Feral Dilute Torbie Recently Adopted

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, thank you for the back ground info! Totally agree with the feral id! My heart stopped when you told about the guy with the towel, a good group of people to say no. Not somebody who should have any animal that needs special care. I'm not sure I'd trust him with any animal at all!

You have done a great job, taking your time and letting her make the moves.A perfect match for each other.

Such a perfect example of how ferals can be socialized. I hate it when people just shrug it off and say it's impossible. 

Thank you!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi KSKatt, Thank you for your reply.  I've had Emma since mid-March.  Paws brought her to a cattery to socialize her. One woman was working with her there for about 6 months.  She also volunteers at Paws.  Emma hid under my bed for at least 3 weeks when I first got her, and then later started coming out at night to explore.  The only time she came out from under the bed during the day is when I would feed her or when she needed to use the cat box, but then she went right back under the bed. She still runs away from me when I walk by her.  I have learned not to make direct eye contact because she perceives that as a threat.  She will jump on my lap or join me on the bed but I have to be completely still. If I reach for my remote control she jumps off of me, or if I'm about to cough she jumps off of me.  I also have another kitty who's 10 or 12 years older than she is, and they're starting to get along now, and maybe that's helped her out as well.  I lead a pretty quiet life and never really have anybody come over.  I don't listen to music in the house, only in my car.  I think that's why she's learning to adapt a little bit faster to her surroundings because there is not a lot going on here.  She is strictly an indoor cat.  I do watch a lot of TV, and she sometimes scared of my TV and backs up then runs away after she looks at it, and I don't even have surround sound. 

They told me she was feral at Paws where I adopted her.  They also said she had three kittens and they were all adopted.  She was spayed after that. Apparently someone else was interested in her and threw a towel over her when he tried to take her, and they told him he couldn't take the cat after all because of that, and it set the cat back again for awhile where she was scared of everybody so it took another few weeks to re-socialize her.  They also brought her to a different Paws because they didn't want the same  guy to come back and get her and that's how I found her at the Paws near me.  I've had other stray cats before and they were never as scared like she is.  I really think she was a feral Kitty before.  She is a joy and I'm glad I adopted her. I don't regret my decision on taking her. Tyler and her are not buddy-buddy yet, but they do play with each other and chase each other around the condo, and they take turns doing that.  I will be patient for as long as it takes.  My cats are my life!
Maybe they arent best friends as yet, but this sounds definitely as they are pals.  Some never get into this stage, barely co-existing...

One tip. You dont have radio on you tell.  But you can try with calming, relaxing music!   Harp classical music is best for ferales, they say, but almost any may work.  But radio with human voices isnt good for shy ferales whom hadnt really landed yet.  It just triggers their alert-reaction...

Tx for helping this girl!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jdwns12

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
StefanZ, Thank you for your reply. I love your suggestion about playing harp classical music or other classical music which helps relax feral cats. Thank you for that suggestion! I'll try Pandora on my computer and download that kind of music. Thank you so much for your input. Another question I have for you is when I take a picture of her on my cell phone camera on a bright day she appears to have darker fur, when I take a picture of her in a darker room, her hair is more silvery. She is a silver cat with black stripes- torbie or shaded silver coat. My question to you is the very top edge of her hair has color, silver or black, if I pet her hair backwards it's all white underneath, is that a trait of the shaded silver cat? I've had many cats and none of them had a different color undercoat before. I am so glad that Tyler (my other cat) and Emma are pals.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
. Another question I have for you is when I take a picture of her on my cell phone camera on a bright day she appears to have darker fur, when I take a picture of her in a darker room, her hair is more silvery. She is a silver cat with black stripes- torbie or shaded silver coat. My question to you is the very top edge of her hair has color, silver or black, if I pet her hair backwards it's all white underneath, is that a trait of the shaded silver cat? I've had many cats and none of them had a different color undercoat before. I am so glad that Tyler (my other cat) and Emma are pals.
Yes.  :)   Im no expert on silver-shades, though, so I wont say much more..

Trying to refresh my memory, I found  there are degrees in the silver shade.   IF a third of the hair is (black) tipped, its called for silver shade.

If just 1/8 is (black tipped), that silver shade is called for chinchilla...

Its very possible yours is really such a chinchilla coloring - version of silver shade...

as you are interested, you can proceed and google on it yourself you too - now when you know what to look for...  :)

@blueyedgirl5946    reminded me  I had this your question to answer.    Tx for the reminder!     :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL...a propos nothing whatsoever, except my own idiocy and the fact that I must get new glasses, I keep reading the title of this thread as "Febrile Dilute Calico" rather than "Feral Dilute Calico" and wondering why in the world someone allowed you to adopt a cat with a fever!  Thank goodness, I have an eye appointment in August!

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The look on her face, in that last pic, is like she can hear me thinking, "oh, I want to kiss that furry little belly!"

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

The look on her face, in that last pic, is like she can hear me thinking, "oh, I want to kiss that furry little belly!"
~GRIN~  When Hekitty lies like that, I tell her I want to "snorgle in her belleh floof."  She knows what it means.  She gets up, and turns her back on me, yes, I'm shunned.

WHAT a beautiful cat she is!  Like molten moonlight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jdwns12

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Kittens Mom,

Thank you for your reply! It's funny, some people say dilute tortie, some people say dilute torbie, others say a silver tabby, and others say silver shaded. No matter what coat type she has, I think she's beautiful! I personally feel she is a dilute torbie because she does have some black stripes going down her side although not a lot of them. She also has a white undercoat. None of the cats I had in the past had a different color undercoat. I think that's kind of neat.