Fostering a momma cat and her 5 kittens for the first time!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Who feels like eating the first 2-3 days after surgery and while in pain?
My other 2 gals, including the one that got the more invasive c-section :)
I hear you though, it's very common, I shouldn't worry yet. I'll see how she does over night and talk to the vet again tomorrow.

She gave me a slightly better view down there, I think she's fine so far?
I'm giving her some space for now, watching from another room, in case she needs to use the litter box or something.

Attachments

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She was spayed yesterday correct? I can tell you from when my girl was spayed in June she didn't eat at all the first day (she couldn't when I brought her home she couldn't walk if she tried she would take like 2 wobbly steps and fall over, like she was drunk for almost 18 hours) next day she had very little interest in eating maybe a few bites but she did drink not her normal amount but she was drinking more than eating
2 days after she ate a little more
I'd say by day 3 and 4 is when she actually got her whole appetite back.as long as she is drinking and eating a little bit she should be ok
Just monitor her for any changes in her behavior.

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She was spayed yesterday correct? I can tell you from when my girl was spayed in June she didn't eat at all the first day (she couldn't when I brought her home she couldn't walk if she tried she would take like 2 wobbly steps and fall over, like she was drunk for almost 18 hours) next day she had very little interest in eating maybe a few bites but she did drink not her normal amount but she was drinking more than eating
2 days after she ate a little more
I'd say by day 3 and 4 is when she actually got her whole appetite back.as long as she is drinking and eating a little bit she should be ok
Just monitor her for any changes in her behavior.
Good to know!

I guess I'm extra paranoid. A bit over a year ago, my old dude went in for an ultrasound, we were investigating anemia, and he had some sedative for it (was CKD related, but his other numbers were unusually good, so vet recommended checking for other causes). He didn't want to eat when he got home, which was unusual for him, he always got munchies after e.g. dental anesthesia, but I had read cats may not eat the first evening, was even in the discharge notes. He didn't eat at all over night, so I called first thing in the morning, and they told me to bring him in, just in case. Turns out, his kidney values were through the roof, he had to be on IV fluids for a few days. Thankfully he was fine (at least for almost another year)
But ye he was not eating at all, not even liquid treats, and had a ton of health issues.

Just saw momma washing herself on the camera now. She was really good about it, didn't really lick at her incision, just thoroughly washed all her fur.
I checked the security cameras too. She'd been pacing all night, looking for the kittens. She went in the litter box a few times too, but it looked more like she was looking for the kittens, rather than training to do anything. And no licking at the incision, she is such a good girl!

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good to know!

I guess I'm extra paranoid. A bit over a year ago, my old dude went in for an ultrasound, we were investigating anemia, and he had some sedative for it (was CKD related, but his other numbers were unusually good, so vet recommended checking for other causes). He didn't want to eat when he got home, which was unusual for him, he always got munchies after e.g. dental anesthesia, but I had read cats may not eat the first evening, was even in the discharge notes. He didn't eat at all over night, so I called first thing in the morning, and they told me to bring him in, just in case. Turns out, his kidney values were through the roof, he had to be on IV fluids for a few days. Thankfully he was fine (at least for almost another year)
But ye he was not eating at all, not even liquid treats, and had a ton of health issues.

Just saw momma washing herself on the camera now. She was really good about it, didn't really lick at her incision, just thoroughly washed all her fur.
I checked the security cameras too. She'd been pacing all night, looking for the kittens. She went in the litter box a few times too, but it looked more like she was looking for the kittens, rather than training to do anything. And no licking at the incision, she is such a good girl!
That's good she is leaving it alone. Gabby got to hers where it separated at the ends I had taken her in 2 times after her spay like I mentioned she was literally folding herself in half like a lawnchair to try to lick it and the cone scraping it is what I'm guessing caused it to separate so had to get her a longer cone. Her incision was so long though compared to every incision I have seen on here hers was insanely long... this is what you don't ever want it to look like... the arrows are where it was separating. You can definitely see how hers was unnecessarily long too. I wish I would have taken her elsewhere... it was the place we adopted her. Her spay was included in the adoption. They also said she was spayed. Then she came in heat... we were thinking ovarian remnant syndrome but when they shaved her it was clear she just hadn't been spayed at all like the previous owners said.
She did heal fine though as you can see in the second picture.

BTW the green tint is the tattoo she licked it off... somehow... it's a long story almost had a fire at the house that's when she hid and got to it with her cone on.. that's when we realized and took her in for a check and longer cone

Attachments

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's good she is leaving it alone. Gabby got to hers where it separated at the ends I had taken her in 2 times after her spay like I mentioned she was literally folding herself in half like a lawnchair to try to lick it and the cone scraping it is what I'm guessing caused it to separate so had to get her a longer cone. Her incision was so long though compared to every incision I have seen on here hers was insanely long... this is what you don't ever want it to look like... the arrows are where it was separating. You can definitely see how hers was unnecessarily long too. I wish I would have taken her elsewhere... it was the place we adopted her. Her spay was included in the adoption. They also said she was spayed. Then she came in heat... we were thinking ovarian remnant syndrome but when they shaved her it was clear she just hadn't been spayed at all like the previous owners said.
She did heal fine though as you can see in the second picture.

BTW the green tint is the tattoo she licked it off... somehow... it's a long story almost had a fire at the house that's when she hid and got to it with her cone on.. that's when we realized and took her in for a check and longer cone
That is a big one, looks almost like the one my gal with the c-section had. Crazy that the place you adopted her from just lied like that. The one I foster for can't afford to spay them all, but at least they're transparent about it, and they make the adopters pinky promise they'll get them spayed.

Nice pictures, though! I hope momma will let me take as good a look at her incision. Vet wants a picture in 10 days, not sure how I'll actually get one. With my gals, I played with them and get a pic while on their back or stretching for the toy, but momma isn't as playful... maybe she will be, in a week?

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a big one, looks almost like the one my gal with the c-section had. Crazy that the place you adopted her from just lied like that. The one I foster for can't afford to spay them all, but at least they're transparent about it, and they make the adopters pinky promise they'll get them spayed.

Nice pictures, though! I hope momma will let me take as good a look at her incision. Vet wants a picture in 10 days, not sure how I'll actually get one. With my gals, I played with them and get a pic while on their back or stretching for the toy, but momma isn't as playful... maybe she will be, in a week?
No they didn't lie the people who surrendered her did... her papers said she was spayed. It was no problem when I told the shelter they told me just to bring her in and they would spay her. The people who surrendered her it was a lady and her husband or boyfriend abused the cat bad.. I have had her for almost a year now and she has come such a long way not as skittish at all. It's a long story really but she is doing great.

But yea the lady said she was spayed when she dropped her off. So they thought she was. When I said that she was going in heat and the papers said she was spayed they still told me to bring her in that they would do exploratory surgery to see if they could get anything that was left behind. But when they shaved her they called us and told us she wasn't spayed that the paper was wrong.

The shelter was great but I will never understand why they cut her like they did. They butchered her.

I'm so glad she healed as well as she did.

Honestly if you can get her one time while she is sleeping if she sleeps on her back any or playing with her to get her on her back would be 2 good options to get a full on picture like that. Gabby was sleeping when I got that picture.

I felt horrible it was so bad. I'm so glad she healed ok but it did take a longer time than normal but looking at her incision length and the issues that were involved I think she healed in a descent amount of time considering everything.

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No they didn't lie the people who surrendered her did... her papers said she was spayed. It was no problem when I told the shelter they told me just to bring her in and they would spay her. The people who surrendered her it was a lady and her husband or boyfriend abused the cat bad.. I have had her for almost a year now and she has come such a long way not as skittish at all. It's a long story really but she is doing great.

But yea the lady said she was spayed when she dropped her off. So they thought she was. When I said that she was going in heat and the papers said she was spayed they still told me to bring her in that they would do exploratory surgery to see if they could get anything that was left behind. But when they shaved her they called us and told us she wasn't spayed that the paper was wrong.

The shelter was great but I will never understand why they cut her like they did. They butchered her.

I'm so glad she healed as well as she did.

Honestly if you can get her one time while she is sleeping if she sleeps on her back any or playing with her to get her on her back would be 2 good options to get a full on picture like that. Gabby was sleeping when I got that picture.

I felt horrible it was so bad. I'm so glad she healed ok but it did take a longer time than normal but looking at her incision length and the issues that were involved I think she healed in a descent amount of time considering everything.
Ah that makes sense. I guess they thought that whoever spayed her previously messed her up, left part of an ovary or something, and they wanted to check everything, so they needed a bigger hole to actually look, instead of just a tiny one to insert a tool and yeet out the ovaries, without actually seeing the insides? I guess a fancier vet could have used an endoscope to look, but that probably would have cost more, and not have been as thorough, even if it would have led to a faster recovery.

Momma pretty much never sleeps on her back. She started sleeping on her side, but her fat folds cover the incision. It'll be tough. I'll prob set a security camera app and a phone to catch her while she's washing or stretching.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah that makes sense. I guess they thought that whoever spayed her previously messed her up, left part of an ovary or something, and they wanted to check everything, so they needed a bigger hole to actually look, instead of just a tiny one to insert a tool and yeet out the ovaries, without actually seeing the insides? I guess a fancier vet could have used an endoscope to look, but that probably would have cost more, and not have been as thorough, even if it would have led to a faster recovery.

Momma pretty much never sleeps on her back. She started sleeping on her side, but her fat folds cover the incision. It'll be tough. I'll prob set a security camera app and a phone to catch her while she's washing or stretching.
They thought they were going to have to do explaratory surgery but when they shaved her they called and told us she had not been spayed and asked if we wanted them to spay her while she was already there asleep and shaved we said yea. They didn't cut her until they let us know she had not been spayed. They just did a huge incision for God knows why... I wish I would have taken her somewhere else. Because the adoption which includes the spay, vaccinations, and fiv felv testing was only 68 bucks.. I know they had a lot of animals that day to do I think the vet was just in a hurry.. and butchered my baby in the process...

Haha my little lady's pouch folds over just like that I find it kinda cute lol but it was rough when she was healing from her spay because of the complications..

Hopefully you can in a few days just get her to play with a toy and have someone get the picture.
Or in a few days you can give her some rubs and kind of roll her over a little to get the picture if she let's you. Or if while she is sleeping you can kind of lift her leg a little and move her little pouch you should be able to get a picture then.. if your cat will sleep through a little light maneuvering

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They thought they were going to have to do explaratory surgery but when they shaved her they called and told us she had not been spayed and asked if we wanted them to spay her while she was already there asleep and shaved we said yea. They didn't cut her until they let us know she had not been spayed. They just did a huge incision for God knows why... I wish I would have taken her somewhere else. Because the adoption which includes the spay, vaccinations, and fiv felv testing was only 68 bucks.. I know they had a lot of animals that day to do I think the vet was just in a hurry.. and butchered my baby in the process...

Haha my little lady's pouch folds over just like that I find it kinda cute lol but it was rough when she was healing from her spay because of the complications..

Hopefully you can in a few days just get her to play with a toy and have someone get the picture.
Or in a few days you can give her some rubs and kind of roll her over a little to get the picture if she let's you. Or if while she is sleeping you can kind of lift her leg a little and move her little pouch you should be able to get a picture then.. if your cat will sleep through a little light maneuvering
Oof I can't think of a good medical reason, then. Glad she has you and recovered!
It also makes me extra glad this rescue takes cats to the same fancy pants vet I use for my own cats, rather than having a vet of their own or going to the cheaper ones (though I think they get a discount)

I am still very nervous about touching her. As of late, she scratched me a few times during clicker training - she got spooked as the kittens were swarming around her, making noise, and then when I was giving her a treat and she got distracted, she went like "aaa what is this hand doing here" and bap. Didn't hurt much, but I am a wee bit extra nervous.
At worst, I'll get my bite-proof gloves and try moving her. I think it will be less scary than taking her to the vet again.

I'm extra worried that she doesn't want any pork chop. I often give her a few bits of my food if safe for cats, like unspiced pork chops, and she usually devours them, but now, she just walked away from them. I tried giving her some tuna soup too, she doesn't want any. Didn't want any more gravy from regular food either.
If she still doesn't eat over night, I'll call as soon as the vet opens.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oof I can't think of a good medical reason, then. Glad she has you and recovered!
It also makes me extra glad this rescue takes cats to the same fancy pants vet I use for my own cats, rather than having a vet of their own or going to the cheaper ones (though I think they get a discount)

I am still very nervous about touching her. As of late, she scratched me a few times during clicker training - she got spooked as the kittens were swarming around her, making noise, and then when I was giving her a treat and she got distracted, she went like "aaa what is this hand doing here" and bap. Didn't hurt much, but I am a wee bit extra nervous.
At worst, I'll get my bite-proof gloves and try moving her. I think it will be less scary than taking her to the vet again.

I'm extra worried that she doesn't want any pork chop. I often give her a few bits of my food if safe for cats, like unspiced pork chops, and she usually devours them, but now, she just walked away from them. I tried giving her some tuna soup too, she doesn't want any. Didn't want any more gravy from regular food either.
If she still doesn't eat over night, I'll call as soon as the vet opens.
With the anesthesia the pain she may be feeling and the pain medication could be hindering her appetite. I personally wouldn't unless she is completely off food and water or if she isn't starting to eat by tomorrow.
What has she actually ate today? How is her drinking? And bathroom habits?

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
With the anesthesia the pain she may be feeling and the pain medication could be hindering her appetite. I personally wouldn't unless she is completely off food and water or if she isn't starting to eat by tomorrow.
What has she actually ate today? How is her drinking? And bathroom habits?
Today, she ate:
  • 2x Dreamies Creamy with Meloxicam and Canikur Pro
  • Licked most of the sauce from 2x Whiskas Junior, but none of the meat
  • Licked a bit of the sauce from a Hill's Adult
Found a pee clump just now. I don't remember what I scooped this morning, I don't think there was anything, from the security camera, but I can't see clearly.
I think I saw her go to the fountain once, not sure if she actually drank. No footage of her drinking from the water bowl, though the motion sensor sometimes doesn't activate (HomeKit Video sucks)

I just got a good look at the stitch too, it looks teeeny tiny, seems fine to me. I feel bad for not having my phone with me.

One thing I'm debating is whether to let the kittens with her tonight or not. Vet said it's best to let her heal for 1-2 days without kittens. She really wants them, she keeps following me to the door whenever I go out, and is almost dashing out past me. Bf is worried that they will knead on her too forcefully while suckling and rip out the stitches.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today, she ate:
  • 2x Dreamies Creamy with Meloxicam and Canikur Pro
  • Licked most of the sauce from 2x Whiskas Junior, but none of the meat
  • Licked a bit of the sauce from a Hill's Adult
Found a pee clump just now. I don't remember what I scooped this morning, I don't think there was anything, from the security camera, but I can't see clearly.
I think I saw her go to the fountain once, not sure if she actually drank. No footage of her drinking from the water bowl, though the motion sensor sometimes doesn't activate (HomeKit Video sucks)

I just got a good look at the stitch too, it looks teeeny tiny, seems fine to me. I feel bad for not having my phone with me.

One thing I'm debating is whether to let the kittens with her tonight or not. Vet said it's best to let her heal for 1-2 days without kittens. She really wants them, she keeps following me to the door whenever I go out, and is almost dashing out past me. Bf is worried that they will knead on her too forcefully while suckling and rip out the stitches.
So she has external sutures? I would let her have the 2 full days just to be safe. This is just my opinion and what I would do personally. Her licking the sauce from the food is good that means she is getting some nutrients and liquid for hydration. And the fact she peed is good.

Gabby didn't have a bm until the 3rd day in the morning. She peed 1 time the day after and peed like 3 times the 3rd day along with her first bm since surgery. This is what my girls bathroom habits looked like.

I think I would keep her away tonight and maybe with supervision let the kittens be with her tomorrow but not alone.

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So she has external sutures? I would let her have the 2 full days just to be safe. This is just my opinion and what I would do personally. Her licking the sauce from the food is good that means she is getting some nutrients and liquid for hydration. And the fact she peed is good.

Gabby didn't have a bm until the 3rd day in the morning. She peed 1 time the day after and peed like 3 times the 3rd day along with her first bm since surgery. This is what my girls bathroom habits looked like.

I think I would keep her away tonight and maybe with supervision let the kittens be with her tomorrow but not alone.
They are internal.

I gave in, though :(

But... it worked! She licked her favorite kitten a bit, and then she went for the kibble bowl! Now she's munching on some cat grass.

Hopefully this won't turn out to be a huge mistake 😬

Attachments

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I have ever seen momma this happy...
It is evident she is extremely happy. Just keep an eye on her and check her incision site often just to make sure there are no problems. I think she will be good though. She really shouldn't be climbing the scratcher and running/jumping around but she is clearly excited.. as long as she leaves her incision site alone and she isn't going absolutely crazy running around she should be fine. Like I said just check her periodically to be certain

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yea she is a little bit too happy... I hope this doesn't turn out to be a horrible mistake. We're supposed to go to sleep soon too, it's past midnight...

One thing is clear, though. She needs to go to a home with her favorite kitten. She absolutely can't go alone.

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Momma still eating, and hasn't ripped anything yet! 🥳

The kittens I'm keeping went to the vet for vaccines and microchip. My gal purred while the vet petted her! 🥹

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just a boring update, nothing major happening.

Momma had a bit of a bout of low appetite this weekend, she only wanted to eat if I added a liquid treat on top of the food. But now she's back to her normal. She even was willing to get some clicker training just now!

I started separating the kittens and momma at feeding time, so kittens get kitten food and momma gets adult food (Gourmet Gold Ragout, her favorite!). Hopefully between her getting more adult food and playing a bit more, she'll get a bit less chubby by the time we find the perfect home for her.

Incision seems ok so far. Pics attached, let me know if you see anything I should worry about. I also need to send one to the vet as a follow-up Friday or Monday, hopefully this style of pics will be good enough.

I got an update about the kittens that got adopted too. Seems they're doing well, though still a bit skittish. But that's normal after just 1 week, and thankfully their owners know this and are awesome.

The kittens I'm keeping have been really attention-seeking with momma. Particularly my boy, he's been nuzzling her constantly. And yet it's still the other kitten that's her favorite, who she licks and goes to play with more often than not. I feel kinda bad for them, loving momma and yet not being the favorite...

My boy also seems a bit constipated... poo is coming out in spheres, and he's straining a bit. But he has a good appetite, and seems well. He just got seen by a vet on Friday, after all. I think it's because I'm changing their foods a bit too often, trying to find the best quality affordable wet food they enjoy eating (and kinda failing). I'll keep an eye on him and bug the vet if it gets worse.

Attachments

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I messed up and there was another pee in the bed 😫
I forgot to put the aluminum foil on top of the pee spot. At least I hope that was it, otherwise I don't know what to do.
Bf is too exhausted to be upset about it. 😣

It was going so well, too. I've been able to clicker train her yesterday and today, she's been interested in snacks again and is doing great. I started petting her head again before giving her food, and she's really calm about it, no hissing or scratching.

There really is an amazing cat in there, she's really trying. She slow blinks at me whenever I look at her.
But who the heck is going to adopt a cat they can't pet that pees in their bed and might scratch them... Along with a sweet kitten that I can show a video that he loves belly rubs, but he'll be hiding whenever someone comes to visit... We'd need to really hit the jackpot as far as pet owners go...

I was really hoping to get to help a 2nd round of kittens this year. Thankfully the rescue managed to find some foster homes for the other mommas and kittens, though they keep telling us how they wish everyone was as good with them as we are...
I'm still kinda hoping we can help some other cats this year. My 2 semi-feral girls still have some siblings at this rescue. They are so skittish, nobody wants to adopt them. And yet with how my gals are turning out to be the mildest, sweetest cats ever who love being petted, I'd bet the siblings would be similar, if only they got the chance to be in a home for a few months, instead of at the shelter. But that isn't really going to be an option either if I don't find a good home for momma 😢

Last edited: