Food scale recommendations please

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll go look. I use that one for grams; it's been a long time since I used it for ounces. It does measure in 10ths, I remember that, not in 1/8, 1/4, etc. That took me a while to get used to, having used 1/10ths of ounces. But I'm pretty sure it went out to the .01, .02, etc. That American Weigh is the one I have.

DO NOTE: it uses a 9V battery, not AA or AAA, so make sure you have some! Because the readout is backlit, it goes through the batteries more frequently than the one I currently use.

Yep, it measures to the .01, .02, etc. of an ounce. :nod:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Laurie. I canceled the one I ordered and ordered the one you linked to. They look the same to me, but what do I know. I am getting the adapter too, so It won't matter if I run out of battery. The other "pocket" model uses AAA batteries. Both the same brand. I hope I can get my money back on the EatSmart. I think it is still under warranty. I have written to the manufacturer.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amazon, after I explained the entire situation to them, has allowed me to return the original scale for a full refund. The EatSmart manufacturer offered to refund my money if I sent the scale back to them, but I would have to pay the shipping, so I went with Amazon.

In the meantime I had t get something from walmart. I bought the least expensive digital scale that went to the.05 oz that I need. It lasted 3 days. :lol3: If I reset the battery it works again, for about a day, then I have to reset the battery again. I must have some kind of jinx on scales, haha.

I guess I should have just gotten one of those little springy type things. Maybe I better, just in case, as it would be better than NOTHING, you know?

I am waiting impatiently for the WeightSmart scales. I will probably use mainly the one that I can plug in. Enough with the battery nonsense.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
otto, I used this one as my primary, originally. But we'd had it for 8 years, and used it a lot when we had a house. It seemed to die on me. Turns out all I had to do was remove the weighing plate (just pops off) and it worked just fine again. It only weighs up to 4 pounds total, but it weighs down to 1/10 of a gram. I keep it as the back-up now, and use it to measure the freeze dried liver for the kitties that won't eat fresh.

So far I LOVE LOVE LOVE this scale. So easy to read (the numbers are back lit) and the buttons righire such a light touch I don't worry I am going to break them. And it was less expensive than the EatSmart besides.

Now..if only it doesn't break. I have the adapter, though haven't used it yet.

The EatSmart went to .05. Now with weights going to .01 I can drive myself even more crazy with getting exact amounts, LOL.

I haven't used the little pocket scale (also American Weigh) I bought for back up yet, but I am definitely going to get one of those little non battery operated springy scales, the ones that are about $4 just in case. I never want to be with out any scale again, EVER. It was worse than when my computer crashed. :lol3:

morkal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are many company  that offering range of scales on Ebay with different price rates.But i think the main think must be the battery timing and accuracy even they don't have a good shape. Because these two factors are really important for me in usage of any scale.

merrytang

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As i know, the etekcity food scale is great and the price is cheap on Amazon

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see this is an old thread, but I love my Ultraship55. It's the second one I've owned. Weighs food, and because the display pulls out, I can set it on the floor and put a cat carrier on it and weight the cats too! (...and dog...and anything up to 55 pounds). Get the optional A/C adapter, otherwise it uses C batteries.

(They make one that weighs up to 35 pounds, one up to 55 pounds, and one up to 75 pounds.)

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was using this one Ozeri Pronto Digital Multifunction Kitchen and Food Scale, Elegant Black after about a year using twice a day the buttons crack.

I'm giving this one a try. I'll let everyone know how they compare. GDEALER Digital Kitchen Scale 11lb/5kg Accuracy Food Scale Multifunction Kitchen Scale with Bowl, Stainless Steel, 2.15L Liquid Volume, Alarm Timer, Temperature, Backlight LCD Display