Food Allergies - how fast should I do the switch IF…

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is there a difference between Nature's Variety and Nature's Variety Instinct LID?  The one I have been talking about is the Instinct.

I went to their website.  They have two product lines.  One is Nature's Variety Prairie and one is the Nature's Variety Instinct.  Yes the Prairie has peas, carrots, and grains.  The Instinct is just meat and supplements.  Their novel proteins also contain liver from a novel source.  Some foods have a novel protein but then they add chicken liver.

Last edited:

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, It was the Nature's Variety LID that has peas in it. A guy that worked there helped me out and we read all the labels of all the different flavors in case one didn't have peas in it. I'm not exactly sure it's the peas but when I tried a food and the only thing that was different was having peas in it her face and eye was swollen just like other things she can't eat so I'm afraid to try again.

I'm so sorry I took over this thread, I guess I should have started my own. Peaches usually bounces back after being seen by the vet but she still doesn't seem right today. I do add water to her food but I never thought about the water tasting bad. I mean I should have thought of it because our water tastes horrible and we buy gallons of water as we won't drink the tap water either. I will mix her food with different water. She finally ate her food but I had to mix Friskies mixed grill in it before she would touch it and Friskies is a no no but I wanted her to eat something. I just miss the kitty who was always playing and getting excited to eat. She used to circle around me crying when I was fixing her food, now she goes in the living room while I fix it and it will take her several trips to the dish and a couple of hours before she finishes her food.

I might talk with the vet and try the steroid, I guess it couldn't hurt to try. Peaches has had more bouts of this problem and seems to be getting worse since we lost our dog Abby. Probably not connected but she has been a different cat since Abby passed away. They were very close, slept together, played and Peaches followed Abby everywhere. She lost her excitement for food mostly since June when we lost Abby. She had 2 episodes of this in late June after we lost Abby and now we are having another one. it still would not explain why she runs around screaming before having a bowel movement and the chronic constipation issues., she has done that since a kitten and gets worse as she gets older.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think this is progressive.  I do believe that cats mourn, not in the way that we do but in a way.  I think for them they are very attached to routine and are stressed when the routine changes. I believe for many cats, mine included, stress can trigger an episode.   Patches has been on a steroid for almost 3 years now and so far hasn't had issues with it.  That doesn't mean that there aren't risks though.  I think it is important that the lowest dose that controls symptoms is used.

There is one odd thing since he has been on the steroid.  He had a dental to have 2 teeth removed because of FORL and the fur is growing back really slow where he had the IV.  That's no big deal but it does show the systemic effect that steroids do have.

I have learned something from this about the peas in Nature's Variety.  Patches problem has been with proteins rather than grains or vegies.  I seen that it did not have chicken or beef liver and didn't go any further.

Last edited:

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read through this thread and am trying to catch up. My Sebastian started out with pancreatitis in July and we suspect IBD (no biopsy done), so he is being treated for IBD. Did they consider pancreatitis for Peaches? A special blood test can be sent out. In cats, it usually manifests as lethargy, anorexia, and nausea. Sebastian had vomiting, but vomiting isn't a key symptom in cats as it is in dogs.

Also, did the vet mention an appetite stimulant or an antacid?

I buy bottled filtered water (reverse osmosis) and both me and my cats like the taste much better. I switched them over just within the past month.

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No they never mentioned pancreatitis. I am going to pick up some Forti Flora from the vet today to see if we can get her to eat a little more. She still doesn't seem well and does not want to eat her food. She just takes a couple licks and walks away but does keep coming back and will eventually finish it. She tried going pop yesterday but it was very little and really hard. She is not wanting to eat enough to get the miralax in her so I am hoping the probiotic will help. The good thing is she is staying about the same weight wise so she isn't losing any at this point.

I fixed her food this morning with some of our water that I buy for us in gallon jugs, she still did the same thing and was not really interested in the food. I guess I might end up trying her on the small dose of steroid we had discussed but I will be taking her back to the vet before I consider that.

Thanks again for everyone's advice, it helps for me to mention things to the vet. I am the one who brought up possible IBD or IBS by reading people's experiences on this site.

wendysue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. Is there a consensus on the best cat food? I want to go all wet with (maybe) a little dry. I'm reading cats should really only have wet food and that dry is not good. I have checked the ingredients of many canned and there seems be some problem with all of them (wheat, corn, potatoes etc.). I've also heard no fish. What brand/meat to get? Can you mix brands/meats or stick to just one? Is there a meat that is more hypoallergenic? I don't think I want to grind my own but I'm now frustrated on what to feed. Any suggestions? Both cats do scratch their necks a lot. Thanks.