First Time Introducing Cats- When To Intervene?

claudettebillie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last year I adopted a kitten named Oakley. The shelter said he was 8 weeks old, but when I brought him to the vet, they believed he was closer to 7 weeks. He had a horrible URI that I helped him through and we have an extremely close bond. He is currently a little over a year old and has a history of play aggression and just never seems to know when to stop. Realizing that he had so much energy that I alone cannot help him out with, I read up and decided to try another cat with him. I took my time since I volunteer at a shelter (not the same one that gave me a 7 week old) until I found a good cat for him- he's a kitten, so he's non-threatening, he's very friendly, and he had an overbearing sister, so he is familiar with being dominated. His name is Morty, and he's currently 11 weeks old.

So, we have progressed in introductions to the point where Oakley no longer hisses or growls at Morty, but now I believe Oakley's play aggression is starting to overtake him. Since he was weaned so young, it never occurred to me that he may not "speak cat" very well. He follows and stalks the little one constantly and pounces whenever Morty runs, and Morty, being the submissive kitten he is, doesn't fight back and will simply cry. These cries don't seem to bother Oakley.

I have introduced lots of ferrets before successfully, so I'm used to deciphering play from fighting. I understand the value in letting the scuffles work themselves out, but I've never experienced a situation where one party will not defend himself. I was initially only intervening if Oakley's mouth migrated to Morty's throat, but now it's to the point where Oakley is doing flips and rolls while having Morty by the scruff. Morty is becoming scared.

The main issue is that I think Oakley just doesn't bother to read others around him. He bites me, the person he is closest to, and will not stop unless sprayed with water. I thought he would communicate better with a cat, but he doesn't seem to be listening at all. I get the whole "asserting dominance" thing, but he is going up against a kitten 1/4 his size who is more than willing to let him take a seat at the throne. Am I just overreacting to this, or is there something I can do to help? Morty isn't bleeding or anything, but I cannot just let him be tossed around like a rag doll!

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's very common, particularly with young male cats. Oakley is playing with Morty as he would with prey which is not good. Cat's this age have an enormous amount of energy which needs to be expelled. Jackson Galaxy says cats were meant for speed, not stamina so you grab a teaser toy ("da bird toys make playing incredibly easy) or a laser toy and you play with Oakley until he gets tired, you then give him a few minutes to recover and you play with him again, you then you give him a treat or it's meal. After that Oakley shouldn't have the energy or inclination to chase poor Morty.

I also found a Kong Kickaroo (or any stuffed toy) useful, grab it when the cat is in one of those moods and redirect him to it. He can bite and bunny kick it until he's tired.

Your kitten is very young, he doesn't have a happy history and he doesn't have a lot of confidence. The way you give a kitten confidence is by having it own it's space. Cat trees allow cats to feel safe while being a part of what is happening in the house. Ditto for perches near windows where they can see the birds.

Personally, if you can, I suggest that Morty spends some time by himself without Oakley present to just feel enjoy himself in the space without fear of being attacked but don't do it if Oakley starts to fret. I put down cat tunnels in doorways where my kitten was likely to be pounced on, my kitten loved them.

The final thing is to use an authoritative voice and just continue to use it (say "No") as Oakley is about to pounce (or clap your hands). I know it sounds like it won't work but you need to do it consistently with him and eventually he will get it. Separating him for a few minutes may work, this isn't discipline, cats have a short attention span, hopefully he will go off and do something else or you could re- direct him toward his stuffed toy or something similar.