Fleas

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zoggy

I hope.

My parents are tired of these fleas and I am too!
I dont have time to play or teach them anything now because all I worry about are these damn fleas. It pisses me off each time I see them scratching themselves every 5 seconds. And the frontline costs 35$. Two cats - thats 35$ every month. 420$ a year.
Argh.
That is a lot of money. Our flea treatment was covered under our insurance so I didn't realize how expensive it really was I guess.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoggy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And all you people living in Kentucky or the south states its like 10 bucks to get spayed.
Here its 15$ for a flea bath.

poohandwendy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Actually, if your cats are going to remain indoors, you should not need to use the flea treatment for very long before you rid the area and the animals completely of fleas.

You will have to dilgently remove the fleas from the carpets and other surfaces, too. But, once you get rid of them...you should be fine and not have to worry about more and more flea treatment costs.

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not true, because people can bring fleas in on their clothes, shoes etc. So you should always use a preventative but you won't have to be as stringent with the treatments as chances of them getting infected again is heavily reduced.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here in Canada we use the flea treatment only during the summer months as a preventative and that's because our cats do go outside on their harness and leash and could pick up fleas in the grass. In the winter there is no problem with fleas - too darn cold.

Over the years I've never done flea treatment for my indoor only cats and I never ever had a flea infestation except for the one time when we got a barn cat and the poor little guy was alive with fleas. After we had the extermination done in the house, we never treated either the cat or the house again for fleas and we were flea-free.

It's true that fleas can be brought in on our clothing, etc., but I don't think you need to spend a lot of money on prevention once you have gotten rid of the fleas initially. You should check your kitties on a regular basis to make sure they haven't picked up any of the little critters IMO.

jessicasoosweet

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
advantage for cats works wonders you can get it at the vets office here in texas i pay $13 for it and when i lived in oregon i payed $11 for it and it is the only flea stuff i have found that has ever worked

zoggy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, I got a flea comb.

I took out like 25 fleas. It was flea genocide.
AND THEY'RE STILL THERE!

zoggy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok over the past days I got like 40 fleas or so. And I thought they were rid of them, just today in the morning I managed to scoop out 11 from one and 5 from another.
*sigh*

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Specifically what kind of Frontline were they given?

Frontline Top Spot only kills adult fleas. The flea eggs and larvae continue to grow.

You need to use Frontline Plus, Revolution, or Advantage to break the flea life cycle.

zoggy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bathed them again today and applied two packets of Frontline Plus per each kitten.
I have removed all the rugs from my room and rolled them up. Are the fleas going to die if I wash the rugs? How do I kill them if they're in my bed and clothes?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are flea-treating these kittens to much, and you need to stop or you will harm them. Flea treatments are poison and they are slow-acting. It is possible that you are the source of fleas in your home and not just these kittens.

Talk to your vet and get a good flea fogger from him. Remove the kittens for several hours before and after you use the treatment, and follow all label instructions carefully.

Here is your flea timeline based on your posts:

10/11 flea bath
10/12 flea powder (not sure about that one, your friend was bringing it over)
10/15 flea bath at vets/fronline plus applied/ frontline collars
10/16 Frontline plus (again)
11/1- second flea bath
11/3 Frontline (again)
11/6- bath and Frontline

Zoggy I have rescued kittens crawling with fleas, almost dead from anemia and I have never had to apply this much preventative. I use DAWN liquid soap in warm water and a flea comb, give the kittens something to prevent anemia and that's it. I am taking a plunge here and saying it is your home infested with fleas and not these kittens.

nebula11

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

You are flea-treating these kittens to much, and you need to stop or you will harm them. Flea treatments are poison and they are slow-acting. It is possible that you are the source of fleas in your home and not just these kittens.

Talk to your vet and get a good flea fogger from him. Remove the kittens for several hours before and after you use the treatment, and follow all label instructions carefully.

10/11 flea bath
11/1- second flea bath
11/3 Frontline (again)
11/6- bath and Frontline

Zoggy I have rescued kittens crawling with fleas, almost dead from anemia and I have never had to apply this much preventative. I use DAWN liquid soap in warm water and a flea comb, give the kittens something to prevent anemia and that's it. I am taking a plunge here and saying it is your home infested with fleas and not these kittens.
Exactly....actually flea eggs are practically immortal....they can burrow in rugs and cracks and hybernate till the most oppurtune moment....Its not uncommon for a person to move into a house or apartment and suddenly have a flea infestation.........

Please listen to Mary-Anne.....Ecspecially with kittens that age any flea meds in excess with cause more harm then good

zoggy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

10/11 flea bath
11/1- second flea bath
11/3 Frontline (again)
11/6- bath and Frontline

10/11 Flea bath (yes)
10/12 No powder
10/15 Flea bath + Frontline Plus applied (no collars)
10/16 No...?
11/1 Second flea bath (yes)
11/3 No...?
11/6 Bath and frontline (yes)

You make it sound like I applied 20 packets of Frontline.
The only Frontline applied was: Half a packet for both kits at the vet, and today two packets for each kitten.
There was no powder, and no collars.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is not what your posts said- and I was going on that. Again- you need to stop flea treating these kittens so much. Treat your home to exposure to the fleas and remove all animals and people when the foggers are going off.

zoggy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What are foggers? How much does it cost?

zoggy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awesome.
What is it?

dr. doolittle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
O.K. I live on the Wet Coast of Canada (no not a typo). Unlike where Yosemite lives, fleas are a year round problem here. If you are still having problems please PM me. I am sure I can answer any questions you may have.

As Hissy said- please do not apply any more product to these kittens and don't give them any more baths. The application should last for one month and bathing them will not kill the fleas. Are any of the fleas you are getting with the comb still alive??? If not then the product is working. If they are, then either you applied it wrong or your fleas are resistant (not likey). Consider getting a different product from the vet.

Now that the kittens have been treated you need to look at the environment. Pick one day when you have lots of time to clean, preferrably when one or both of your parents have time to help you.
Follow this routine for every room in your house whether or not the kittens have been in it:

1. Strip all the beds and wash all sheets, blankets, and comforters in hot soapy water. Use bleach only when it is safe for the fabric.

2. Wash all pet beds... in hot soapy water.

3. Remove any washable rugs and launder them as well in hot soapy water.

4. Vaccum all the floors, under all the furniture, and in all the crevices. Also vaccum the couch and any chairs. Put cut up flea collars in the vaccum bags and place all used bags outside immediately.

5. Finally if you think you need it, use a premise spray in your house following all the directions. Pay special attention to the corners of the room, and all the nooks and crannies. (You could consider hiring a professional for this step)

If you do this and continue to apply a flea treatment every month you will soon be rid of all the fleas. Keep in mind that the flea has a 6 week life cycle and no one product kills ALL the stages of the life cycle. (In fact there are NO products that kill the coccoon stage) That means that you may still see the occasional live flea for up to 6 weeks after you start to use a flea product. As long as you apply the product every 4 weeks or so any fleas that get into your home from outside or hatch from the environment will die quickly and won't be able to reproduce. Please be patient.