Freaking Out...newly Adopted Cat Had Kittens

LBMBluthMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so glad this forum exists. I am freaking out (like about to have panic attacks).

Backstory:

On June 9, a beautiful, young, and hungry semi-feral cat showed up at our house. We began feeding her, as we thought at first she was someone's pet. We looked for her owners but there were no responses; so we basically accepted her as "ours" and knew that when she became more comfortable with us, we would capture her and take her to the vet to start the initial process of either TNR or domesticating her. We captured her and took her to the vet. After all of her shots, a general check-up, an age estimation of 6 months, and receiving a clean bill of health - with the admission that she had NOT been spayed - and not knowing a lot of alternatives at the time, we just brought her indoors and kept her secluded away from our other cats.

We decided to see if she could adjust to a domesticate life. She adjusted okay; didn't like us, but she enjoyed the indoors, went to the litter box, etc. But after a couple of weeks inside with her still being so terrified of us, we thought she might best enjoy being an outdoor pet cat.

However, we live in a subdivision and our neighbors are crazy. They will capture ANY cat that comes across their yard whether it is stray, feral, or someone's outdoor pet, and take them to not nice places. We knew we couldn't provide her with the outdoor pet life in good conscience and we couldn't just drop her on the side of the road somewhere. We determined that we would get her spayed, and then give her to my friend who is a farmer and always needs barn cats.

Then yesterday, I'm driving home from work my husband calls me and says "uh, she had kittens." So now we have two newborn kittens and a mother cat who is terrified & furious. We moved her and the kittens into a calm, safe, and closed-off/secure room w/ lots of food/water, a clean litter box, and a soft bed. We are only checking on them twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening, to make sure food and water is fine.

But I am still completely freaking out because I don't want the babies to die or for her to harm them. As far as I can tell, she has been caring for them.

in fact, i am afraid her protection might harm them. She has been crouching/hunching/sitting over them since they were born. That's how we found her/them yesterday when she was out in the main living area (though hiding in her regular hiding spot). Last night, when we had to move them separately into the secure room, she ran direct under the bed, and when we moved the babies in there, we placed them on the cat bed we made. This morning when I checked on her, she had moved them under the bed with her and she was still crouching/hunching/sitting OVER them up against the bedroom which also has a towel near it.

So i am terrified she is going to smother them or crush them, but I don't my terror lead me to disrupt her entirely and cause her to freak out and then completely reject them. How can I check that they are still alive/thriving if she won't let me get close to her right now?

Please help. The babies are so cute and she is so sweet (as long as we don't get too close to her), that I don't want anything bad to happen to them :bawling::bawling::bawling::help::help::help::help:

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there are many experts on here who have experience and can help ! She is very young however sounds like she is just trying to protect them ! can you peep under and see her feeding them at all? Maybe when she has something to eat you can check ? Please do keep them indoors though !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LBMBluthMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh! They are all staying indoors until we have a firm plan and they are all fixed. we were actually days away from taking her to be spayed, when this happened! :crackup:

She usually doesn't come out and eat if we are in the room. They are under her so I think they have access to her milk but I don't know how I would go about checking closely without her freaking out. She was already very iffy about us but having the kittens has rightfully made her furious at any deemed threat to her babies.

Basically, I don't want to freak her out so much by checking on the babies that it makes her reject them.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok can you put some food out and leave the room ? Can you hear them at least ? Sarthur2 Sarthur2 or @talkingpeanut may be online and they are great with new born kittens...

LBMBluthMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
AH! I know what I can do, perhaps. I planned on getting her wet cat food and putting it out. So I will act like the door has been shut but stay out of sight, then when she goes for the food, I will go and check them.

What should I check for?

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good idea !! I'm sure it is okay as she is just trying to protect them !!!

LBMBluthMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for being so neurotic. I just don't want to do anything and then have one (or both) of them die because of me.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It will be fine I'm sure ! Cats have instincts and have been having kittens long before we owned them ! She's done the hard bit and good has given birth ! Put some food out and leave the door open so you can peep under the bed

LBMBluthMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How's it going ?
Unfortunately, I am still stuck at work. I'm hoping to finish up here and go get wet cat food, kitty milk, and start my vigil. I'm just so worried :nervous:

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry I thought you were home ! ITa past 8pm here I forget !

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Was she pregnant when you took her to the vet, but not enough that the vet noticed? Good luck & please continue to post here. You will get great advice from the kitten experts mentioned above.

LBMBluthMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Was she pregnant when you took her to the vet, but not enough that the vet noticed? Good luck & please continue to post here. You will get great advice from the kitten experts mentioned above.
She had to have been pregnant, as we only took her three weeks ago, four weeks at max. I guess they couldn't tell or else I would have been super prepared and ready for all of this.

ileen

Super Cat
Purraise
I misread the beginning of your original post & thought you brought her to the vet June 9, but that's just when you first started seeing her. Seems surprising the vet didn't know she was pregnant 3-4 weeks ago.

LBMBluthMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And I thank you all for your help. Again, I am sorry I am freaking out so much. I had a kitten die in my arms once, after an accident while I was playing w/ my brother. Like it was seriously an accident. He, a six/seven year old, was throwing a toy at me, ten/eleven, and it hit the kitten in the head. I am still pretty traumatized by that.

LBMBluthMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I misread the beginning of your original post & thought you brought her to the vet June 9, but that's just when you first started seeing her. Seems surprising the vet didn't know she was pregnant 3-4 weeks ago.
I know right! That is what everyone else has said! I guess you can't sue a vet for malpractice can you? JUST KIDDING!

ileen

Super Cat
Purraise
I'm positive vets have been sued for malpractice, but I agree this is not that type of situation, so glad you are kidding.

LBMBluthMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm positive vets have been sued for malpractice, but I agree this is not that type of situation, so glad you are kidding.
I would never do that in this type of situation; it was not his fault AT ALL. Being feral and never being to a vet before, she had to be sedated so he was working under less than optimal situations.

If I wasn't so freaked out, I would find this completely hysterical. We aren't the type to adopt non-spayed animals or encourage our cats to have kittens, etc. so the last time I had this experience was when I was a seven year old living on a farm and our 3 barn cats gave birth to litters at all the same time.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What vaccines was mom given?

Pregnant cats should not be vaccinated as the vaccines can cause birth defects.

It sounds like mom is caring for her kittens and protecting them.

Hopefully they are doing well! :)