First Time Mom!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittenstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah! What is a good brand of kitten food i could start them with!? Ive actually been laying with them a bit and letting them get use to my scent while mama watches. Lol Thanks again for the answer. Its great to have the advice! My mama cat follows me everywhere and constantly meows too...idk what thats about. She started doing that a few days ago.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She's talking to you about her children! Tell her, show her, that you understand and will be there for her. Fancy Feast makes kitten food in turkey and tuna. I prefer the turkey. If they don't go for that, any of the adult Fancy Feast Classic flavors will work! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

P.S. Is she getting enough to eat 24/7? She should never be hungry while nursing.

Last edited:

kittenstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She only stops chirping and meowing when i physical sit with her and her babies. Idk why she started doing this. Maybe she is running outta milk or something. Idk. But tomorrow im going to buy some good wet food and try to get them to starty eating and drinking. They walk around now but its more of a wobble. Lmao

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are toddlers! Try Fancy Feast Classic chicken and turkey flavors. Mix it with KMR to make a mush for the kittens and see if they will lap it. That's how to start weaning. You'll need a kitten-sized litter pan soon too, that they can get into. Let us know how it goes.

kittenstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for all the help! I really appreciate it. Its good to know people are out there to help when needed.

kittenstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Now she keeps meowing at her old nesting spot...:(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She's confused. Just pick her up and take her to her babies. She'll be okay.

kittenstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is such a weirdo! All this meowing is driving me up the walls bc i just want to know how to help. Shes in the room meowong at it but when i put the kittens in there she just sat outside the door and meowed at them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just put the kittens where she moved them to in your room, and close off the other area if you can. She sounds confused. She will settle down though, eventually.

kittenstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah she seems to have settled down a bit now. I did catch her nipping at the kitties this morning is that normal? Lol

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's also possible that she's going into heat.  Did you have your male neutered?  Are they still separated?

kittenstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ohhhh that makes sense then! Yeah he is! I went out anf got kmr and kitten food. When i should i start feeding them this?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep. Just be super sure to keep her inside until she is spayed.

Kittens will become interested in solids between 4-6 weeks, generally.

kittenstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Excellent! Her spay appointment is for the 28th of this month! I tried giving mom some kmr she didnt want it. Lol maybe i should make it a little bit warmer for her next time!

kittenstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I still havent been able to get the kittens to drink the kmr. I even tried making a watm gruel and nothing. I dont see the mama feeding them very often anymore. One of the kitties this morning actually lapped at the formula a few times. Mom ended up eating the whole thing. Loool The kitties have begun to wander and play! :D They love hiding in corners. Im bringing my sister over today to look at them. Hopefully try to slowly introduce them to human contact!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like they are almost ready to wean. Keep trying the warm gruel, and leave kitten chow down 24/7 for them. They'll get there soon! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

kittenstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HEY everyone! So today when i picked up my mama cat i felt her bottom 2 nipples and they are super swollen likw the size of eggs shells...idk if that is normal since she doesnt feed her kids as often. The others are pretty swollen too but no where near egg shells. Any ideas if its mastitis or something!? Thanks yousssss!!!!