Food scale recommendations please

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
But it's not storing it that's the problem, it's using it. :lol3: It's 9" long. The current one is 7 1/2", and that 1.5" makes a difference with our counter space. :(
:rofl: Well, the nerve of her. She left ONE piece of meat on her plate and is about to chow down on someone elses... MAN I LOVE that girl :rub: :heart3:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been searching for appetizer plates that might work. So far, I've found these and these
I have used small plates (my wedding china plates :lol2:) similar and the edges are really flat and only slightly turned up. They are appetizer plates. The only issue I have had with those as opposed to the bowls is that the meat can get pushed off the plate easily. Although, that is mostly with ground. When I serve them chicken, they eat each piece separately. The ground gets mushed to the sides, sometimes, and falls off. So for ground, I use oblong, ceramic bowls. I LOVE those small corelle bowls. We have those for ourselves and I use them for my ice cream. :lol3:

Last edited:

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a little sensitive to how... sensitive feline whiskers are (I react very quickly to touch and it doesn't take but a second or two for a repetitive stroke to go from cute to "remove your hand or die"!), so I picked up a bunch of 8 inch flat glass salad plates. They're large enough to keep most foods on the plate, and all of my kitties eat in personalized food areas (four in crates, two on their own table), so I don't worry about the little that spills over.

AC

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, that's why I wanted the flat plates. As small and shallow as these bowls are, they still pull their whiskers back to eat. The problem - again - as you can see from the picture :lol3: is that any dish needs to be basically no bigger than the diameter of these bowls, which is 5 1/4". :rolleyes: Obviously, being that small, whatever dish does need some kind of lip.

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank goodness for this post! Just as I am beginning raw and definitely looking more into homemade, my scale started to go on the fritz.
Looks like it's time for a new scale!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My scale came today. But I forgot to bring it in, it's still in the car. However, since I am currently using the 8 oz chubs, all I needed to do (after thawing slightly) was cut the whole thing into eight pieces. Since this food is being fed as a supplement, it doesn't matter if the servings aren't exact.

Tonight served the Rad Cat chicken. My gosh, what beautiful food. I'll be starting a thread about it tomorrow. I'm too tired tonight!

However to give you a hint of how things went, here's a picture of Mazy after being served her regular food with a tiny blob of raw placed on one side of the dish. That is her canned food she is trying to pick out. :lol3: Figures, the one I really really REALLY want to eat it, is the resistant one. :lol3:

Last edited:

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, that's why I wanted the flat plates. As small and shallow as these bowls are, they still pull their whiskers back to eat. The problem - again - as you can see from the picture
is that any dish needs to be basically no bigger than the diameter of these bowls, which is 5 1/4".
Obviously, being that small, whatever dish does need some kind of lip.
Oh, I know it. 
  We all have to work with the resources we have available.

- - - - - - - -

Otto, I look forward to reading your new thread! 

AC

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank goodness for this post! Just as I am beginning raw and definitely looking more into homemade, my scale started to go on the fritz. :wife: Looks like it's time for a new scale!
So which one did you get?
Haven't ordered one yet. It seems to be working again, at least for now, but I think I might order that black one, so I have it if my current one totally goes out.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tonight served the Rad Cat chicken. My gosh, what beautiful food. I'll be starting a thread about it tomorrow. I'm too tired tonight!
However to give you a hint of how things went, here's a picture of Mazy after being served her regular food with a tiny blob of raw placed on one side of the dish. That is her canned food she is trying to pick out. :lol3: Figures, the one I really really REALLY want to eat it, is the resistant one. :lol3:
Isn't Rad Cat a "beautiful" raw meat.... :rofl: IF you can call raw meat beautiful - that is the one to call it that. :lol3:

AND with your Mazy - well - welcome to the raw world of that "ONE" - the ONE who really needs to be eating the raw - resists!!!! :winkblue:

Last edited:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used my scale today! :banana1:

When I drove up to visit my sister (100 miles one way) I stopped at the only store within 200 miles of me that carries Rad Cat. Unfortunately all they had were a few 16 oz tubs of lamb. I bought two, and broke the first one into 2 ounce packages tonight. 2 ounces in little cheap zip baggies and they are all sealed in one freezer baggie.

One package is only 1.5 oz because Queen Eva licked the edge of the frozen chunk so I cut a wedge off and split it between her and Jennie. Mazy does not like the lamb, even if it's been fortifloranated. And of course she is the one I want to eat it.

She likes the chicken and the turkey though.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:clap: Well I'm really glad you got some to try! And YAY on the scale! :D

I suspect that with time she'll come to like it. :nod: If not - at least she's got the chicken and turkey. :lol3: They're still new to raw, after all!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Laurie. I hope Mazy does start liking the lamb. I know that canned cat food chicken and raw chicken are very different, but even so, I would like to vary her proteins, not just the source of the protein.

I really like the little scale. It's so small it fits right into a little drawer I have, that has always been too small to be useful in any other way! Isn't that funny?

wolcar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are you using the little snack zip locks there? That's a good idea. Instead of the sandwhich size ones. 

I just got my scale in the mail about a week ago and I love using it. I feel like things are much more accurate; however, I still have to get organized.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you using the little snack zip locks there? That's a good idea. Instead of the sandwhich size ones. 

I just got my scale in the mail about a week ago and I love using it. I feel like things are much more accurate; however, I still have to get organized.
No, they are the cheap brand of sandwich zips. The snack size are more expensive. After putting the two ounces along the bottom of the bag I roll it up tight, removing as much air as possible before sealing closed. Then I put them all in one Hefty freezer bag.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oooooo love the scale!!! :clap::clap::clap: My Pipsqueak also refuses the RC Lamb - and any topper's. A bit like Mazy. :D He never liked topper's even Fortiflora. He only eats chicken and turkey. That's it. I rotate brands and that is it with him. IF I try to offer him anything else - he flat our refuses. The only other meat he would ever touch was Fegnion Rabbit. OMG though, WAY too expensive to buy and keep in rotation. Carolina has sent me some month's ago in her Rad Cat care package. :lol3: Pipsqueak loved the Fegnion Rabbit. Anyway - I rotate between Nature's Menu, Nature's Variety and Rad Cat Chicken and Turkey. Works very well for him so far. ;)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gail, a few months into it, how do you like the scale? Ours is getting really finicky. I'm worried that the one I found that looks like yours is cheaper for a reason, you know? I'd like a scale that works without constantly having to fiddle with it. :lol3: But the scale you ordered is just the right size. :cross:

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Otto, I've had that same scale for 2 years now and I love it! I use it almost daily. I recommend keeping it in a large ziploc bag to keep it from getting dirty, though. Mine's lasted through spills and accidents that way, and still looks brand new. Every so often I change the bag, when it starts to look worn or grungy.