Getting ready for kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jjbutterfly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All seem to be gaining good. 2 at 5.7oz and one at 6 oz and one at 6.1 oz for evening weigh in.

jjbutterfly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All are at 7.9 oz today. I think Thursday makes a week.. didn't someone say they should have doubled their birth weight by the end of the first week. Although I don't know exactly what birth weight was.. just weight about 24 hrs after birth.

jjbutterfly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That would mean they would need to be close to 10oz by Thursday or rather Friday evening. (Friday evening is when I took weights.. about 24 hrs after birth) I guess since they are just at 8oz that it's possible.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are precious!

No need to worry - their weights are very healthy :).

jjbutterfly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok.. so here is the situation, kitten, is apparently only wanting 3 babies. yesterday and today I have seen one that is left out while her and 3 others are about 4 feet away, the last time it happened i know kitten carried 3 of them away. bc i had put them back into a cat bed that has a lip on it. The thing of it is though, she doesnt discriminate in the 4th one being left behind. its ALWAYS DIFFERENT. there is not one specific kitten being singled out but this morning the one left out had lost 3oz. so i made mamma lay down and feed him by himself. then added the other 3 back to her (and him) before i left for work which gave him about 2 hrs with her by himself without fighting over a nipple.. and let me tell you - the little kitten fights over nipples are frikken hilarious! 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't understand what she is doing but just keep putting them all back with her.

Are you leaving her closed up in a bedroom with her kittens, and food and litter, while you are working?

jjbutterfly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
she is in my bedroom under my bed (huge platform bed with more than enough room for me to even crawl under in comfortably (and ive had to to retreive kittens). I have a babygate on my bedroom door so no one can get in there no other animals in the house other than my dog who has no issue clearing a 4 ft fence to socailize with the neighbors dog but is scared to death of the baby gates so i know he is not getting in there - or even close to the gate. litter (cleaned 3x a day bc her poos are awful) is in the bathroom in my room (about a foot from where she goes in and out from under the bed.. food and water (wet and dry food) are about 2 feet from the place she gets in and out of under my bed

jjbutterfly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok problem. The kittens are not really gaining anymore. They're just staying constant pretty much since my last post. They are all just over 8oz

I have kmr, should I start supplementing? I did try to get 1ml into each kitten was having a fit tho bc they'll were crying and they didn't really want the kmr. She made it very difficult trying to take the kittens away from me.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
when you try to feed the kittens, you will need to use a needleless syringe, 1 -2 ml.  tummy down, head up, like they are laying at mom and nursing.  Put a drop into the cheek and wait for the kitten to swallow and take a breath and repeat..  The KMR needs to be warm and so does the kitten.  It takes time and patience, and practice.  Don't rush it.

After feeding burp the kitten.  Try to give 1 - 2 mls to start.  You still want them to nurse from mom.