Feeding only dry food??

gusmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Congats on your new kitty. Please do not feed just dry. My 9 year old cat just became blocked. He only ate dry food, which probably lead to this. I can not express strongly enough how much all cats need constant hydration. Dry just does not cut it. I thought i was doing my cat!s teeth a favor, i was not. Hindsight is 20/20 and never ever will i feed poor Gus dry again, blockage is horribly painful and a sad thing to go through, plus expensive to fix. Please consider wet food. Consider what wild cats eat. All cats are carnivores. Whatever you do, be sure your kitty has plenty to drink. Good luck!

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

So I want to try and compromise with him and at least go cheaper on wet. Would this be find to do?
Absolutely! Many of us feed the cheaper brands of wet food. Dr. Pierson believes that a diet of cheap wet food is better than an all-dry diet of a premium brand (www.catinfo.org). I have a good rotation going for Boo and Caesar on the cheap wet foods, including Friskies, Fancy Feast, Purina Pro Plan, Sheba, and Iams. Limit how often you feed fish-based foods, however. Check your local flyers/circulars for sales.

Don't listen to people telling you wet food is bad for their teeth. The truth is...we need to brush our cats' teeth, just like we brush our own. Some cats are genetically prone to bad oral health, even with brushing.

I like what @Gusmom had to say. An all-dry diet is convenient and cheaper, but you and kitty will be paying for it later down the road.

I'm glad you're making such an effort to keep wet food on the table (no pun intended) and trying to work with your hubby to do so.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, read labels and compare store brands to name brands.  My Grey (RIP) preferred the Winn Dixie version of Fancy Feast classics to the actual name brand.  Saved me money and kitty was happy.

sickcatmomma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Anyone had issues with cat illness and friskies grillers blend? Please msg me!!

scorpgirl68

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Because kibble is so concentrated without much water, it can be hard on their stomachs with a quick switch.

But canned food has so much moisture in it, it's usually not a problem to switch flavors and brands as often as you want. In fact, it's better for the cats to have that variety - and safer in the event of any future recalls that they're used to different brands already.

Would you want to eat only the same flavor and brand of canned stew for months at a time? IMO, it's like that.
Better to get them acclimated to different foods when they are young. I'm having a hard time switching wet brands. Right now they are eating Natural Balance Indoor with contain careenegen so I was thinking it might be good to put something new in the rotation. But, both seem finicky with anything new that I try. They are 5 and 6 yrs old but have been getting wet for almost a year. It seems I get impatient because I have to (right now anyway) add Miralax and want to be sure they are eating it. Any suggestions as to how to switch?