Found Abandoned Kitten!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@Norachan  

No I haven't named him yet. I have a list of a few names, but I'm not sure what to pick.

The list so far:  

Atlas

Chaos (or Khaos)

Kastor (or Castor)

Dragon ('cause who wouldn't want a cat named Dragon?????)

Thor

Stark

Spirit

Sparrow

---- (These two a friend suggested)

Orion

Ambrose

I'm having a hard time naming the little guy. :( He's getting big so fast and I need something to call him. I can't keep calling him "little baby kitty" much longer. He's gunna need to know his name.

My two favorites are Khaos and Kastor, but I like the others too.

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So a quick update:

The little guy is doing well. He's gaining weight rapidly like he should. He weighs 7.1 oz (203 grams) today.  He'll be 2 weeks on Friday! He crawls a lot more now. He tries to sit up in my hand, though he's way too wobbly to even get halfway without falling to his previous position again.

I'll be uploading a few photos of him when he turns 2 weeks.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, that's sweet. Out of the list of names you listed, I like Spirit but I'd like to suggest two other names, first Oreo, second, Courage, as I think either one will fit him well.

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To anyone that can help! 

Okay! So I'm having a bit of trouble with the little guy since yesterday! 

He eats, sleeps, goes to the bathroom--but he's been waking up every 1 1/2-2 hrs instead of the usual 3 hrs to eat (1 1/2 teaspoons--or, 7.5 ml.) I don't know what's wrong. He's fine after I feed him. He just knocks out while I'm stimulating him and goes to sleep again for another 1 1/2-2 hrs. Should I be worried? Or is he just going through a growths spurt of some sorts? He wakes up whines a little, looking for something to suckle on, then sort of falls back asleep when he can't find anything. 

Another thing. I noticed while he takes formula from the bottle, or sometimes syringe when he's being fussy, he tends to feed very fast. It takes him a few minutes to drink the 7.5 ml I give him. Is it normal for him to be feeding so fast? He doesn't aspirate or anything. He just seems eager to get the formula when it's time to feed him. I also noticed that his ears make minimal movement while he feeds. He chooses to make little purring/cooing sounds while he drinks and kneads his paws into my hands. I noticed he doesn't like to lay on my lap or the bed while he drinks, he prefers to be up on his back legs with his tummy in my palm.  

magiksgirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not familiar with how much a baby eats since my babies were with their mom up until the last minute. But since he's getting larger, my guess would be he'll start eating more and more as time goes by. He's growing, he needs more nutrition.

As for the kneading he does, it's something baby kitties do to get mom's milk flowing. Which to me sounds like an indicator he wants more. If he's purring he must be happy.

You're doing a great job of raising this little guy! Keep up the great work!

I hope an expert come in soon to advise some more 

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, he's growing, he's getting eager for more milk and for him to get it faster. So long as he doesn't have any come out his nose or start sneezing, he should be fine. You might have to feed him more as much as he wants to drink as long as he doesn't feel overstuffed. I agree with Magiksgirl as for the kneading, he is trying to get the milk out faster. My Friskies always wanted to sit like that while he drank, never like a proper kitten. One thing, when he starts to get older, do not play with him with your hands, it might be cute now, but it will not be when he is grown, with very sharp teeth. How old is he now? 

Last edited:

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is actually my second cat, so I know about the kneading and the purring and the hands. Haha. He already has some killer claws that I try my best to avoid. I just wanted to make sure with him eating as fast as he does, is okay.

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay! Exciting update today!

At 15 days old, the little guy weighs 8.7 oz (248 grams.) He eats a lot, too.

Yesterday was the first time I left him with my mom for a few hours, and he did NOT like it. I guess he adopted me as his mother, because he fought my mom tooth and nail when she went to feed him. My scent wasn't there so he wasn't having it.

On the side note, He's a lot more active now. He tries to sit up a lot more. I still haven't named him yet.

Aaaaand... HIS EYES ARE FULLY OPEN! :D

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, how cute. Yes, he has claimed you as his mother, with the little ones, they will bond very strongly with you. He'll probably cuddle with you, keep you company when you are upset, even groom you.

anne with cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just love his eyes in the last photo! You have done a great job!  I  didn't notice the stripes until Norachan mentioned it. Is he taking the regular bottle now? And yes he is wanting more food! At least 2 TBSP per feeding, and probably 3 next week. If you think he is wild eating now, just wait until next week!  I was looking at kitten development chart, and with eyes now open it said to keep in low light because eyes are unable to dilate just yet. Ears are just now distinguishing sounds. I can understand him being unhappy when you left him with your mom that day, she didn't smell like you, and that is basically all he really knows about you. Have you been able to determine if s/he is a boy or girl?

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Norachan Norachan
He actually was black and white, but the black is starting to fade to a dark gray and tabby markings have appeared. His tail was the first thing that showed the stripes, though. Right now it's just his sides, tail, and the top of his head that has the stripes.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, he is really doing well!!

I like "Dragon", cuz he's "draggin' " all our hearts (and yours!!) away!!!!

[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What an adorable baby! Around 3 weeks old he will start to toddle around a bit - still shaky and falling over but the beginnings of exploration. Although he is a tiny bit behind, so it could be a few days later for him. Just to put my two cents in, I'm partial to the name Spirit, due to his unwavering will to live, and the way you have imparted your spirit to him and his to you! You will both forever hold each other's spirit near and dear because your bond is so strong that your spirits have become one. Keep up the great job, as well as the fantastic reports! :)

ruxiegirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know nothing about taking care of a baby kitten, but I just want to say that you are AMAZING!! What a commitment you have made to this lucky kitten! I am seriously in awe of the time and dedication you have given to him/her. You will have a loyal friend for life!!

magiksgirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I changed my mind about the "Khaos Dragon" name.

Now that I've seen more pictures of him, he looks like a Little "Atlas" to me
. The name is related to strength and the little one sure does have a lot. 

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I didn't notice all the replies! Thank you everyone for your kind words and support.

I will certainly tell you when I name him.
Right now I'm leaning towards:
Atlas (because I originally wanted to name him that and as Magiksgirl said, it relates to the strength he has.)
Khaos (because he's very chaotic during feeding time and I have a theory that he'll be a little terror soon. Lol)
and Spark (I recently added the name because he is a ball of energy now--and that will continue to grow as he does. Also because it matches the name of my dog Spike.)

For a quick update, he can sit sort of wobbly and his crawling is getting better. His ears have opened a little more--though they are still mostly sealed. He weighs exactly 10 oz at 17 days old. :D
I think his development is about 3-5 days behind. He was premature so it is understandable.
I'll give another update when he's 3 weeks (so on Friday.) Though, I'll try and answer the questions you guys have about him the best I can.

Last edited: