Foster Kitten Chatter

pegleg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aww you're doing brilliantly.

These three I started caring for at 6 weeks so there was no issues with bottle feeding. They're coming up to 8 weeks old now and starting to have clearer personalities.

Little kittens are so adorable but there's so much poo.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Little kittens are so adorable but there's so much poo.
Gorgeous, gorgeous kitties! Looks like you've got some classic tabbies in there. They almost remind me of Bengal mixes with that color and pattern.

And yes, kitten poo stinks!!!!
Love the names. I got to name most of my foster kitties as well. I even changed Lyla's name from Lazy Bones. However, I'm starting to see why they called her that. She really doesn't do much besides sit with her kitties or follow them when they are out to play.   : )

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like Lyla has medical issues that need a vet check. Can she be seen?

Lyla may suffer being separated from her kittens at 8 weeks. 10-12 weeks is standard.

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I plan on bringing Lyla in this next Wednesday, when the vet is in. Not only does she need to be seen, but the kittens will be ready to be dewormed again and possibly get their first vaccinations. I'm glad to see Lyla more active (and talkative for sure!) so hopefully she just needs to build some muscle tone. She stretches a lot when she walks, always has since we first got her. We thought it was just because she was stiff, but she was growling when I was petting that area of her back and she never growls. I'll be sure to mention that to the vet when she goes in to seem her.

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It was kitten weighing day today. They have all been growing well.  : )

Narcissa (Sissy), Bellatrix (Bella or Trix), and Genny (Gen) are the "Harry Potter" sisters and are estimated to be about 8 weeks old. They had an average of 1.500 lbs. Sis was the smallest but then she's always been, so its nothing new for her. She was around 1.400.

Nocturne (Nox), Twilight (Ty) and Oz (Ozzie) are around 6.3 weeks of age and all averaged around 1.120 lbs in weight. Ty was the smallest, but I'm guessing she is a female. However, she has also always been the runt of the litter and the most prone to health issues, so I am keeping a close eye on her. Ozzie is the biggest, but Nocturne isn't far behind at 1.142 lbs. He is still having issues with his balance, coordination and back-legs but is getting the hang of certain things. He is as prone to getting lost or scared as before and LOVES to snuggle and play for hours a day.

Ty is also very playful. She weighed 1.030 lbs and is starting to have issues with runny eyes. However, she gets to go in for a check-up this Wednesday so hopefully it will be clearing up by then and she can continue to grow strong and healthy.

Ozzie is darkening in color to be similar to Nox, but he is still a very different shape. He has a slim body like his mothers and walks instead of toddles, as Nox does. his head is much smaller, as are his eyes, and his ears curve down at the very tips. He does, however, enjoy snuggles and play time too, he is just more cautious and easily startled.

Lyla is also doing well. She is still slim but is getting muscle tone, eating well, and has no issues with diarrhea. She is starting to discipline her kittens when they are bothering her too much while she is napping, which is nice because then I don't have to teach them to be gentle. They are actually pretty good about not using their claws or biting hard during play, and they just adore having their bellies tickled.   : )

I'll try to post pictures soon!

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some update pictures::::

Oz playing in the scale while I get his weight.  : )

Twilight (I believe) watching Oz. Ty (as I call her) is the lightest of the kittens in color.

Lyla checking out the scale.

Oz practicing his balancing.

The trio together. The largest looking kitten is Nocturne (Nox) and the smallest is Ty.

Bellatrix eating some food.

Narcissa (Sissy) enjoying the scale too. She was quite content to sit in it.

Sissy and Bella together.

Sis again, looking so cute!

Bella showing off her "batman" mask face pattern.

The best picture I could get of Genny. She doesn't like to sit still, this one.  : )

Bella's dark patches are lighter on her body then on her head or tail, which makes a pretty tri-color effect.

Nocturne just being plain adorable!

Nox cuddling up for a nap while I watch a video on my lap-top.

Twilight and Oz exploring the world together.

Nox inviting Oz to play (this is before Oz darkened to be the same color as him).

Twilight.

Narcissa chilling on a pile of clothes.

pegleg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aww! I love black kitties. They're gorgeous.

I've got some great news. The people who fostered the kitten's mum want to adopt some of the kittens. They really want all three but that isn't really practical, so they're going to have two and a friend of their's is looking to have the third.

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aww! I love black kitties. They're gorgeous.

I've got some great news. The people who fostered the kitten's mum want to adopt some of the kittens. They really want all three but that isn't really practical, so they're going to have two and a friend of their's is looking to have the third.
Awesome!  : )

Ozzie is darkening into a gorgeous, shining black just like his mother, Lyla. We'll see what happens to his sister, Twilight. She's still light colored.

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The Woes of Foster Kitties::::

Waking up at 3 in the morning only to have them want you to make fresh milk because the old stuff wasn't mixed well enough.

Meowing whenever you leave so you constantly feel guilty (okay, this is sort of cute... REALLY CUTE)

When you spill have the litter trying to change the litter box and they decide they like the bag of litter better anyways

When you get a whole pack of canned food and they eat all of it in two days

When you put down a freshly cleaned blanket and they consider it a freshly cleaned litter box

When they step in their own mess and track it all over your bed and you

When a bottle baby tries to climb bare legs with sharp claws over, and over, and over, and over again (scars for sure)

When you drip wet food gravy on their head because they wouldn't wait for you to dish it out for them and just dove in

When you handle them daily but at the vets they spook and act like little, frightened, terribly cared for monsters

When they grow exponentially for 7 weeks and then seem to stay just under 2 lbs for the next 3 weeks

When they just can't shake a cold and you have to try to get ointment in their eyes at least 4 times a day

When you pick up a litter box and realize they pooped down the outside of it (yep, all over your hand)

When they play with your charger cord no matter what but can't seem to enjoy the toys you bought them

When they starve themselves because they prefer a plate over a bowl

When the bottle just won't come clean and it smells something horrible and chunks of rotten milk are coming from it while you clean it

When your hands smell like cat food all the time and your room smells like a litter box without the litter

When you trim a cat's claws and they feel sharper then before

When they play with your incubator and turn it up to nearly cook the eggs inside without your knowing

When they sneak into the closet and you can't find where they are and are panicking, thinking they are surely dead and they are just fine

When you are typing a list of woes and they keep trying to type, chew on your lap-top and chase your fingers at the same time

When there is literally pile after pile of throw-up all over your carpet and hard-wood floors, always the hardest spots to clean, and you can't walk without stepping in some of it

When they diarrhea all over the floor and your blankets and book-bags, and it smells something terrible

When you dump their litter into a trash-bag and the bag tears

When you just changed and they get something disgusting on your new clothes and make you have to change again

So why do we do it? Um... THEY ARE SO CUTE! I've got two kitties cuddling on my lap while I type this, along with the throw-up and diarrhea (yes, it is covering my floor right now, I can't clean it up while the kitties are in here so I have to move them into another room first) and the fact they just ate the last of their cat-food and still look too thin. I mean, they are totally worth it, they are so sweet, but I can't help but admit it will be nice to know they will not have to stay here forever. I love them, but I can't clean diarrhea off my floors and dressers every day for the rest of my life, so... yeah, I just hope they find good owners that don't mind the occasional mess.   : )

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Things are going well with our foster kitties. Lyla's kittens are 10 weeks old and almost 2 lbs, Ginny, Narcissa, and Bellatrix were just spayed and all of my original babies (including Fred) got adopted except for Trouble and Tesla (she was adopted but allergies prevented her from being able to stay, despite them loving her and doing their best to work around it).

Twilight and Nocturne playing.

Oziana's ears turn down at the tips. So cute.  : )

Sissy with Genny. Bella was on meds for a cold but is over it now.

Lyla letting her big-kids nurse.

The trio playing together.

Chilling with Mom.

Trouble playing with a shoe at the shelter. Black cats have a lot of trouble finding homes, so I try to cuddle him and play with him when I can.

Nocturne being sweet.

Tesla is being treated for an ear-infection but is otherwise healthy.

She still has the white tip to her tail!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Adorable pictures! [emoji]128571[/emoji]

It's a shame black cats have difficulty finding homes. I have a black cat who is very sleek and handsome, and incredibly sweet. I find that most black cats have gentle, sweet personalities, and they look like little bears when they are tiny!

I also fail to understand the superstitions people adhere to in modern society.

Are Trouble and Tesla back with you now?

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Actually, Trouble just got adopted today!!! I'm so happy! They already have a few cats and they adopted Shrimpi (long-term resident at the shelter) and my boy.

I find that black cats are often sweet also, not prone to aggression like torties. Though honestly, I love torties too.