Getting my Lucas to try raw, a new journey...

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Tammy - glad to see your update - but not glad to hear about Lucas. :sniffle: I am so sorry. I would suggest, and just something to consider if it is stress, is trying Elavil. That is what Pipsqueak was on for three month's and he has been off of it for about two month's and is still doing well. It might just be enough to help him deal better with Nena since she stresses him so. The Elavil really helped with cat issues for Pipsqueak too. :nod: It is something I would definitely recommend trying - it won't hurt. For some reason, when you mentioned the Revolution, I cringed :cringe:..... I don't know how I would feel about putting that on Lucas - how will that help his situation? That is for fleas, worms and mange/mites. Does this vet think it is some sort of mange/mite? Because then they would or should do a skin scraping first. I would just be cautious about putting a topical parasitic medication on Lucas. I still keep you both in my prayers and I really will pray hard for a resolution to Lucas' issues. :hugs: :rub: :hugs: :rub: :hugs: :rub:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Absolutely - everything Lauren just said. :nod: Definitely get that second opinion - both on how to manage the stress (I would totally recommend trying Elavil over prozac!!!!!) AND on whether or not to use Revolution. That just sounds crazy with skin irritation like that. They can TOTALLY check to see if there are skin mites! With his problems you don't want to treat "just to see if it helps." !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, the generic of elavil is amytriptaline, and it isn't expensive. :nod:

Tammy, with the foods and Lucas, there are just too many instances where you've tried something and he reacted - and you removed it and he got better quickly. I'm sorry - he's got sensitivites, and those are just too many to be coincides. :nod: Now - he may have environmental allergies/sensitivities too.

You were thinking about bringing Flaqui in for him to pal around with because they enjoy each other so much. Did you give that a try? Or was it too hard for Flaqui not being able to go out?

I think about you and Lucas all the time. I sure hope you're able to get him settled down. :heart3: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You see?  that is why I love this site so much, I've never heard of Elavil before, but I will now do some research on it.

Yes I know the revolution thing sounds insane, but  since we have tried so many things I guess the vet doesn't know what else to do. 

I know Lucas has allergies or sensitivities to food, the vet says they are coincidences, but I know better.  The problem is that Lucas is in fact a very nervous kitty and everythink upsets him.  I don't know if  I told this, but he hates visitors, he hides under the bed when we have people over, he only comes out if my brother and his wife or my grandma visit. 

Anyway, I'm off to do my search on the Elavil and also I need to start introdicing Lucas to raw again, I'm going nowhere.

TAmmy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh , also , I've had Lucas on Frontline for years now, but I put it on him every two months.  The reason is that even though Lucas is indoors, there are lots of animals in the neighborhood that have fleas and sometimes our neighbor's cats sleep on our balcony and I've found  one or two fleas on Lucas from time to time, so he has always been of anti flea medication and he has never reacted to it. 

I know it is not a  sane idea to use Revolution now when he is sick, but ever the Holistic vet who treated Lucas from distance, prescribed Revolution as soon as he saw how bad his skin was.  It was one of the first things she prescribed.

To tell you the truth , he hasn't been worse since I applied the Revolution, he looks the same.  No worse, no better.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tammy, I don't know if you saw Carolina's most recent update. But Carolina decided to just start putting a dollop of raw on Lucky's kibble plate (covered in Lucky's favorite treat crushed up). She - just yesterday - ate it! The whole thing. Yes - it was like 1/4 teaspoon or something - but that month of waiting paid off. :nod:

I don't know if you're putting a little bit of raw down for Lucas at this point or not. But if you chop it up, so he might accidentally lick some up if he licks off what's on top, and you use yogurt (which he loves, right?) or even crushed kibble on top (or both?!), he may EVENTUALLY venture to lick that off. And EVENTUALLY he may accidentally eat some raw... and then one day he may just eat it!

More vibes for you and your baby boy. :heart3: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

P.S. I'm glad the revolution didn't make him worse... but I am sorry it didn't help. :( :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tammy, I don't know if you saw Carolina's most recent update. But Carolina decided to just start putting a dollop of raw on Lucky's kibble plate (covered in Lucky's favorite treat crushed up). She - just yesterday - ate it! The whole thing. Yes - it was like 1/4 teaspoon or something - but that month of waiting paid off. :nod:
I don't know if you're putting a little bit of raw down for Lucas at this point or not. But if you chop it up, so he might accidentally lick some up if he licks off what's on top, and you use yogurt (which he loves, right?) or even crushed kibble on top (or both?!), he may EVENTUALLY venture to lick that off. And EVENTUALLY he may accidentally eat some raw... and then one day he may just eat it!
More vibes for you and your baby boy. :heart3: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:
P.S. I'm glad the revolution didn't make him worse... but I am sorry it didn't help. :( :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
:yeah:
It used to be like 1/2 tsp - not much, but a glob of raw, covered with her favorite treat..... Halo powder..... I put that every meal, in her bowl with the kibbles. In the beginning she would just lick the top, very carefully - taking only the halo. Then she started, little by little, taking a tiny lick of the raw, by accident. Then yesterday, on day 35 - it happened :thud: she ate the whole thing! Then she did it again and again!
Tonight I doubled the amount - a full tsp - and she ate it all! :clap::clap::clap:
That is 1/4 oz :clap::clap::clap:
Now I will just double that amount every day and see what happens - let's see where she goes :bigthumb:
It DID take 35 days..... But Lucky had NEVER eaten wet in her life! :clap::clap::clap:
You can do it Tammy, on Lucas terms...... with no stress.... one day he might just eat it for you :clap::clap::clap:
:hugs:

Last edited: