Advisor
Purraise
So glad Trouble got his forever home today! [emoji]128077[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Twilight and Oziana have reached the 2 lb mark but because it took them 11 weeks to do so I'm going to keep them for a week or so more to make sure they don't have any under-lying issues. I'm fine with that, though my room does smell pretty bad.   : )

Lyla is at the shelter on medication because she couldn't shake her cold and was loosing weight and vomiting. She may remain there once she gets better and go up for adoption. I feel bad because she talks to me every time I come, asking to go home to her kittens (she is very attached to them), however, I think it would just be more stressful if I brought her home when she was better and the kittens had to be reintroduced, only to be separated again. The kittens seem to be doing fine and are all playing around me right now, even shy Oziana has warmed up enough to cuddle and purr. She talks just like her mother (and looks just like her too).

As for Nocturne, she is in fact Hydrocephalic, my sweet little special-needs kitty, and I'm going to adopt her today!! My first foster failure. I'm so proud.  

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's great that you are keeping Nocturne! [emoji]128571[/emoji]

I'm sorry to hear that Lyla has been unwell. If she's not quickly adopted, you may want to bring her home. Her kittens will likely still know her. Poor Lyla!

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As for Nocturne, she is in fact Hydrocephalic, my sweet little special-needs kitty, and I'm going to adopt her today!! My first foster failure. I'm so proud.   :rbheart:
How does hydrocephalic present in a cat? What special needs will she have?

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How does hydrocephalic present in a cat? What special needs will she have?
She has pressure on her head so she can have issues with balance and walking, running into things, falling off of objects, ect. She develops slower, head injuries are more dangerous, she could possibly have issues with seizures. Her eyes are very large, that's one of the main things I noticed about her, but the round head was also a pointer, since her Mom and sisters all have flat, long heads like a Siamese. They sleep more than usual, have trouble learning to use the litter-box, and get really excited about things like food or attention. They tend to be sweet but also can be a little spacey about things (staring at nothing, ect).

They are wonderful though! So even if it means she won't live for more than a few years, it will so be worth it to have her with me and let her know what a wonderful life she can have.

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's great that you are keeping Nocturne! [emoji]128571[/emoji]

I'm sorry to hear that Lyla has been unwell. If she's not quickly adopted, you may want to bring her home. Her kittens will likely still know her. Poor Lyla!
Thanks!  : )

Yeah, if Lyla gets better soon but doesn't weigh enough to be spayed yet then I might bring her back to fatten her up. My family has some allergy issues though and Lyla's smelly litter-box habits weren't helping. It was hard to sleep at night sometimes it smelled so bad, I would have to get up in the middle of the night and change the litter box. Hints one of the reasons I'm reluctant to bring her back. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Smelly stools is an issue that needs addressing in any cat. All poop smells, but the really rank ones need to be addressed.

Perhaps the medications she is taking will help the smelly stools. Smelly stools are usually the result of worms or parasites that need treating. Sometimes it can be something in the diet that's not agreeing. So if you bring her back, make sure she's been wormed and tested for parasites.

Also, mixing a probiotic into her wet food will often resolve issues causing smelly stools.

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Smelly stools is an issue that needs addressing in any cat. All poop smells, but the really rank ones need to be addressed.

Perhaps the medications she is taking will help the smelly stools. Smelly stools are usually the result of worms or parasites that need treating. Sometimes it can be something in the diet that's not agreeing. So if you bring her back, make sure she's been wormed and tested for parasites.

Also, mixing a probiotic into her wet food will often resolve issues causing smelly stools.
Sorry for the late response, it was really busy today. The shelter had an adoption event and I was gone since the morning.

Anyways: Lyla's been dewormed multiple times, including for tapeworms. However, she has been on EN food which is easier to digest but also is richer, with more nutrients to make it smell. The kittens stink most likely because they were on momma's milk, so hopefully that will go away now that they are weaned.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It could be the food, but it may also be a parasite. Parasites are not worms, and require different medications. Parasites can cause smelly stools.

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you mean like giardia? I think she was treated for that as well.

It could possibly be some sort of bacterial infection too. Some TLC and the watchful eye of the vet should hopefully help her get through it quickly.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She has pressure on her head so she can have issues with balance and walking, running into things, falling off of objects, ect. She develops slower, head injuries are more dangerous, she could possibly have issues with seizures. Her eyes are very large, that's one of the main things I noticed about her, but the round head was also a pointer, since her Mom and sisters all have flat, long heads like a Siamese. They sleep more than usual, have trouble learning to use the litter-box, and get really excited about things like food or attention. They tend to be sweet but also can be a little spacey about things (staring at nothing, ect).

They are wonderful though! So even if it means she won't live for more than a few years, it will so be worth it to have her with me and let her know what a wonderful life she can have. :)
Poor little pookie head. But how lucky to have a mommy like you!

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nocturne is now 3 months old and doing great. Her head is still larger than her siblings (which are spayed and at PetSmart for adoption) but she is more coordinated and loves to play. She is less shaky but still gets scared sometimes and runs into things. I love her so much! She is already learning how to ask for food, play, cuddles, ect.

Tesla was finally adopted a few days ago into her forever home! Not only that, but Spoons is spayed and up for adoption, Lyla is up for adoption (though not enjoying being at the shelter as much as the kittens do). Bellatrix, Narcissa, and Ginny have all found their forever homes. That means only three of my foster babies are to go (the two kitties and their mother). Banjo is in foster with his "real foster mommy" and doing very well, and very cute. I'll try to post some update pictures soon!!

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oziana and Twilight were adopted from Petsmart!! Yay! And so was Spoons!

Nocturne is due to be spayed soon, I hope she does well with that.

The only cat left to be adopted is Lyla, and she has an upper respiratory infection, the poor girl, so is on medical hold. I hope she feels better soon, as the stress is making her lick her own hair out.   : (

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Being ill is stressing Lyla to the point of licking her fur off? This is not good.

What is she being treated with?

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure, I think what they use for all cats with respiratory infections. She was licking her fur out when I brought her into foster as well. Its just what she does when she is confined in a place she doesn't know. We have another cat that does this when depressed or stressed.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You've had her for quite awhile. Is she confined to a cage, or allowed to explore?

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sick cats go into quarantine in the cat ISO room, so she is in a cage. I considered offering to foster again, but not only is autumn a bad allergy time for my family, but I don't want to get Nocturne sick.

I did ask for the staff members to give her extra cuddles so she wouldn't be so afraid though.   : )

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I can't help but feel that she is stressed by being confined to a cage. The sooner she can get well and go to a forever home the better.

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
With kitten season winding down, we are down fostering (probably
) for the year. Nocturne is doing wonderfully and is very sweet and playful. She is learning to run around in our large downstairs but spends the majority of her time in my room.

A few cats are still in foster at our shelter, including Moo, Peggy, Izod (a little kitten), Queenie and her sister (both kittens), Steve (a teenager), Spoons, Banjo and Mr. Cool.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So glad to hear that you've had a successful kitten season! Whatever happened to Lila?