Food Allergies - how fast should I do the switch IF…

tailzzz24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
…my cat is looking sickly every time he eats his current food?

I really don't 'think' this is just food allergies - I think it's an infection - but since that's what my vet has been pushing, I decided to order some canned cat food just in case - rabbit - no poultry, beef, or fish/fish oils. I'm just wondering though if I need to go slow? If he is allergic to his current food and is becoming sickly every time he eats it, shouldn't I just give him the new rabbit stuff when it arrives right away? Then again, I don't really think this is related to food allergies, so maybe that would just make things worse?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it's canned food you don't have to do a slow switch.  Dry food has to be slowly switched by mixing increasing amounts of the new with the old.  For a food trial you will need to feed just the rabbit for several weeks, the usual recommendation is 6 weeks.  Not treats or table food of any kind other than rabbit.

b-roc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat developed food allergies (chicken, turkey and quail) this past January and it took us until almost June to get her settled on a diet that she would eat (ended up with frozen raw food).

We tried to go reasonably slow but I must have tried 20 different types of canned food (she's never eaten dry) and umpteen protein sources.  I would buy 2 cans and return one because she just wouldn't eat it and this went on and on so she was switched quite a bit from brands, flavors and protein sources.  So while it may not be recommended I can tell you if your cat is allergic to a number of protein sources like mine is, its very difficult to find foods without those proteins that she / he will eat so switching becomes quite frequent until you find something they can tolerate and actually like.

It doesn't matter what flavor of frozen raw we feed, she eats it all with no bowel distress and it comes in lamb, duck, venison, rabbit, beef, etc. which makes staying with one brand but cycling protein sources a lot easier.  Good luck.

spitzerag

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It could be food allergies, or it could be something else. I have a cat who I was told MIGHT have food allergies, but I'm coming to believe that her vomiting is stress related. She'll be fine for months, and then it will happen all of a sudden, especially when I'm out of town for more than a few days. She'll throw up all of her food, and the refuse to eat anything. I'll finally break down and buy her a NEW brand of sensitive stomach food, and she'll slowly start eating it. If you have a feeling about your cat, let the vet know, and feel free to get a second opinion!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tailzzz24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everybody!

I feed only canned food to my cats because when I was feeding dry, one was getting fatter and fatter (the sicker cat), and the other one was getting skinnier and skinnier. So appetite is no problem here - he'll eat anything.  My other cat is more finicky (and not as sick), and I think he's going to be the one eating all the half-used cases of food that I've accumulated in my attempt to find a food that the fatter cat can tolerate. Both have GI issues, but my chunkier cat suffers the most when he has his bouts of loose stools. If this rabbit flavor food doesn't work with him, and the vet and I can't agree on the probability of an infection, I'm going to have to try going raw.

Also, there isn't anything particularly stressful going on around here that I can think of? though I'm sure some might react to stress with GI upset. He gets plenty of attention, perhaps TOO much. lol

tailzzz24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

My cat developed food allergies (chicken, turkey and quail) this past January and it took us until almost June to get her settled on a diet that she would eat (ended up with frozen raw food).

We tried to go reasonably slow but I must have tried 20 different types of canned food (she's never eaten dry) and umpteen protein sources.  I would buy 2 cans and return one because she just wouldn't eat it and this went on and on so she was switched quite a bit from brands, flavors and protein sources.  So while it may not be recommended I can tell you if your cat is allergic to a number of protein sources like mine is, its very difficult to find foods without those proteins that she / he will eat so switching becomes quite frequent until you find something they can tolerate and actually like.

It doesn't matter what flavor of frozen raw we feed, she eats it all with no bowel distress and it comes in lamb, duck, venison, rabbit, beef, etc. which makes staying with one brand but cycling protein sources a lot easier.  Good luck.
B-Roc, where do you get this frozen food? Do you add vitamins/minerals to it or are they already in there? Also, was this the only diet that helped or the only diet she would eat?

b-roc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I get it at a number of small, privately owned pet shops in my area but Petco has started carrying it too (though mostly in chicken but also in duck).  The two I've had very good luck with are

http://www.naturesvariety.com/InstinctRaw

and

http://www.primalpetfoods.com/product/list/c/7

My cat eats 3 oz a day (3 patties) and while that may not seem like much its because there is no filler or anything its 95% protein and bone and 5% vegetable and mineral 0% grain / corn.  No supplements required.  Its a balanced and complete meal.  Her coat is nicer than ever.  She had been struggling with urinary tract infections, diaherrea and food allergies.  All that is gone now but she was just potentially diagnosed with stomatitis.  I don't think that has anything to do with the food but more the fact that I believe I have a cat with a compromised immune system as evidenced by the issues I've mentioned and others I haven't.

It is raw food so you have to treat it and the dishes you put it in accordingly.  Prices vary a bit based on the proteins source but I think it works out to about $1.50 per day at 3oz per day so that's around what I was paying per can if not slightly cheaper when I was giving her grain free only foods.  Its served cold which I thought she's object to but she eats it faster than anything we've ever given her no matter the flavor.

tailzzz24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm just trying to figure out where I'm supposed to get these 'carcasses', hearts, livers, and necks? - must I dissect these carcasses myself? (yikes) I kind of want to feed them rabbit too, but I don't ever remember seeing rabbit at the grocery store.

I have to admit I'm kind of grossed by all this, but if it's healthier and they're happy I guess I'll have to learn to identify some of these organs myself. Probably will go frozen raw for now.

b-roc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can get the organs from stores or websites that specialize in feeding reptiles and there are raw food forums and specialty online resources to help you source bone, meat, organs, vitamin powders, etc. for this purpose.  I researched all of this and looked into the cost of containers and food processors, time, freezer space, etc.  I do think the food would be better but if you mess up the vitamin and mineral and meat proportions its your cat that pays the price.  Ultimately I went with the frozen raw from the stores as the next best but way more convenient thing.

lillydsh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Stop feeding commercial food and treats. Instead, feed a homemade diet. There are books out there that have good recipes for homemade cat food. Use single protein and single carbohydrate recipes until you know what your cat is allergic to. Once you know what your cat can tolerate, you can start adding some vegetables to the food.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

tailzzz24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everybody! Lots and lots of good advice and tips! I'll check out your threads too, LDG. Been meaning to ask you too, LDG…what is that expression on your cat's face? lol

lillydsh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope I was of some help. A home cooked diet may be exactly what your cat needs. It's really good for cat's with allergies. It is a way of eliminating what foods your cat can't handle. That is why you use one protein and one carbohydrate.

tailzzz24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
LillyDSH, you definitely were a big help - sort of an elimination diet so that I can recognize the triggers, All I know is I need to do something for these two, and from what everybody is telling me, raw may be the way to go. You guys have been great! All of you!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks everybody! Lots and lots of good advice and tips! I'll check out your threads too, LDG. Been meaning to ask you too, LDG…what is that expression on your cat's face? lol
That's Chumley, a feral cat we rescued when he was "3 or 4" years old. He couldn't be released - he was so food aggressive, he disrupted the entire feral colony in just 2 or 3 days before we trapped him. His story is here (we were calling him Charlie at first): http://www.thecatsite.com/t/217397/help-charlie-is-fiv

Long story short, Chumley was VERY happy to be rescued. And that is him, smiling, being happy and thankful that he was inside, safe, fed, and getting his health fixed up. :rub:

tailzzz24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was reading his story and honestly didn't know too much about feral cats. What a good job you did with him - from the look on his face you would never know he came from where he did. So so cute!

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BTW, he is doing GREAT on the raw diet! He doesn't need any of the meds or supplements we used to keep his diarrhea under control.
That is AWESOME!  My chihuahua was on 8 medications before raw, she is now on 1 for her Hydrocephalus.  Glad to hear your kitty is doing so well on it.  It's been heaven sent for my little girl.  I just wish I could get my kitties to eat it.

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat is having a lot of issues with canned food. She was doing well on Wellness turkey and now all of a sudden her eyes and face get puffy after eating. I then put her on Wild Calling Turkey and she seemed to do good on that for a while and now her eyes and face get puffy. I do know she is allergic to fish and soy. She does not like chicken, duck or rabbit. I have tried everything. The last couple of weeks she has not felt good and keeps scratching her face. I have taken her to the vet before and that is how we found out about the fish and soy being a problem. She never had a problem with food until she had some vaccines done in 2010, she had a very bad reaction to the vaccines. She grew up eating Friskies canned food. The vet now recommends she not have any more vaccines but the rabies because it's the law here. They kept her for a few hours to watch her when she had the rabies vaccine in March.

She has constipation issues so she has to be on canned food. I was given a sample of raw turkey from a Natural pet store and she would not touch it. I only gave her a little tiny bite but she sniffed it and walked away. I then heated it a little and she still would not touch it. What does someone do if I don't really know why she is having so many problems and yet very picky about food? Also she seems to be having a reaction to the Plant Enzymes and Probiotics I recently added. She also has a reaction to L-lysine when I have added that to her food. I also bought a can of EVO 95% Chicken and Turkey, she loves it but her eyes started swelling and she scratched that side of her face today and broke the skin. She ate tonight the Wild calling with nothing added not even her Miralx and her eyes don't look bad. Could she actually be allergic to Miralax, L-lysine and the Plant Enzymes and Probiotics? I hope she can have the Miralax because she gets constipated pretty bad without.

The vet is even stumped because my cat is so picky when it comes to food. Yet she can eat Purina Cat Chow dry and not have any reactions when it comes to her face but will get constipated on dry food.