Freaking Out...newly Adopted Cat Had Kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LBMBluthMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well just got home from work. Gave the momma some wet kitten food and the babies are still alive, so I guess she knows how not to suffocate them. The only thing I am concerned about is that I haven't seen her in the lying down, nursing position. Mainly because I want to give her time to completely bond with her babies and not terrorize her. How can I confirm she is nursing while I am trying to protect Maeby's emotional state?

Oh and she got the rabies and CPR vaccines. If I or the doctor had known she was pregnant, I doubt any vaccines would have been given

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your best bet is to weigh the babies daily while mom eats her wet food. Use a kitchen scale on a flat surface.

If they are gaining a minimum of 6-10 grams per day, they are fine. Many kittens gain much more than that.

Feed mom lots of wet food!

LBMBluthMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay great, I have a good food scale that will help. So when I weigh them, should I wear plastic gloves. I don't want to discourage her from tending them.

When should I take action? Like they are newborns, I don't want to delay a day or two, if they aren't getting any food.

Again, so sorry for being a worrywart

LBMBluthMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Once a day is fine unless they are not gaining weight.
Just weighed them, Maeby (momma cat) let me pick them up and put them back down w/o freaking out. After weighing, she angled herself on her side and they started to burrow and I am 85% sure I heard suckling.

Their weights as 08/01/2017 (no names, just nicknames based on their coloring)

Stripey - 4.2 ozs./119 grams
Blackie - 4.9 ozs/140 grams

All weights are estimations but that scale is amazingly precise w/ other things so I'm pretty confident.

What else should I do? They cried a lot when I picked them up, does that mean they are hungry?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They most likely cried because you are unfamiliar, which is a bonus of handling them - they get to know you! :)

Did you see them begin to nurse?

The weights are good for a day old. Let's see if they gain by tomorrow.

Were the weights "estimations" because the kittens were moving?

You can weigh a plastic bowl, then zero the scale, then weigh the kittens in the bowl, then subtract the weight of the bowl if that helps.

You can weigh them again in 12 hours if you'd like.

It sounds like they are doing well so far! It's awesome that mom did not get upset when you handled them. :)

LBMBluthMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did you see them begin to nurse?
YES!!!! A complete victory on that front. I just spent about thirty minutes in there not only watching them nurse but helping reposition the smaller kitten to get more direct access; as I moved them to her nipples, Momma Maeby repositioned herself frequently to help them as well. It was like she realized I wanted to help her and the babies, and decided to work with me. Kinda like I was her kitten doula.

I just laid there and watched them, and she was purring, and snoozing, and honestly, the most calm she has ever been in my presence...EVER. She let me pet the kittens while the nurse, though if I tried to disturb their eating, she would draw up her legs to block me.

Now that she feels comfortable, and even happy enough to purr and snooze, with me watching her nurse, I'll spend a lot of time in there just to be a presence.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad she let you touch them and she is nursing then !!!

LBMBluthMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad she let you touch them and she is nursing then !!!
Weighed again this morning. Will weight against tonight to ensure continued weight gain, but then go to weighing only once a day.

Kitties gained 5 grams and 6 grams, respectively between early evening yesterday and this morning.

One does seem to have trouble "losing" the nipple and so he cries when he has lost it, but finds his way back either on his own or if I notice, with my help. Is this something I should be concerned about?

She seems very protective of them and has been devouring her speciality momma cat+newborn canned cat food.

Anything else I should know or be aware of?

We have raised the temperature in the house during the day up to 80 degrees F, and even semi-closed the vents in their room so they won't get cold. The two times I have gone in their since our mega nursing session, she has been close to them (it looks like she might have moved away a bit because I open the door) but not like on top of them, is that going to cause a problem? They are in a carpeted room, have a towel, and she is in close proximity to them so her heat is still radiating. And remember it only seems to be the past two times and at the longest, I was in there 1 min.

Any suggestions or advice is welcomed!

LBMBluthMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Were the weights "estimations" because the kittens were moving?
No, it was because we put a paper towel sheet on the scale so it wouldn't be too cold for them and I thought it had messed up the weight; but it didn't.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
You have many names to choose from, but please don't use Egg/Ann.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The weight gains are excellent for 12 hours!

Mama sounds like she is doing a fine job caring for her babies, and it also sounds like the babies are figuring out how to find the nipple again if they detach.

Enter and exit slowly and quietly. Mama will appreciate not being startled.

How many wet meals is mama getting? She needs at least 4 a day.

:)

LBMBluthMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Oh! good to know! We have been giving her only two - oops, I forgot to count the meal I gave her this morning...so in the past 12-18 hours she has gotten THREE wet meals. Since I work, should i go home during the day and give her more food or can i double up on the cans that i give her in the morning/evening?

Last edited:

LBMBluthMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

We don't take away any of the food. We have both the wet and dry food out for free feed all day. But I can give her more, in the mornings, early evenings, and then at night right before bed.

LBMBluthMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, this helps put me at ease SO much. I was worried about the little stripey one w/ just the weight gain of 5 grams, but I think that is because he/she gets confused about what to do after detaching.

Not going to lie. They are pretty adorable and I'm starting to see a tad of personality come out. Still trying keep myself guarded because I don't want to get too close emotionally for them only to pass away. :-(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, give mom a larger serving in the morning before work, then feed when you get home and again before bed. :)

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, this helps put me at ease SO much. I was worried about the little stripey one w/ just the weight gain of 5 grams, but I think that is because he/she gets confused about what to do after detaching.

Not going to lie. They are pretty adorable and I'm starting to see a tad of personality come out. Still trying keep myself guarded because I don't want to get too close emotionally for them only to pass away. :-(
You are doing well try not to worry