Getting my Lucas to try raw, a new journey...

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Tammy,
I can hare your frustration..... My Lucky is that same as your Lucas :hugs:

He is eating kibbles, right? The Z/D Dry?

Here is what I am doing for Lucky, that IS working - just a start, but at least something - I do it with Halo freeze dry treats, but you can do it with kibbles too :nod:

Crush the kibbles into a powder with your little blender - or just mash the heck out of it with a rock or something :lol3:
Make little ball of the ground raw meat - then press the meat flat on the palm of your hand..... now you have a flat disk.... looks like a coin, but fine.....
Cover both sides very well with the kibbles powder - make sure the kibble powder sticks!

If it works for lucky........... I am hoping it will work for him too!!! :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
Lucky eats 3-4 of those at a time, soon I will make them thicker :nod:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Tammy.... :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Lucas.... come on sweetie, you'll LIKE it once you try it!!! And I think it will make you feel MUCH better!!!! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That idea sounds great Carolina, I will try that:)  I'm feeling a little more relaxed now because today he has been feeling a little better, he is not as bad as he was yesterday.  So , I'm trying to breath and take things one step at a time.

The problem with Lucas is he detects everything that looks or smells different in his food and he doesn't want to even try.

Lets see what happens.

T hank you Laurie,
  I've been telling Lucas how much you all  care about him and how much he needs to eat this new food to feel better.  Let's see how he does in the next couple of days:)

Hugs, Tammy

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will get the Fortiflora auntie, thank you for letting me know about the sale.  Its been a very though day for me and my Lucas.  I prepared turkey today for my  Lucas.  I tried to entice him with a little canned z/d, I was sooo hopeful that he was going to eat it, in fact I had dreams about it last night and I prayed to God so Lucas will start eating, but he once again refused.  you know how they like open their mouth in a weird way when they smell something funny?  That is the way he acted and I felt so awful because when he sees me preparing something for him he gets so excited thinking is z/d or some canned food, and he was so sad and dissapointed when he saw what it was.

I won't give up, but this is not going to be easy.  I will try beef tomorrow.  The problem with Lucas is that he won't let anyone trick him, once he smells the meat, that's it.  I'm making him try it, but he hated that.

I received in the mail today the pills Barb recommended for Lucas and that I had ordered like two weeks ago, the 2 Docs Allergy Defense capsules, since lucas has been so itchy, I gave him half a pill dissolved in some yougurt, he loves yogurt and he nevers get sick after eating it.

I will continue to update soon, I hope next time is good news.

Tammy
I was posting the same time as you earlier so didn't see this till now. I am so sorry you had a rough day and that Lucas is not yet interested in the raw. I am hoping the Fortiflora will work for Lucas and at least get him enticed to try a bite. Also, fingers crossed :cross: that the Allergy Defense Capsules will help too. I am praying for Lucas and sending you :hugs: :hugs: too. Want to hear the good news that tomorrow he will like the beef!!! :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK it has been a very bad day for me again;(  Lucas hates all the raw meats in the world.  I tried everything, and nothing.  So I was going to try again this afternoon, but I decided to give him the Allergy Defense capsule first, since he only weights 9lbs now I couldn't give him the whole capsule, I have to give him half.  So I took some yogurt and sprinkled half the content of the capsule and mixed it, he loves yougurt.  But , Lucas detected immediately that there was someting different in the yogurt and refused to even try it.  Sooo I took some canned z/d, just a little and mixed it with the half of the medicine and he ate it all.  But his belly got a rash, he just can't have z/d  canned, not even a little. Now I have to find a way to give him the Allergy Defense, I don't want to force him by mixing it with wanter and getting it into his mouth, It will be easier to just buy some empty capsules, small ones and just give them to him, he is used to being pilled and he doesn't mind that.  I hope I can find some at walgreens.

I will try again tomorrow. 

I tried making the "little hamburguer" that is what I call what Carolina suggested, it was a great idea, but he didn't fall for it.   I will just put a small piece of meat in his plate like auntie suggested to see what happens, if that doesn't work I have no idea what I will do.  If he won't eat it I will just them try another food for him and just keep trying the raw, he has to at least try it sometime.

It has been weird because his rash has been  in his back and his eyes are red and swollen, but his belly has been perfectly fine, without any rash. It was only when he had the z/d canned that he got a rash on his belly.  I'm sorry to bore all of you with so  many details, I just want to make sense of what is happening.

Hugs to all, thanks for the good vibes:)

Tammy

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Tammy, :hugs: I am sorry Lucas is not interested in even trying the raw. That is how Pipsqueak is about it too, he won't even try a lick. Did you order the Fortiflora? I went ahead and ordered and it should arrive in a couple of days. It seems to be a miracle worker to get the cat's enticed to at least try the raw. Keep trying and as you say, there has to come a time that Lucas will try a bite :cross: I wish the best for him too and want him to be happy and healthy..... Keep trying with the raw AND you would never bore us with details, so please keep the details coming :bigwink: Prayers for Lucas tonight :wavey: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't give up, Tammy.
  I know this is terribly frustrating, but the end goal is worth the trial.

Have you tried cooking the outside of the meat? Some cats can't resist cooked foods. Besides the yogurt, what other enticements have you tried? Have you read of CatInfo.org's most difficult transition? There's some good info in there you might be able to use.

Hang in there, hon!!!! 
  We're all here for you, and I'm praying for Lucas double-hard.

AC

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yup, I know that longer term cooked doesn't have all the nutrition it should, but I was wondering the same thing - if maybe you cook the meat for him at first? :dk:

Tammy, hang in there sweetie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :hugs:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Gosh, how strange that Lucas could detect the Allergy meds in his yogurt, but not in the Z/D.  Maybe next time you could try a different flavor yogurt? 

I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time getting him to find something in raw that he likes.  But don't give up.  Have you tried crushing some of his dry Z/D and rolling the "hamburgers" in it?

I've got a very picky eater too ( two actually), and that's why I'm very nervous about making the switch, because currently I have to use fortiflora just to get him to eat most canned food, so Lord knows what he'll do when I present raw in front of him.
...  on the other hand, maybe that's what he's been waiting his whole life for

that you find Lucas's "button" and he starts eating raw for you very soon

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just checking in !!!! Hope to hear an update today :cross: - I also was going to mention about cooking just the outsides of the meat then sprinkle the Fortiflora on tiny burgers (just found out Carolina's burgers are the size of peas :lol3:) Just might work for Lucas - to get him started. I bet once he starts he will love it. I found that with Walden, he was leery at first to try - but once he had a few bites, he was sold..... :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: Thinking of Lucas today :rub::rub:

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everybody and thank you for the good vibes and advice.  I did order the fortiflora and I did try making the hamburguer thing, but it didn;t work.  Yes Laurie, I cooked the food, in fact everytime he rejected the raw I took a piece of meat and cooked it and offered to him,  In fact, I wish he could at least eat cooked meat, I know is not the same, but I would just give him the vitamins and other nutrients he needs to have a balanced nutrition, I'm willing to do that, but he doesn't want it.  I think what he hates the most is the smell.

Yes, he detected the Allergy Defense in the yogurt immediately and I wish I could try another flavor, but he only likes Danon Strawberry light yougurt, he hates the others, I tell you, he is a difficult boy.

On the z/d he doesn't detect it at all because the medicine inside the capsule is supposed to taste like liver, and I guess when you mix it with z/d it kinds of blends, but with strawberry yogurt, that's an ugly mix for Mr. Lucas.

I'm starting to think he just won't do this.  It is just too hard.  And he is still sick.  My other choice is to try more limited ingredient foods for now, and keep trying to see what happends.  And I can't continue giving him the allergy deffense with z/d because now his belly is as red as a tomato. 

Let me know what you all think of this?  The canned z/d gives Lucas a red belly, a rash.  Eating the dry z/d has never caused a belly rash, he only has a rash on his back and his eyes are all red and swollen.  My vet once told me that a red belly is almost always  an indication of food allergies.  I was wondering, could it be that  he is not really allergic to the z/d dry and there is something else causing his allergies right now?  It is king of windy here in PR right now.   I'm just rambling here, what do you all think?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everybody and thank you for the good vibes and advice.  I did order the fortiflora and I did try making the hamburguer thing, but it didn;t work.  Yes Laurie, I cooked the food, in fact everytime he rejected the raw I took a piece of meat and cooked it and offered to him,  In fact, I wish he could at least eat cooked meat, I know is not the same, but I would just give him the vitamins and other nutrients he needs to have a balanced nutrition, I'm willing to do that, but he doesn't want it.  I think what he hates the most is the smell.

Yes, he detected the Allergy Defense in the yogurt immediately and I wish I could try another flavor, but he only likes Danon Strawberry light yougurt, he hates the others, I tell you, he is a difficult boy.
On the z/d he doesn't detect it at all because the medicine inside the capsule is supposed to taste like liver, and I guess when you mix it with z/d it kinds of blends, but with strawberry yogurt, that's an ugly mix for Mr. Lucas.

I'm starting to think he just won't do this.  It is just too hard.  And he is still sick.  My other choice is to try more limited ingredient foods for now, and keep trying to see what happends.  And I can't continue giving him the allergy deffense with z/d because now his belly is as red as a tomato. 

Let me know what you all think of this?  The canned z/d gives Lucas a red belly, a rash.  Eating the dry z/d has never caused a belly rash, he only has a rash on his back and his eyes are all red and swollen.  My vet once told me that a red belly is almost always  an indication of food allergies.  I was wondering, could it be that  he is not really allergic to the z/d dry and there is something else causing his allergies right now?  It is king of windy here in PR right now.   I'm just rambling here, what do you all think?
I think you shouldn't give up Tammy..... I think this is a solution for you hun..... I really really do.....
Please please try to stick with it :hugs:

Do you have halo treats in there? Does Amazon delivers it to you?
:hugs::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
Let's find a solution together........ Let's think..... Let;s think together about this...... :hugs:

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Carolina, I haven't given up, I will keep trying, but he is just  too difficult.   It is my fault for feeding him so much dry all his life :( If I ever adopt a kitten again I wil get him started on raw from the beginning.

I don't have access to halo treats, but I can check if I can order.  I just hope he is not allergic to them too.

I will keep trying....

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Carolina, I haven't given up, I will keep trying, but he is just  too difficult.   It is my fault for feeding him so much dry all his life :( If I ever adopt a kitten again I wil get him started on raw from the beginning.

I don't have access to halo treats, but I can check if I can order.  I just hope he is not allergic to them too.

I will keep trying....
Hi hun.... I know it is difficult.... :hug: It has been difficult for me too..... With them in the begining, and Lucky is just like Lucas.... Except she GOES insane for Halo treats - which is my luck.
I am also lucky, that even though Bugsy is allergic to chicken, for some reason, the ONLY chicken he is not is Halo - so I can give to all of them as a treat :clap::clap::clap:
They have beef, Chicken and I think they have Salmon too..... The chicken is the best one for the treats (I know his problem)....
I get it from Amazon - it is on deal right now with Free shipping :clap::clap::clap: Here you go: Halo Freeze Dry Treats on Amazon

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Tammy.... :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Yes, Lucas is a difficult one. :heart3:

A few more thoughts....

The Allergy Defense pills. You're able to pill, Lucas, right? Why not just pill him, rather than try to get him to eat them?

And as to the food...

The z/d wet. He liked. But it is like a mousse. Perhaps part of the problem is texture. Have you tried cooking the food, then putting it in a blender, and whipping it up?

And he loves the z/d dry... have you tried crushing it and sprinkling it on top? Or, like Carolina, making very small pea-sized balls, and rolling them in the crushed z/d dry? Like she has with Lucky, offering him just one with other z/d dry kibbles on a plate?

It's going to take patience and creativity, but we're here to help. I KNOW you can do this!!!!!!

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :heart3: :hugs:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I KNOW this whole process for you with Lucas being so sick has taken it's toll on you, your heart and soul.. Not to mention poor Lucas. It is possible it could be an environmental allergy, sure, that is very possible. But Lucas has these flare-ups after he has been fed a certain protein right?..... But who knows, it could be a little of both. :shame: I think Laurie has a great suggestion!!!!! I have to grind up dry food (in a coffee grinder) and mix it with broth on some day's for my dog Wilbur so I can syringe feed him. I wonder if you rolled the small pea sized raw burger's in the dry z/d if that might get him to try. :dk: Just keep trying - little by little - I know it seems impossible but you have only been at this for a few day's now. I think if we all put our head's together - we can come up with a way to at the very least getting Lucas to just try it. We are here for you, Tammy, all the way :hugs::hugs: I am hopeful for this for both you and your baby Lucas. :heart3:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tammy,
What is Lucas eating exactly, how much of it a day, and how? Is he free-feeding on that throughout the day?
Does he eat on a schedule?
Can you give us exact details of what he eats, how much, and how?

Also, what is his most favorite thing in the whole WORLD?

coatfetish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tammy, I'm sending vibes to both Lucas and you, we all know how stressful it is to be doing all we can to help our babies, and they fight it tooth & claw!

I'm trying to re-transition my cats now too, and I'm getting great ideas here. (at first they loved it, now = not much)

I hope something "clicks" for Lucas quickly!