Fostering a momma cat and her 5 kittens for the first time!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please don't feel bad.. you're doing the best you can like you said you are stretched pretty thin between caring for everyone. It is good that she swatted you gently.. well not good that she swatted but good that it was gently lol

I hope everything works out well.

That is absolutely amazing mews about the kittens.

Also about momma being spayed while she stays there to recover. It might be a little hard but with the 3rs kitten still there she may be better than you may think about losing the 2.

It isn't good that she peed in the bed but maybe after her spay that will fix itself?? Maybe she is trying to mark territory in there? You can talk to the vet about it and see what they recommend when you take her in for her spay.
Yep she is very sweet about it, clearly just a startled "aaa what's this hand doing here?!" and not anything truly aggressive.
Still, I was seriously sweating as the kids were getting relatively close to her during the visit today. I did tell them to make sure to stay out of range from her, and thankfully everyone was really nice, kids kept their distance, and momma just stared at us wide-eyed from her windowsill. 😅

She's also losing the 2 most independent kittens, who rarely suckle or snuggle up to her much any more, and keeping the 2 most clingy boys, one of which will hopefully go with her when we find her a home. So hopefully that will work out ok too.

I'm hoping the spay will help the pee issues too, and maybe make her more calm and friendly. I'm getting a list of questions/info ready for the vet.

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Btw I guess I should ask, what else should I prep for giving the 2 kittens away tomorrow?

So far, I've trimmed their nails, while making a video to show the adopters how to do so. I have some papers printed out, with a list of their favorite stuff, their personalities, and my phone number, in case there are questions or problems.

I am also preparing a care package with the following:
  • kibble
  • 2-3 days worth of wet food
  • litter
  • a scent soaked blanky
  • a few of each cat's favorite toys
And I'm just loving on them and taking lotsa pics. Currently chilling in the bedroom, while the gal is sitting in bed with me watching birdies, and the boy is in the cat tree, playing with the other kittens and momma. Trying hard not to cry as I realize it may be the last time I e.g. weigh them. Pics included.

Anything else I should do for tomorrow? Either to make their transition easier, or to say goodbye to them?

Attachments

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, the two kittens left for their forever home. I'm proud of myself for managing to not cry while they were picking them up! Though both me and my bf were just kinda binge-playing video games today, not really up for much else. I hope they will send a few updates with how they're doing. I made sure to pack a nice care package, I also added a bunch of their favorite treats.

Poor momma was calm at first, she's gotten used to us taking kittens to the vet or to another room and bringing them back. Now she seems to be howling more than usual, and started growling at my bf. I tried some clicker training, she didn't really want any treats. She licked her favorite kitten a bit more, he definitely needs to stay with her. I will spoil her extra this week. It'll be tough, between the lost kittens and getting spayed.

I can also be fairly certain that momma is, in fact, just getting chubby, and not pregnant. We've had them for over 70 days now.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the two kittens left for their forever home. I'm proud of myself for managing to not cry while they were picking them up! Though both me and my bf were just kinda binge-playing video games today, not really up for much else. I hope they will send a few updates with how they're doing. I made sure to pack a nice care package, I also added a bunch of their favorite treats.

Poor momma was calm at first, she's gotten used to us taking kittens to the vet or to another room and bringing them back. Now she seems to be howling more than usual, and started growling at my bf. I tried some clicker training, she didn't really want any treats. She licked her favorite kitten a bit more, he definitely needs to stay with her. I will spoil her extra this week. It'll be tough, between the lost kittens and getting spayed.

I can also be fairly certain that momma is, in fact, just getting chubby, and not pregnant. We've had them for over 70 days now.
That is great that the 2 little ones went to their furrever home. Hopefully momma will be back to her normal self in a few days. If you have time try to play with her a little more and just give her attention to try to keep her busy. It is really good that her "favorite" kitten is still there that should help make the grieving process a little easier. When is her spay?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My heart goes out to you! It’s SO hard to let them go. Do check in with the new owners in a few days if you’ve heard nothing. It will help to hear good news, but they need a few days to acclimate also. I hope mama calms down after her spay and recovery time. Hang in there!

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is great that the 2 little ones went to their furrever home. Hopefully momma will be back to her normal self in a few days. If you have time try to play with her a little more and just give her attention to try to keep her busy. It is really good that her "favorite" kitten is still there that should help make the grieving process a little easier. When is her spay?
Spay is Wednesday, in 2 days.

I'm hoping I can lure her in the carrier with a wee bit of food, after she's been starving all night.
If not, I'll try what worked with my semi-feral gals, to get them in an empty hallway with only the carrier to hide in, try to use the blanket method to trap them, and fail miserably until they eventually run in the carrier on their own.
I also have bite-proof gloves and stuff, though I'm hoping to make it as minimally traumatic as possible.

My heart goes out to you! It’s SO hard to let them go. Do check in with the new owners in a few days if you’ve heard nothing. It will help to hear good news, but they need a few days to acclimate also. I hope mama calms down after her spay and recovery time. Hang in there!
It's such a weird mix of feelings, I feel so happy that I did it, and it's a good home, yet so sad that I won't get to pet them and play with them. And I may never find out who won the "weight race"... the lil runt is getting so big, and my foster fail boy was neck and neck with the 2 adopted ones, competing at who's the biggest, while my gal with benign heart murmur is lagging behind a bit, but she won the "fluffiest" race, so far. I tear up at stupid stuff like counting the kittens before turning on the dishwasher to make sure none snuck inside, and now I only need to count to 3 instead of 5... yet I really look forward to momma and black kitten being gone, so I can blend the 4 cats I'm keeping, and get more fosters!

I expect it's a bit overwhelming for them on the first day, and the only update they might have for me is "they're hiding under the couch" lol. I hope they do eat something, when I first got my resident gals they refused to eat for almost 2 days, I was ready to take her to the vet the next morning but thankfully I saw her eat on the security camera. I expect it will be similar with the kittens.

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I still feel sad that you are not keeping mama cat, but I understand. And you’ve done a great job with her.
One thing I try to keep in mind is that I've read several books on cat behavior, and I love watching videos from cat behaviorists. As of late, I've been binge watching hours worth of webinars on how to socialize scared shelter cats, given by behaviorists to shelter volunteers and foster homes. And my SO grew up with cats, and he spends a lot of time just interacting with them. He doesn't always know what to do with a growly cat, but pretty much every other cat loves him.

So, if I get a cat that doesn't "choose" me or him as their person, something would be really wrong. I fully expect all of them will. My goal is to get hundreds of cats to a point where they are willing and able to form a deep bond with a person who is slightly less obsessive than me.

I will keep her until I find a perfect home for her, that has the time and willingness to continue what I started with her, where she can be with her favorite kitten. And hopefully I'll be able to teach her not to pee the bed, and maybe even to be willing to receive pets. I will miss her terribly, just like I miss the two kittens. But it will feel good, knowing that she is somewhere very nice, and that I can get another batch in that is otherwise doomed to either euthanasia, or being stuck in a no-kill shelter for years.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spay is Wednesday, in 2 days.

I'm hoping I can lure her in the carrier with a wee bit of food, after she's been starving all night.
If not, I'll try what worked with my semi-feral gals, to get them in an empty hallway with only the carrier to hide in, try to use the blanket method to trap them, and fail miserably until they eventually run in the carrier on their own.
I also have bite-proof gloves and stuff, though I'm hoping to make it as minimally traumatic as possible.
What I do Is leave the carrier out for her to explore all the time. She still won't go in on her own though. So I take the carrier into the bathroom then I get Gabby, go in the bathroom and close the door and let her down.
Then I will kind of heard her backwards (she is facing me and I have my hand in front of her face/chest area) she will walk backwards right into the carrier.

I do this with the back of the carrier against the door and the side of the carrier is against the wall. So it is in a corner this helps a little as well.

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What I do Is leave the carrier out for her to explore all the time. She still won't go in on her own though. So I take the carrier into the bathroom then I get Gabby, go in the bathroom and close the door and let her down.
Then I will kind of heard her backwards (she is facing me and I have my hand in front of her face/chest area) she will walk backwards right into the carrier.

I do this with the back of the carrier against the door and the side of the carrier is against the wall. So it is in a corner this helps a little as well.
Clever, herding her backwards into it! Sounds less stressful than my idea, I'll try it!

If you can pick up the kitty, what worked with my dude was to put the carrier with the opening on the edge of a table or something, then just pick him up and place him at the entrance. That way he has nowhere else to really go but inside. It was very fast and easy.

With the kittens, the carriers have been their favorite snooze spot for a while now. When I took one to the vet for vaccines recently, she was already sleeping in the carrier, I just closed the door and went lol
Momma has been very reluctant to go in one, even though the carriers are the only real hidey holes they have in the kitchen. She went in and peed on the blankets a couple times 😩 but I changed the blanket types and moved the carriers farther away from the litter box, and no issues since.
And... today even momma was casually chilling in a carrier, so hopefully this won't be too stressful.

Attachments

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clever, herding her backwards into it! Sounds less stressful than my idea, I'll try it!

If you can pick up the kitty, what worked with my dude was to put the carrier with the opening on the edge of a table or something, then just pick him up and place him at the entrance. That way he has nowhere else to really go but inside. It was very fast and easy.

With the kittens, the carriers have been their favorite snooze spot for a while now. When I took one to the vet for vaccines recently, she was already sleeping in the carrier, I just closed the door and went lol
Momma has been very reluctant to go in one, even though the carriers are the only real hidey holes they have in the kitchen. She went in and peed on the blankets a couple times 😩 but I changed the blanket types and moved the carriers farther away from the litter box, and no issues since.
And... today even momma was casually chilling in a carrier, so hopefully this won't be too stressful.
Gabby wont sleep in her carrier but she will play in it like she will run in there turn around and wait to chase her wormey or little mice toys.. she will only go in there willingly on her terms. It isn't often but it is always out for her.
Her thing I truly believe is just leaving the house she doesn't even like going outside it stresses her out too bad. She is harness and leash trained but to go outside and if we get too far away from the house like 20 feet or so she starts crying and wanting to come back inside. When we go to the vet she cries the whole drive there and sheds like crazy while being in the back corner of the carrier. While at the vet she still sheds like crazy but doesn't fight or anything but slinks down scared (she is afraid of strangers) When it is time to leave the vet she will willingly walk in the carrier. And as soon as we r in the car to go home she is so calm. Like she knows she is coming back home so she can relax or something. It's odd..

I think she just is afraid to leave the house she has been through a lot before we got her. The female was her owner the guy abused her and the female took her and surrendered her at the shelter so I think she is afraid of abandonment from the people she trusts maybe.. I'm not sure.

All I truly know is she is terrified the whole time until we get back in the car to come home. It is seriously like she understands we are not leaving her and we are bringing her home. I don't know exactly what goes through her little mind but I try my hardest to comfort her the whole time. I even sit in the back seat with her.

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gabby wont sleep in her carrier but she will play in it like she will run in there turn around and wait to chase her wormey or little mice toys.. she will only go in there willingly on her terms. It isn't often but it is always out for her.
Her thing I truly believe is just leaving the house she doesn't even like going outside it stresses her out too bad. She is harness and leash trained but to go outside and if we get too far away from the house like 20 feet or so she starts crying and wanting to come back inside. When we go to the vet she cries the whole drive there and sheds like crazy while being in the back corner of the carrier. While at the vet she still sheds like crazy but doesn't fight or anything but slinks down scared (she is afraid of strangers) When it is time to leave the vet she will willingly walk in the carrier. And as soon as we r in the car to go home she is so calm. Like she knows she is coming back home so she can relax or something. It's odd..

I think she just is afraid to leave the house she has been through a lot before we got her. The female was her owner the guy abused her and the female took her and surrendered her at the shelter so I think she is afraid of abandonment from the people she trusts maybe.. I'm not sure.

All I truly know is she is terrified the whole time until we get back in the car to come home. It is seriously like she understands we are not leaving her and we are bringing her home. I don't know exactly what goes through her little mind but I try my hardest to comfort her the whole time. I even sit in the back seat with her.
All I can tell you is that with my old dude, the first few times he'd mew like crazy both on the way to the vet, and back home. He just hated restraint, and was upset about being in the carrier (and hated my old vet). But after a while, he kinda learned that first time he gets put in the carrier, bad stuff is about to happen. Second time he goes in the carrier, he just comes home and gets treats, all is well. So he stopped meowing on the way home. So they definitely learn that they're coming back home.
He also hated going outdoors, for most of his life, he would always bolt under the couch whenever the front door opened for any reason. But after he got more frequent vet visits in his older days, he actually started to ask to go outside, so I got him a harness, he took to it instantly, and spent his last month asking to go outside 4x a day, absolutely loved it every time!
We don't know his background, we found him on the street and couldn't find his owner, no microchip etc. But it seems quite typical cat behavior.
Except with my current kittens. They are super brave and love getting pets at the vet, no issues getting them in the carrier, and I just got them a harness, I might start taking them outdoors sometimes. I'm thinking of making it a thing with future fosters, to get them braver so they don't hide when people come to see them.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I can tell you is that with my old dude, the first few times he'd mew like crazy both on the way to the vet, and back home. He just hated restraint, and was upset about being in the carrier (and hated my old vet). But after a while, he kinda learned that first time he gets put in the carrier, bad stuff is about to happen. Second time he goes in the carrier, he just comes home and gets treats, all is well. So he stopped meowing on the way home. So they definitely learn that they're coming back home.
He also hated going outdoors, for most of his life, he would always bolt under the couch whenever the front door opened for any reason. But after he got more frequent vet visits in his older days, he actually started to ask to go outside, so I got him a harness, he took to it instantly, and spent his last month asking to go outside 4x a day, absolutely loved it every time!
We don't know his background, we found him on the street and couldn't find his owner, no microchip etc. But it seems quite typical cat behavior.
Except with my current kittens. They are super brave and love getting pets at the vet, no issues getting them in the carrier, and I just got them a harness, I might start taking them outdoors sometimes. I'm thinking of making it a thing with future fosters, to get them braver so they don't hide when people come to see them.

Awww thats great that the kittens are so brave. They are like "I got this"
That would be awesome to get fosters kinda used to the carrier and maybe even taking them for short rides so they get used to that as well.. you are awesome willing to take extra steps just to make it easier on them later.. I wish everyone thought like that. I took my inlaws kittens in the carrier on trips in the car and they grew up loving it and didn't mind going to the vets. I just didnt have that luxury with Gabby. It stresses her so bad that if I run my hand down her back fur goes everywhere she sheds like crazy for a few hours. Whereas normally she doesn't really shed much even when I brush her I only ever get a tiny little floof (that I have to take and throw it away immediately or she tries to eat it lol)

I know in the last 2 months Gabby has had to go to the vet 6 times and each time it was the same thing
The very first time she cried on the way home but since then every time we get back in the car to come home she calms right down just lays down and relaxes. She is always so stressed leaving the house though which breaks my heart.

Omgoodness... One day it was really hot and my fingers were inside the front door in between the little squares and I was looking away because she was just laying there calm on the way home. I said it was getting pretty hot in the back so he turned the ac on full blast and she hissed I jumped and pulled my hand out so quick. I had never heard her hiss before and it scared me lol I immediately put my hand back in and talked to her and she was fine. I think the sudden sound change might have reminded her of a cat hissing??? I have no clue. But she calmed right down once she realized everything was kosher

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Momma got spayed! 🥳

The rescue also payed for some preliminary bloodwork. She is perfectly healthy. Though she is getting kinda chubby, we gotta stop giving her kitten food.

I made a donation to the shelter, to cover some of the costs. They really are doing a lot with very limited resources.

I almost managed to get her in the carrier the easy way. She went in there to eat a treat, had just one leg out. I went to close the door, but I was too slow, she bolted out and started hissing at me. So we used our empty hallway method, basically luring her in the carrier with a blanket in a hallway with no other hiding spots. She growled a lot, but we made it.

She still had a bandage on her arm when she got home. I was bracing for some bites or scratches, but she was such a good momma, let me take it right off. I gave her my "I'm sorry" tuna soup snack, and she eagerly wolfed it down.

The plan is to keep the kittens separated for a day or two, so they don't lick the wound, and then let them be together again once it has more of a chance to heal. We ended up going no cone, no nothing.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Momma got spayed! 🥳

The rescue also payed for some preliminary bloodwork. She is perfectly healthy. Though she is getting kinda chubby, we gotta stop giving her kitten food.

I made a donation to the shelter, to cover some of the costs. They really are doing a lot with very limited resources.

I almost managed to get her in the carrier the easy way. She went in there to eat a treat, had just one leg out. I went to close the door, but I was too slow, she bolted out and started hissing at me. So we used our empty hallway method, basically luring her in the carrier with a blanket in a hallway with no other hiding spots. She growled a lot, but we made it.

She still had a bandage on her arm when she got home. I was bracing for some bites or scratches, but she was such a good momma, let me take it right off. I gave her my "I'm sorry" tuna soup snack, and she eagerly wolfed it down.

The plan is to keep the kittens separated for a day or two, so they don't lick the wound, and then let them be together again once it has more of a chance to heal. We ended up going no cone, no nothing.
Just keep a close eye on her my cat with a cone on got to her incision site and it separated some. She was folding herself in half like a lawnchair to get to it. Some cats do fine with no cone some don't. It is easier when they do fine without a cone because no cat likes the cone lol

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to figure out if I'm being overly paranoid or I should give the vet a call. Bf thinks this is normal, says it was the exact same with our girls, but we're both sleep deprived from keeping the kittens in the bedroom last night, so I don't trust us 😅

Momma isn't eating a whole lot this morning. We were a bit late with her painkillers, we only gave them at 12. She was willing to eat them in a liquid treat, no probs. I stupidly ran out of her favorite food, though I gave her several other kinds. She licks the sauce/gravy, but not the chunks. No interest at all in pate foods. She's also not particularly eager about treats, but she hasn't been very eager for them for a few days now, maybe she's bored of them. It doesn't look like she ate a whole lot of the kibble either, though when I first gave them yesterday, she wolfed down a fair bit of them.

I can't get a good look at the incision, but I brought my laptop to work in the kitchen with her, hopefully she will relax a bit more and sits in a way that gives me a better view. But there are no blood splotches anywhere, so probably not ripped. I placed the phone so I can just activate photo taking from my watch. So far, she's happily snoozing.

She sometimes looks like she's trembling/twitching a little bit? After giving her the painkillers, it is more rare and barely noticeable, so I think she is in a bit of pain, but not horrible. I remember seeing something similar with my emo cat after she had her c-section.

Attachments

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I gave in and called before they closed.

Sounds like I may have messed up by giving her too much to eat last night. They did say "small meal" in the discharge instructions, and I stupidly gave her the usual amount. Glad I at least took away her kibble when she started really wolfing it down...
Anyway, plan is probiotics for tonight, expect some diarrhea later, call again tomorrow if she doesn't get better.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds to me like the usual acute pain from major surgery, effects of anesthesia wearing off, and reaction to pain meds. This acute stage lasts about 3 days, then tapers off.

As long as the wound is intact, not oozing pus or otherwise infected, and mom is eating and drinking and not in distress, she should be okay soon.

It’s the same for a human who experiences major surgery — the acute stage followed by 4-6 weeks of recovery back to normal.

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds to me like the usual acute pain from major surgery, effects of anesthesia wearing off, and reaction to pain meds. This acute stage lasts about 3 days, then tapers off.

As long as the wound is intact, not oozing pus or otherwise infected, and mom is eating and drinking and not in distress, she should be okay soon.

It’s the same for a human who experiences major surgery — the acute stage followed by 4-6 weeks of recovery back to normal.
What worried me is that she isn't eating, at least nothing solid, only liquid treats and gravy/sauce. But hopefully she'll start again tonight.
But she doesn't seem to be in distress. Normal breathing, slow blinking at me and staring terrified at my bf, all quite normal.
Still not letting me see the wound, but no signs of leaking.

I didn't realize recovery was 4-6 weeks, that makes sense timeline wise though, based on what I saw in my girls

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Who feels like eating the first 2-3 days after surgery and while in pain? Opioids dull the pain but also dull the appetite. Liquid treats and gravy count as eating at this stage — like giving a sick kid popsicles for hydration when they won’t eat. Now, if she isn’t beginning to eat her normal food (even smallish quantities) after the third day, she may need a vet checkup.