Fleas

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoggy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The floors are lacquered, so I dont think thats a problem.

And whats this 6 week cycle? What does that mean in terms of getting rid of them?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You have already put a number of things on this poor cat - DO NOT ORDER meds over the internet or buy over-the-counter products. Please do the right thing now and take your kitty to the vet.

Unless you are a vet and know what kind of worms your cat has, how strong a dosage to give for fleas, or are qualified to diagnose what is happening with your cat, you are in danger of harming your cat or making it very ill and possibly causing death.

zoggy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
????

I brought the cat to the vet.
The vet gave the cat Frontline.
2-3 weeks passed and I called the vet's office, the front desk woman picked up the phone and told me to apply to Frontline.
I applied the Frontline. I dont need medications for the CATS, I need something to get the fleas out of the HOUSE. There is no point in spending 200$ again to see the vet. I know they have fleas, and I'm treating them. I have a flea comb and Frontline.
I dont know about worms though.
Since the first vet visit he gave them boosters and a dewormer. This was 3 weeks ago, can the kittens get worms AGAIN?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zoggy

????

I brought the cat to the vet.
The vet gave the cat Frontline.
2-3 weeks passed and I called the vet's office, the front desk woman picked up the phone and told me to apply to Frontline.
I applied the Frontline. I dont need medications for the CATS, I need something to get the fleas out of the HOUSE. There is no point in spending 200$ again to see the vet. I know they have fleas, and I'm treating them. I have a flea comb and Frontline.
I dont know about worms though.
Since the first vet visit he gave them boosters and a dewormer. This was 3 weeks ago, can the kittens get worms AGAIN?
Sorry if I came on strong, but I feel strongly about getting meds from a vet and am very happy that you have gone that route.

If the kittens ingest the fleas, yes they can get worms. If the vet has already given you worm medication, then obviously they have been taken care of and if it were me I would at least phone the vet's office and explain that you still have fleas in the house and ask if the deworming will continue to work or if you will need a follow-up visit.

As for your house, vacuum daily and empty the contents of the vacuum outside each day. Vacuum your furniture as well and wash all bedding where the cats have been. If your infestation is really bad you may have to get a "bomb" and do your house (must remove you and the cats for a period of time - follow the directions). In my own instance I actually called in an exterminator and it was well worth the $100 we had to pay.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Zoggy-

Your vet should stock flea bombs. I know that mine does. We had a bad infestation last year, it was the first time I had ever seen fleas in the larvae stage! It freaked me out- but I had rescued a litter that was crawling with fleas, and even though I took care of safely taking the fleas off the kittens, the fleas got into the house and multiplied quickly. I called my vet and he gave me some flea bombs. I used four- two downstairs, two upstairs. I put all the cats out of the house and in the barn while I used it, and waited at least 4 hours before going back in the home. I haven't had fleas since.

zoggy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Whats a flea bomb?
How do I know that my "infestation" is bad?

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its like a can of bug spray except that you push down the button till it clicks and it sprays the stuff all over the room.

What you do is put it in the middle of the room on a peice of paper, push the nozzle down till it clicks, and then leave the room and close the door (with windows already closed) Then you come back about 2 or so hours later and open the doors and air if for 30 or so minutes. Then you vacuum to get rid of the dead bodies!! The instructions are on the can.

I just did this at my house on the weekend!! Hopefully all the little buggers will be gone!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your home is probably invaded by fleas, because your kittens keep getting fleas no matter what you do to them. They have to be getting them from somewhere, unless you are letting them outside?

zoggy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Im not lettting them outside.
So you are most likely right.
My dad bought some Hartz stuff for 8 dollars at Shoprite...
Now, most likely it wont even work, but i'm not on that case right now.
I'm worried of the after-effects. Its not to apply on the cats. Its to spray in the house and carpets. I told him to get the fogger for it was 14 bucks, but no.
Edit: The spray is called Hartz Advanced Care 3 in 1 Home Spray. Its basically to spray around the house. Theoretically the major problems with the drops and collars are that they are considered insecticide drugs.
However, the fact is that it is what I need to get rid of the fleas, right?
The ingredients say:

(S) - Methoprene ............ 0.01%
Permethrin .................... 0.28%
Other Ingredients ........ 99.71%

Those are the same ingredients found on the OTC fogger you guys gave me called the Zodiac Fogger. The active ingredients on it are also (S)-methoprene and permethrin. So I'm wondering if its safe to spray in the house?

The bottle I have is

Edit: I called the vet. The desk woman picked up. I told her about the fleas and she told me that fleas don't carry worms and the cats can't get them from the fleas, only from the mother... (???)
She told me to get a Frontline spray from them.
Now i'm confused. Fleas don't carry worms??

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Zoggy, Zoggy, Zoggy. You have all your answers in this thread. Hissy has more knowledge and experience than many of us put together so review her advice.

Go back to page one and re-read the information and you will successfully get rid of the fleas.

I'm no expert, but IMO the spray your dad bought is just money wasted. I can't tell you how many of those types of things we bought from the stores and from the vet and none of them worked. They weren't strong enough to do the job.

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zoggy

Im not lettting them outside.
So you are most likely right.
My dad bought some Hartz stuff for 8 dollars at Shoprite...
Now, most likely it wont even work, but i'm not on that case right now.
I'm worried of the after-effects. Its not to apply on the cats. Its to spray in the house and carpets. I told him to get the fogger for it was 14 bucks, but no.
Edit: The spray is called Hartz Advanced Care 3 in 1 Home Spray. Its basically to spray around the house. Theoretically the major problems with the drops and collars are that they are considered insecticide drugs.
However, the fact is that it is what I need to get rid of the fleas, right?
The ingredients say:

(S) - Methoprene ............ 0.01%
Permethrin .................... 0.28%
Other Ingredients ........ 99.71%

Those are the same ingredients found on the OTC fogger you guys gave me called the Zodiac Fogger. The active ingredients on it are also (S)-methoprene and permethrin. So I'm wondering if its safe to spray in the house?

The bottle I have is

Edit: I called the vet. The desk woman picked up. I told her about the fleas and she told me that fleas don't carry worms and the cats can't get them from the fleas, only from the mother... (???)
She told me to get a Frontline spray from them.
Now i'm confused. Fleas don't carry worms??
No, it is NOT safe to use the Hartz spray, and Zodiac is not safe either. If you think a regular vet visit is expensive, just wait until you have to take them to the emergency vet because they are twitching uncontrollably! I've seen this more than once.

This has been said before: over the counter flea products do not work and are potentially very dangerous to your cats. Flea treatments that you can get from your vet are completely safe and highly effective. So you have two choices: pay for something that is useless or pay for something that will work.

Fleas carry tapeworms only. Kittens get roundworms from their mother.

zoggy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So what do I do?
This is idiotic. Every vet I call doesn't have "flea bombs".
Instead, they recommend Frontline and Advantage.
I keep rephrasing to the moron desk woman that I dont need the Frontline, but a way to get the fleas out of the house. Her response, "Uhhh..."
To top it off, my parents aren't helping either.
My dad is being stubborn buying the Hartz house spray, no one is listening to me, and when I try to find out how to get rid of the fleas from my house people tell me to get a fogger, then in the next post they say that it doesn't work.
Washing, salting, vacuuming, none of that works. HOW do I get rid of these fleas?
If I don't they'll keep reproducing and biting my cats. I don't know who to listen to or what to do about it.

/rant

zoggy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
New York...

zoggy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Borough of Brooklyn, to be more specific.

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, two foggers that I can see so far

Adams Room Fogger with Sykilstop
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2002+113517

And Virbac Knockout Room & Area Fogger

I would look up all your local vet and pet stores and ask if they store these products. The prices were around $8.

Tell your Dad that if he wants to stop the fleas from biting HIM, he'll use the foggers. They work much better than anything else and they'll kill the fleas!!!

zoggy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Im not telling my dad anything.
He's acting like a fool, its useless to break this down to him.

Thank you for the link.
I have a question though.
Have you tried those products? How do you know they will work?
How can you tell which are better, the ones made by that company or by Zodiac or Hartz or whatever.

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't personally tried these products as I live in Australia and we have different products here.

I have used a fogger and it worked just fine. The Adams product is made by a Veterinary Product Laboratory so all the the things they make are specifically for pet use or use around pets.

The Virbac also didn't have a million and one ingedients other than the ones needed for killing fleas.

All of this is obviously only advice and to be taken with a grain of salt. If anyone else on the forum knows more about these particular products I'm happy for them to speak up.

If you could, I would try and get one of the foggers and use it while your parents are out for the day - That way they will never know you used it! You only have to keep the rooms closed up for around 2 hours. Send your parents to the movies!!

zoggy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its really only my dad. My mom supports my ideas. My dad thinks hes the "stuff" since back in Russia no one needed anything and you can survive in the forest by hunting wild boars and bears, and all that macho rubbish.

I think the best time to use it would be in the morning before I go to school.
But If I leave the cats in another room will they still be affected?