Get your bootie out of the broom closet!!!

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, that verse would seem to be a direct contradiction to the fifth commandment that God gave to Moses, "Thou shalt not kill". (Exodus 20:13)

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no problem.

As far as I see it, whatever faith you follow, as long as you live a good and honest life, and leave this planet a better place than it was when you arrived, you've done well. Our creator is less concerned with what we call Him/Her/Them/It than what we do with the gifts we've been given.

williewz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If that's the "Suffer a witch to live" verse, I've heard that it originally read "a poisoner", but one of the translators (or the guy paying the translators) had a fear of witches and had them change it... dunno if that's true, but it seems a little out of sync of the way I read the bible, since I was brought up to believe that anyone who truly seeks forgiveness will get it. And killing isn't a part of it. Not that I'm downing the pagans here, I DON'T have all the answers! The only people who really know aren't here to tell us about it...

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just curious- but referring to the comment on Exodus 22:18- this is Old Testament, no? I've been told that all that was basically done away with after the arrival of Christ?

Heres my peronal opinion on it- I think that things like that were put in the bible for leverage, control, and to further the writers personal agendas. If you take a lot of the stuff from the Old testament and try to relate it to the world today then a LOT of us would be stoned to death for what we do, and women would still be 'seen and not heard'.

Granted, I think there are a lot of great things in the bible, a lot of truths and wonderful lessons. I also think there are lessons to be learned from Hindus and Buddists.

I couldn't agree more with what Sue said. If I leave this planet a better person than when I started, I've done well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

princess purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Calling all witches!!

how is everyone doing??

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Going to be a gorgeous full moon in Capricorn tomorrow night. Time to get out the green candles and do a prosperity ritual!

thecatguy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't understand Wiccan but I have a question if that's ok....
How can a person be both Wiccan and Christian?

I'll probably get bashed for posting this...Know that I am no Holy Roller, but I was raised around the Baptist Religion all of my life... So from my perspective Wiccan confuses the heck of me when mixed with Christianity...

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to shove my religion down anyone's throat...I just want to understand.

God condemns witchcraft and sorcery because it involves blatant idolatry and paganism. Sometimes it even includes outright worship of Satan, making it extremely vile and wicked in God's sight, as His own Words make plain. Those who seek to obey The Lord, those whose salvation is important to them, should have absolutely nothing to do with it.

In the New Testament:
"The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions, and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit The Kingdom of God." (Galatians 5:19-21 NIV)

"Calling all Witches" -- I'm confused...

Keith

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, combining Christianity with other religions is nothing new. When African slaves were forbidden by their masters to practice voodoo, they took Catholic saints to represent their gods.

Santeria incorporates aspects and rituals of Christianity, also. Many Japanese identify themselves as Christian and also practice Shinto.

As for the commandment "Thou shalt not kill", a more proper translation would be "Thou shalt not murder". Even the Bible illustrates situations, in which killing may be justified: self-defense, to save another life, execution of criminals, etc.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not wiccan but I've been accused of being the wicked witch of the west! So I couldn't be wiccan with all my wickedness!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by katl8e
Actually, combining Christianity with other religions is nothing new. When African slaves were forbidden by their masters to practice voodoo, they took Catholic saints to represent their gods.
So true. I'm not necessarily talking about wiccan here now because I don't know enough about wiccans. But even Christmas had a non-christian beginning. It is still an important, key date for some groups considered "pagan" or "satanists."

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, most "Christian" holidays have pagan origins. Christmas coincides with the Roman Saturnalia, Easter with the spring fertility rites, of many ancient cultures.

Many of the symbols associated with these holidays were originally pagan: mistletoe, Easter eggs, rabbits. The early Church had a hard time converting people from the old ways and had to give them festivals. They took existing ones and gave them a Christian spin.

There was also difficulty converting women from goddess worship. Therefore, the Church created the cult of Mary. Prior to this, Mary was considered a minor figure, by the (male) Church hierarchy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

princess purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was raised catholic and wiccan is not that far of a leap. Catholics light candles, so do wiccans. There are actually alot of things the two have in commen. I went to a catholic highschool for four years. My mom is very strict catholic and she has no problem with me being wiccan.

Wiccan are also refirred to as witches...although some witches aren't wiccan. And wiccan has nothing to do with being wicked. We have one main rule, to harm none.

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was raised Catholic and went through 12 yrs of Catholic school. I have learned more about the origins of many "Catholic" customs and holidays since becoming Pagan than I did as a Christian!

The 12/25 holiday of the birth of a Divine Child goes back millenia before Christ; it was the traditional birthdate of Horus, son of Isis and Osiris (also a redeemer type god), and also of Mithras, a god worshipped in Rome. It was seen as the Birth of the Sun in Celtic and Norse lands, coinciding as it does with the Winter Solstice.

The Feast of the Eastern Star in ancient Egypt was celebrated on the first Full Moon after the Spring Equinox. Easter is calculated the same way. Eostara was a Norse goddess of Springtime and fertility, rabbits and eggs are fertility symbols.

The offering of Bread and Wine has been traditional for millenia, as the symbolic offering of the fruits of the harvest.