Getting Rid Of A Stray Cat Whom I Have Been Feeding

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please try to find a home with her with someone who will love her. Any cost, like advertising, is still cheap when food, etc. is considered. I had three people who wanted my stray, and she found a good home. There is a lot of ways to advertise free, too. The radio on those buy and sell segments, hanging posters in laundromats and grocery stores, it takes a lot of worry out of it to find her a place. She sounds so scared and needs help.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have access to a humane trap and have found a place to spay the cat who is in the house, I would focus on trapping that cat and getting her to the vet. They will spay her and treat her for fleas. Take her into your house for recovery, which takes 3 or 4 days if there are no complications. Then either keep her inside your home, release her back outside and care for her as an outside cat, or find someone who will adopt her. I would focus on this Kitty right now because she is the one in crisis and the one with whom you have a bond. You can't save every cat, but you can save this one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sir people don't keep stray cats as pets here. They will feed stray cats that move from house to house but they don't keep them in houses. People who take pets usually buy good breeds of cats and dogs.

It is very difficult to find a home for a stray cat because stray cats are already roaming around in very block.

I have asked before that there is a bathroom in our veranda. Can I keep the cat there after she is spayed? Can I release her agter 24 hours? I will try to take her straight to the doctor after I capture her. And she is going to hate me a lot by the end of that trip. Any chances of an attack?

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The main issue is that I could not find a humane trap or a cat carrier. It is difficult to catch a cat without one. I will try to find again tomorrow. There is an animal market here but they are for birds. I will go there but I don't think they keep humane traps for cats.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes you can keep her in your bathroom until she recovers from the spay. She will be anxious but she won't hate you. Cats are very forgiving towards their caregivers about vet trips. If you are willing to continue to feed her after the spay when you release her back outside, then that sounds like the best course of action both for her and for your own peace of mind. You need to go to the house and reconnect with her and stop putting it off because of worries or fears. The more time goes by, the harder it will be to reconnect with her. Just go there and see how it goes.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am sorry you are having such angst. I know you care for her, or you would not have posted this. Don't be surprised if she finds her way back to you. If that happens, just feed her outside since you don't want to "adopt" her. If you no longer wish to do that, then just let her be. Do not attempt to relocate her again. She is used to her surroundings. Try not to stress, you did what you could. Not everyone can take in stray cats that we feed.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I went to that house and spent some time with the cat, offered her some food and then with the help of some people captured it. Then I took her to the vet and got her spayed. He also gave her some injections and told me to brig her back after a few months. It seemed that she has settled in the new house. The house owners have told me that they will take care of her. They have a room in the back of the house. They will keep the cat in there for some days before letting it out. They have other stray cats in the house. I have advised them to spay and neuter them too.

I want to thank you friends for your help. You have helped me in the right direction.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She looked like that cat. I had no time to renew my bond with her. I wraped her in a blanket and took her to the vet. She was not happy.

As I have said before there are lots of cats like her. I saw two on my way to that house.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also she might be afraid because there are dogs in the next house.and the walls are big. May be that is why she has not moved. I have requested to keep her in a room for a few days. This way she will settle in the new place.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I went to that house and spent some time with the cat, offered her some food and then with the help of some people captured it. Then I took her to the vet and got her spayed. He also gave her some injections and told me to brig her back after a few months. It seemed that she has settled in the new house. The house owners have told me that they will take care of her. They have a room in the back of the house. They will keep the cat in there for some days before letting it out. They have other stray cats in the house. I have advised them to spay and neuter them too.

I want to thank you friends for your help. You have helped me in the right direction.
That is wonderful news. Good job.

And thank you for caring and posting here in the first place. And for accepting everyone's advice. You not only saved that one cat from likely having multiple kittens, you've also become an advocate for the stray cats in your area. Who knows how many cats you will be able to help in the future.:catrub:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Good job! Even if it wasn't the same cat you've had a feral female spayed, which means a lot less kittens will be born into that tough life and she will have a much easier time.

:thanks:

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am missing that cat. Whenever the neighbor's dog bark I hope in my heart that she has ran away from that house and come back to me. I tried to take her but my family members don't want a pet. Its been a week and I don't think bringing her back is good for her either. I think she has adjusted to her new environment.

I am reading stories of abandoned cats and they are heartbreaking. There are cats who die from heartbreak when they realize that their owners has abandoned them.

I hope i have not caused that much hurt to that cat. I interacted with her only for two weeks. Whats sad is that I dumped her the day she showed so much affection to me.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is amazing how quickly we get attached! You are totally normal in that she stole your heart so quickly! It is really hard when you do not have the final say in a household as to whether you can bring in an animal. If it is not your decision, then you had no choice. But don't be surprised if she does show back up! I've had strays and ferals show up after weeks. Don't fret - you have done what you can.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am not going there anymore. I am feeding the mama cat dry food and she has started to eat in my presence. But if I go near her she hides under the car. I was leaving the food with her outside the house but today I heard a voice. I came outside and there was another cat sitting near her and the cat was sounding like a baby. Was she challenging the mama cat for fight? I clapped my hands and mama cat ran away but the intruder cat stayed and tried to eat the wet fish food I had left outside for mama cat. I threw a shoe at her and she ran away.

What should I do now? Is leaving food outside a bad idea and will it attract other cats?

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like the mama cat is dependent on you for food, so I wouldn't stop feeding her. Is it possible to get her spayed so she can stop being a mama cat? Also, please don't throw shoes at the other cat. Mama cat may have brought her to you to get fed. She may be one of mama's offspring. Cat parents (yes, toms too) will often lead their offspring to a known food source.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think the other cat was a male. His behavior was agressive towards the cat I feed. The mama cat does not trust me so much and won't allow me near her. She only comes to eat and spends her time somewhere else.

Was that male cat challenging her for the territory? I think she has ran away.