Food scale recommendations please

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like it okay, but since I use it multiple times a day, every day, I worry about the on/off/tare button wearing out. :lol3:

I was very surprised, when I started using it, to discover that all the identical dishes and pyrex containers I use all have different weights, so the scale has to be tared with every new dish or container.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks to you both for the feedback on that!

And yeah - isn't that funny about those bowls? I have the same ones, and of 8, only 2 weigh the same amount. :lol3:

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Auntie Crazy,

How long have you been using the Ozeri? I got a scale recently, and almost got the Ozeri, but there were a lot of reviews that said it stopped worked or the batteries ran out after a month. I opted for a different scale because of that, but found that to switch between measurement systems you have to push a button on the underside of the scale. Am contemplating returning it for that reason, but still don't know about the Ozeri.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Auntie Crazy,

How long have you been using the Ozeri? I got a scale recently, and almost got the Ozeri, but there were a lot of reviews that said it stopped worked or the batteries ran out after a month. I opted for a different scale because of that, but found that to switch between measurement systems you have to push a button on the underside of the scale. Am contemplating returning it for that reason, but still don't know about the Ozeri.

I've had it for over a year now and only recently had to buy new batteries... and they cost so little, I can't remember how much I paid for them.

It's possible I got lucky and received a rare working model, but if/when I have to replace this scale, it will be with another exactly like it. It's small, light, super duper easy to change settings and keep clean (with that flat glass top, I never have to worry about accidental liquid spills); I love it!

AC

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After almost 9 months of use: I am very unhappy with this scale. The digital display has faded so that I can hardly see it. I never heard of digital displays fading like that, but this one has. I use the scale multiple times a day, I need to be able to see it! I have now ordered the one AC recommends below:

Last edited:

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have one that looks just like the one AC posted except the buttons are small switches under the front.  I got it on ebay for $16.00  They also have it on Amazon.  Tare can be set by using the right side button.  I've only been using it for 5 months....so can't speak to longevity.....so far so good.  

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Suddenly the display has become visible again, after two days of not working. Still I can't have a scale that cuts out on me like that, I use this scale many times a day. So a back up is good anyway.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course! :) I only just put new batteries in 2 weeks ago. I've had to replace the batteries every two months since I bought the thing. There is no mistaking when the batteries are dead, it just dies and does not turn on. It is back to the display not showing. it is ON, I can tell it is on, if I tip it upright or hang over it I can see the display. But it does not work when it is flat on the counter like it is supposed to work.

Last edited:

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Of course!
I only just put new batteries in 2 weeks ago. I've had to replace the batteries every two months since I bought the thing. There is no mistaking when the batteries are dead, it just dies and does not turn on. It is back to the display not showing. it is ON, I can tell it is on, if I tip it upright or hang over it I can see the display. But it does not work when it is flat on the counter like it is supposed to work.
It kind of sounds like you might have a loose connection from your description of how it is acting....

Last edited:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having to replace the batteries every two months is reason enough to replace it. I've had my scale for years and have replaced the batteries once. For the last year I've used it multiple times a day. Prior to that less often though.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not only that, I have to doubt the accuracy of it now. Mazy and Jennie are showing steady weight gain on their weekly weigh ins, IN SPITE of me cutting back on their food, because they were suddenly gaining weight. Queen Eva has not shown any weight gain, but she also is eating less because now that she is almost three I've stopped pushing food at her because I want to see how she does at self regulation.

OH and something else. Normally Rad Cat's tubs are over weight. Suddenly when I portion them out I am getting less, but the tubs are still full to the top. Come to think of it, the chicken breasts I just portioned out and froze came up at least 9 ounces short of the weight marked on the package too.

Something is really wonky. I've had enough of that stupid scale. Hope the new one gets here quickly.

Last edited:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
EatSmart has contacted me to inform me that the scale is under warranty. I don't know yet what they can do for me, but I thought I would mention it, it's not often one gets such good customer service! I'll post an update when everything is worked out. I'll still keep the other scale too, the one I just ordered, because having your food scale blank out on you is like..having your computer go dead. It's something I rely so heavily on, multiple times a day, a back up is just a good idea!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are going to replace the scale! :banana1:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am returning this scale:

I hate it. It is wildly inconsistent.

Since EatSmart sent me a replacement, I will keep the original EatSmart for back up and stick with the replacement scale.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The replacement they sent lasted an even shorter time than the original. I've been meaning to order something else as a back up but hadn't gotten to it yet, because I had faith they were telling the truth that the replacement scale wouldn't break.

Oh what a fool am I. Now I am stuck on a Sunday afternoon with a half thawed cornish hen and no scale.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:hugs:

Do you already have some divvied up? For now, maybe just eyeball the portions, compared to existing portions?

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
otto, I used this one as my primary, originally. But we'd had it for 8 years, and used it a lot when we had a house. It seemed to die on me. Turns out all I had to do was remove the weighing plate (just pops off) and it worked just fine again. It only weighs up to 4 pounds total, but it weighs down to 1/10 of a gram. I keep it as the back-up now, and use it to measure the freeze dried liver for the kitties that won't eat fresh.

My every day scale, that I ordered when I thought the American Weigh scale was broken is this one:
The one I have is white. It's been chugging along being used for 8 meals, 3x a day plus all the portioning for over a year....

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
otto, I used this one as my primary, originally. But we'd had it for 8 years, and used it a lot when we had a house. It seemed to die on me. Turns out all I had to do was remove the weighing plate (just pops off) and it worked just fine again. It only weighs up to 4 pounds total, but it weighs down to 1/10 of a gram. I keep it as the back-up now, and use it to measure the freeze dried liver for the kitties that won't eat fresh.

My every day scale, that I ordered when I thought the American Weigh scale was broken is this one:
The one I have is white. It's been chugging along being used for 8 meals, 3x a day plus all the portioning for over a year....
I just ordered this one

which I though was the same as yours, but your link brings me to something a bit different? Ugh so confused. I ordered the adaptor too.

I also ordered this one for back up

I need at least .05 ounce increments. Do these have that? I'm so messed up I can't tell any more.

I had barely started on the hen. It's back in the freezer. but I use the scale every time I feed the cats for every portion. And as each dish weighs different I hit that tare button a lot.

Last edited: