter of kittens to care for.

If I were in your position I would take the mother to be spayed, allow her to recover at your house for a few days and then release her. If she stays then leave a little food out for her every day. A spayed cat will stop other cats from trying to move in, so if you take care of her it will mean there is less chance of the same problem occurring again.

I think you need some help though. Trapping cats humanely and safely is difficult. I suggest you try to contact some of the links I posted early in this thread.

Pakistan Animal Welfare Society

Pets & Animal Care Organizations in Pakistan

Animal Rescue Organization, Pakistan

We are here to help you if you are willing to do what is best for this cat. I know you didn't mean to do her any harm. I've been working with feral cats for about ten years now and I made a lot of mistakes when I first started too. Getting them spayed and neutered and making sure they have regular food is the best way to help them.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Won't she be happy to return to her old territory? I don't think that I can go to that house everyday.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I take that cat for spay, would she need any vaccines or medication? Because she is a stray cat. I have heard that stray cats have fleas do what is the treatment for that?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Won't she be happy to return to her old territory? I don't think that I can go to that house everyday.
If you can bring her back within the next few days she'll probably settle back in, but any longer than that and she'll start to think of the new house as her home.

The trouble is that if the mother cat is pregnant again she will probably try to chase her away. Pregnant female cats have a very strong instinct to protect their kittens. Even their own older kittens are seen as a threat.

You need to decide what you are going to do about the pregnant cat. As I said, if it was my decision I would get her spayed as soon as possible.

Yes, you can get medicine to treat fleas. The easiest ones to use are drops that you put on the back of the cats neck every month. Use a good quality product like FrontLine. Be careful of the cheaper brands as these can cause very bad allergic reactions.

The vet will be able to give her flea treatment when he spays her.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Norachan Norachan Spay the pregnant cat before its too late. Flea treatment is very easy. My area requires rabies vaccines at the time of spay. The other vaccines are recommended but not required.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The mother cat is gone. She was probably looking for milk. I don't give her milk regularly now.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First I need to get a humane trap or a cat carrier to catch that other cat. I am more worried about her than the mother cat.

The mother cat usually brings her kittens to our house and then take them away one bye one after a few weeks. She has never left a kitten in our house like the last time.