Flambé disaster

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dottie has the day off today, so she took FlambÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] down to the shelter to see if we could get him adopted. To put it bluntly, it was a disaster.

First, he didn't want to get out of the carrier. After numerous tries, she got him out. In the process, she got severely bitten on the hand. The shelter helped her clean out the wound and bandage it.

Then, she had to get him back in the carrier and take him back home. He is under legal quarantine for 10 days. Since his rabies vaccination is up to date, they are letting him serve it out at home. When that is up, I guess we're going to have to adopt him.

Carolina knows FlambÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] and she can tell you this is not the cat she knows. There is something at the shelter that just puts him in a panic. Poor baby.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, I am so sorry and I hope Dottie is ok. I think Flambe probably just panicked and wanted to stay with you, wish I lived nearer I would snap him up.xx

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've seen it before where for some reason otherwise docile/sweet cats flip out @ all the "shelter commotion".

I know it puts you guys between a rock & a hard place - but I honestly don't understand why he's hasn't gotten adopted already, as gorgeous as he is (even if he doesn't "show" well)!

aprilyim

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear about the bad news! He's very lucky to have you and Dottie in his corner though.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I'm also suprised he hasn't been adopted - he's a gorgeous boy.
I always wonder what they hear and smell in shelter that can set them off like that. Our Wendel also didn't "show" well. I think his foster mom was honestly suprised when we took him.

Poor Dottie and poor Flambe.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw that's sad, Mike! At least Flambe will get an excellent home -- but it means one less you can foster!
Vibes for Dottie's recovery

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Mike, I am so sorry! Sorry for Dottie, and sorry for Flambe!
You are so right... That is sooooo not him! He is just about the most docile and friendly cat I have ever met... The poor thing must been so unbelievably freaked out to do that
Maybe he remembered his shelter days and just didn't stand the thought of being in a cage again...
I am so sorry Mike

Please give both Dottie and Flambe a hug

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw poor Dottie and poor FlambÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]! So.... are we sorry that you have to adopt him? He seems like SUCH a wonderful kitty, and he's pretty much already part of your home!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, sorry he bit your wife.

I hope she is ok.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, yeah... I fully understand. Rex -who is sweet and laid back, bit me or tried to.. when I went to put him in a carrier to go to the vet! Didn't break the skin.

It was a fear response, pure and simple. Doesn't make the injury hurt any less. Poor Dottie! for her hand.

None of my failed fosters liked being in the carrier and only Archie and Tex seemed to handle the "showings" with some measure of confidence. It is one reason I stopped fostering and showing... I couldn't take how frightened they were.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm wondering if it might be the bleach used for cleaning. I seem to have heard that it can have psychoactive effects on some animals...

He's fine tonight. Dottie's hands are unbelievable. Looks like she was juggling running chain saws. Well, maybe dull chainsaws. She really only has one bite that's a real concern. She went to the doctor, who cleaned it out, bandaged it, and prescribed a course of antibiotics.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Situations like that - a scared cat in a carrier - can go sideways really fast. I hope Dottie's bite doesn't become infected.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh poor Dottie and Flambe. I bet it was the smells, he knew other kitties were around and they were not his normal friends.

I hope Dottie is ok.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like he is meant to be yours!

I hope Dottie heals up quickly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by farleyv

Oh poor Dottie and Flambe. I bet it was the smells, he knew other kitties were around and they were not his normal friends.
Dottie said he panicked as soon as she went in the front door, so it has to be something about the place.

It makes you wonder how many great cats we put to sleep just because of that fear reaction.