Gettin' Old Ain't for Sissies

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

One thing that'll help cold symptoms is gelatin.  It's a good way to get in fluids and it soothes your throat.  You can get store bought Jello brand and put a tablespoon in a cup of hot water and drink it like tea a few times a day.  Be careful to only get the fruit kind that contains gelatin though.  One day when I was sick, I was on my way to work and had to stop at a convenience store for Jello and could only find vanilla (I work a mask that day so I didn't give my cold to my patient who probably gave it to me to start with.)  Vanilla only has cornstarch in it.  The fruit flavors have gelatin.  It really helps a sore throat.  Honey also helps a cough, I mean immediately.  Honey also helps sleep too,  I drink plain gelatin with raw honey and hot water (plus coconut oil) and a splash of milkadamia milk as a bedtime drink.  
YES, I'm a big believer in Jello.  When I was little my mom used to make "sippy jello"  which was prepared Jello, but you would drink it warm and it would fill you up.

In recent years I've added the sugar free to my diet as well as the non flavored mixed with orange juice or fresh blended berries, etc.  I noticed my hair has gotten stronger and my joints don't ache as much as they did before.

Now the eyebrows.  I had gorgeous brows back in the 80's, I'm not sure why but in the early 90's I started plucking thinner brows, well here we are 27 years later and I haven't plucked my brows in 6 years and they're just starting to grow back.

As for the chin hair, I have 3 tree trunks that seem to grow back daily, but on the upside, I no longer have to shave my legs or arm pits.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

YEAH are we THERE yet?? You guys made me laugh!!

We love kitties..MEOW!!

Someone mentioned chin shaving-now I am still kind of young and I have been having this issue since I was 25. So I guess I got lucky. I just pluck it and when I am in a hurry shave it. I thought it was a side affect of getting spayed. But my mom struggled with these pesky things too. So not sure what to tell you..the wonders of being a woman..

oh and someone commented on the body hair-yeah one year my aunt had me stay at her house..and said oh take a bath with your cousin. I was 12 and I think she was 11? Anyways I tried like hell to avoid it because I didn't want her to know I was um...fuzzy. ( I started shaving my legs at 10) And well it was very embarrassing. And I swore if I ever had daughters I would never make them bath with any other girl no matter how close in age they were. If they didn't want to...yeah...needless to say my cousin didn't know what to think...she was still a girl and not going through the changes...god how embarrassing.

The things our families did...good grief. Oh and I have to say pains have been so so this week despite our big blizzard we got. I was a moron and went out to work in it and got a cold..but everyone says it's not possible to catch a cold from being in the cold..hummm well I did!! And I finally feel so so. Sudafed is the only thing helping!
I am surprised - and quite gratified, really - to note that so far this train of though has not so sufficiently derailed itself so as to include a detailed discussion of feminine hygiene products.  YET.

I just Love kitties !

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If that were true then the STD rates in seniors wouldn't be as epidemic as it is.  Those old folks are still chasing and catching the cars.
LOL, I have a friend who works in a nursing home and a family gave a giant pink panda bear stuffed plush toy to their grandmother...

the staff had to finally remove it due to the fact the grandmother would hump it daily!  

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

LOL, I have a friend who works in a nursing home and a family gave a giant pink panda bear stuffed plush toy to their grandmother...

the staff had to finally remove it due to the fact the grandmother would hump it daily!  
It sounds like the panda bear brought out Grandma's inner male feline. 

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The other thing that happens in cold weather is that all the windows are closed, so, if someone else in the office is coming down with something, you're exposed to more of the virus than you would be in the summer.  This is the same thing that happens in a more extreme form in an airplane -- there's almost always someone on board who's feeling under the weather, and the air is being recycled.  A lot of people always get sick after a flight.

I don't have a cold, exactly, but I've been grieving more than usual this month because the first anniversary of my mother's death was one month ago today, and it hit me hard.  The result has been an incredibly stuffy nose (despite Sudafed), which leads to post-nasal drip, which has resulted in a sore throat.  To make it worse, I'm having trouble sleeping because the congestion wakes me up.  I got a hot shower last night before bed, and the steam helped a lot, but I was still awake at 5:30 this morning, which, as far as I'm concerned, is the middle of the night.  (As far as Jasmine is concerned, of course, it's a good time for breakfast.)

Something else that may be helpful is Throat Coat Tea, by Traditional Medicinals.  (Not Lemon Echinacea Throat Coat Tea, also from Traditional Medicinals; it doesn't have slippery elm, which is the active ingredient in Throat Coat Tea.)  Mild, sweet, very easy on the throat.  And if you're diabetic, it won't raise your blood sugar levels, despite the sweetness (from licorice root).

Margret
If you are diabetic, adding coconut oil (unrefined) will help slow down the insulin spike.  That's one reason why I add it to my gelatin drink, plus it makes it taste good!

I"m so sorry about your mom.  The first anniversary is rough.  Hugs.

Last edited:

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What can I say, I'm on a role.  I'm overdosing on Advil while I can.

I have a massive toothache and I'm prepping for a colonoscopy.  I'm literally getting violated at both ends this week. 

Open Wide and Bend Over, no good can come from either

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have a massive toothache and I'm prepping for a colonoscopy.  I'm literally getting violated at both ends this week. 

Open Wide and Bend Over, no good can come from either

Yeah... I sure like them kitties.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background

My eyebrows are just the way they've always been.  As for my chin, I've been shaving it for decades, ever since I decided that plucking was too painful so why bother.  I did recently find it necessary to replace my old electric razor, however.

Somehow, it's always the hair that surprises us with basic life changes.  I remember puberty (unlike those idiots who tell young people "These are the best years of your life!  Enjoy!" and then wonder why the teen suicide rate is so high), and I wasn't at all surprised by growing breasts and hips, or by menstruation, but no one warned me about pubic hair!  Whyever not?

Margret
As for me I miss my eyebrows.  Nobody warned me that over-plucking meant bye-bye eyebrows.  Hypothyroid in my 40's didn't help either.  
you can have some of mine..no way am I plucking eyebrows. too painful...you can have some of my fuzz..I would happily give it away if I could!!

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Way back in the days of yore, the 70's that is, it was popular to have razor thin eyebrows, so I plucked away and they just never did come back.  There weren't that many to start with.  This just goes to show don't let a teenager make any important decisions on their own, lol.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

If that were true then the STD rates in seniors wouldn't be as epidemic as it is.  Those old folks are still chasing and catching the cars.
Didn't say everybody, just me!  I finally figured out that even if I caught the car, I didn't want to deal with it.  All those oil changes, and tune-ups and stuff...I'll just stay on the porch, STD-free!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

I hope you're not taking Advil before a colonoscopy, that's a definite No No. 
  Good luck with the colonoscopy though, they're a "pain in the butt!" 

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I hope you're not taking Advil before a colonoscopy, that's a definite No No. 
  Good luck with the colonoscopy though, they're a "pain in the butt!" 
This would be my last day before I have to stop taking them.  

I have to travel and hour + to my doctors so I'm doing it now so Tuesday i can travel and Wednesday is the DAY!!!!

All meds will stop at 10 tonight.

I can't help thinking about that Alicia Keys song:  This Girl Is On FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

I can't help thinking about that Alicia Keys song:  This Girl Is On FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's one way of putting it! 
  I'm sure you'll be fine. 

I've only had one colonoscopy and it was 2 yrs. ago.  My internist would bring it up from time to time because they recommend it once you're over 50.  I kept putting it off but finally decided to do it because I had good insurance.  Since I'm vegetarian I really had no problem with the prep. Fortunately everything went well so my GI said I don't have to repeat it for 10 yrs.  I figure by then I'll have something else to worry about. 

Don't forget to sing Alicia Keys song on the way to the hospital.  Best of luck! 

Last edited:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I'm down in the dumps.  Chuck Berry passed away at age 90.  (What?  90????)   It's not just losing friends and family that's hard.  Losing musical icons from one's youth is a terrible reminder of mortality. 

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I literally just saw this on the news, he definitely was one of the music world's outstanding icons! 

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh nooooooooooo.  

I saw him a few years ago at BB Kings in NYC.  I wasn't going to go and a friend of mine told me, go see these legends while they're still with us.

It was one of the best shows I've ever been to.  Wow, it's truly a new era.  Very sad.  RIP buddy.

Agreed he was outstanding and will be missed.