Gettin' Old Ain't for Sissies

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I learned to layer my clothing years ago as a runner way before people wore matching "designer" training pants, tank tops, jackets, etc.  The industry is more about the clothes than the sport now.  But one thing layering my clothes taught me was how to stay warm and it has helped me through my golden years.  I don't know if I officially have Raynaud's but the circulation in my fingers and toes are affected by cold weather.  The invention of hand warmers has really helped especially if I'm going to be outdoors.  I have even used them in the car while driving to work in our polar vortex weather days. I stock up on them when they go on sale.  I also wear glove liners under my regular insulated gloves.  

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Today I found my old crummy shoes neatly placed on the kitchen counter among the dishes headed for the dishwasher.  Part of getting old is when you worry you're losing it when you've just done the kind of absent-minded nonsense you've been doing all your life. 
Not me; I'm as sharp as a...

Come on - you know... they're made of metal and they're sharp.  I'm as sharp as a...

I'm as sharp as one of those sharp metal things !

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Today I found my old crummy shoes neatly placed on the kitchen counter among the dishes headed for the dishwasher.  Part of getting old is when you worry you're losing it when you've just done the kind of absent-minded nonsense you've been doing all your life. 
I looked for my hairband for 30 minutes yesterday before I realized it was on my wrist...  
  I'm blaming it on hubby's lobster shift these past 2 days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

I looked for my hairband for 30 minutes yesterday before I realized it was on my wrist...  
I'm not even going to tell you what I read "lobster shift" as.  Note to self...always look through the BOTTOM of the bifocals when on the computer...

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, unusual weather, even unusual cold weather, is one of the results of global warming.  Basically, the whole system goes out of whack, and what happens next is unlikely to please anyone.

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I used to have a friend who kept losing his glasses.  They were just reading glasses, so he'd take them off, fold them, and then hang one earpiece over the collar of his shirt.  And then he couldn't find them, even though this was where he always put them when he took them off.

Of course, I've been nearsighted since childhood, so my glasses go on as soon as I wake up and come off only when I need to clean them or when I need to sleep.  So, after telling my friend where his glasses were about 5 times in two days I finally said, "Steve, I just don't understand it.  How can you lose part of your face?!"

(No, this comment did not break up our friendship.  Steve was bipolar, and the bipolar depression finally caused him to take his own life. This is the only reason I speak of our friendship in the past tense.  I still miss him.)

Margret

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Margret  - I love this (How can you lose part of your face?!") - although I'm sorry your friend had such a tragic ending.  I'm very sorry to learn of this loss. xo

On keeping with getting old.  I woke up feeling great, finally after having a headache for most of the week.  Probably due to hubby's ever changing hours.

However, out of no where my right pointer finger is killing me. LOL I can't figure out what I was doing with it. LOL  - typing?  pouring coffee?  pressing the remote?  I've done nothing today except bs on the phone,  play on TCS, watch tv and drink coffee.

I hate these pop up pains.  What the heck!!????!?!?!?!?!?!?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

@Margret  - I love this (How can you lose part of your face?!") - although I'm sorry your friend had such a tragic ending.  I'm very sorry to learn of this loss. xo

On keeping with getting old.  I woke up feeling great, finally after having a headache for most of the week.  Probably due to hubby's ever changing hours.

However, out of no where my right pointer finger is killing me. LOL I can't figure out what I was doing with it. LOL  - typing?  pouring coffee?  pressing the remote?  I've done nothing today except bs on the phone,  play on TCS, watch tv and drink coffee.

I hate these pop up pains.  What the heck!!????!?!?!?!?!?!?
No idea on the pop-up pains, sorry to say.  If it were me, I'd try meditating at it.  Does that sound crazy?  It frequently works.  Get into a deep meditation and then center your attention in your finger (or wherever it is that hurts), see whether you can find out what kind of pain it is (i.e. muscle, nerve, joint, etc.), and try to direct blood flow to the area to help with healing.  The more you can find out about the problem, the better you can imagine what needs to be done to fix it, and then tell your body to do that.

Steve reminded me a lot of Robin Williams.  When he was just a little bit manic he was one of the most charismatic, outgoing people you could imagine.  When he was really manic he might show up in the middle of the night and dance on your front lawn in the nude, or drive on the wrong side of the road just to find out what it feels like to drive in Britain.  And when he was depressed, it was utterly horrible.  I really wish he'd talked to his doctor about it.  He was on antidepressants, which worked for a while, but apparently the depression got worse and he never thought to ask his doctor for a higher dose, or a different antidepressant. That's one of the major problems with bipolar disorder; it seems that, at least for Steve, it meant that he was never thinking clearly enough to think of talking with his doctor about the depression.  However, given the lack of effective medication, I think that his suicide was justified, and may have been the most rational thing he could come up with.  Which is not to say that I don't grieve him, but I'm glad that he's no longer in pain.

His death is one of the few memories I still have from my lost decade.

Margret

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
SIGH...losing friends is one of the worst part of getting old, and the one that takes the most strength, I think.  Although, @Margret  , as you remind us, we can lose friends at any time.  But as we get older, they fall away so FAST!  

On a lighter note, I'm getting my hand-held showerhead and my shower chair on Monday!  I don't need them often, but when I need them, I need them BADLY!  You haven't lived till you've had to call 911 to get you out of the bathtub!  I was having one of my hip-fits, and it just would not lift me.  Thank goodness, I keep an "emergency nightgown" hanging next to the tub, a big, oversized thing that I can drop over me to avoid blinding emergency personnel,  but I will be thrilled to dispense with it! 

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Other than the health problems that come with not being able to fight my vicious sweet tooth, I like getting older.  Stuff that used to bother me so much just does not anymore.  I'm mellower now.  Yes, if you think I'm bad now, you should've seen me before.  

But then there's losing parents.  That part really sucks.  I miss my mom so bad and always will.  Not a day goes by.  Some days I just want to go be with her, other days I figure that day will come soon enough.  

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've discovered that I'm growing a beard and losing my eyebrows. I have to shave my chin just like a man.  

Have you noticed any surprising changes like this? Men, are you losing the hair on your chest and find it's coming out of your ears? Women, have you got a mustache?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I've discovered that I'm growing a beard and losing my eyebrows. I have to shave my chin just like a man.  

Have you noticed any surprising changes like this? Men, are you losing the hair on your chest and find it's coming out of your ears? Women, have you got a mustache?
My eyebrows are just the way they've always been.  As for my chin, I've been shaving it for decades, ever since I decided that plucking was too painful so why bother.  I did recently find it necessary to replace my old electric razor, however.

Somehow, it's always the hair that surprises us with basic life changes.  I remember puberty (unlike those idiots who tell young people "These are the best years of your life!  Enjoy!" and then wonder why the teen suicide rate is so high), and I wasn't at all surprised by growing breasts and hips, or by menstruation, but no one warned me about pubic hair!  Whyever not?

Margret

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

I remember puberty (unlike those idiots who tell young people "These are the best years of your life!  Enjoy!" and then wonder why the teen suicide rate is so high), and I wasn't at all surprised by growing breasts and hips, or by menstruation, but no one warned me about pubic hair!  Whyever not?
You just made me spit out my afternoon cup of coffee, lol - good one!  And good question, why don't people tell us about pubic hair?