Feeding only dry food??

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There may be less expensive alternatives, but what to look for in ingredients is meat. You want a food that has no grains - it's definitely best to avoid corn, and wheat or wheat gluten can be a problem for kitties over time. If you have the name of the food, we can take a look at it for you. I do hope your husband can understand the concept that cats are obligate carnivores. Their bodies are designed to get all their nutrition from animals. They are just not "set up" to derive their needed nutrition from plants, and this places stress on their systems over time. Saving money on food now may result in large vet bills when they're older. I'm sure you know the saying, don't be penny wise and pound foolish. :heart2:

If you do decide to switch dry foods, it is best to switch them slowly. Add less than 1/4 of the total amount of food you put out as the new food, and keep it that way for a few days to make sure it doesn't upset tummies with vomiting or diarrhea. Then increase it to 50%, and keep it that way for a few days, etc. It should take at least a week to make a full switch to the new food; the slower the better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

newkittyowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have decided to do some research into canned food for my kittens and find one that isn't crap but isn't too expensive. I have been to many sites and read many reviews and it's overwhelming as I think I have found one that someone says is good and then you read another persons view and they say it's crap. Like someone mentioned here about Fancy feast is okay but then another comment I read on another site says it's not good for them it has by product in it. I know of a pet store here in town that said they have a canned food that is all meat( I haven't looked at the ingred yet) but it's over a dollar a can if I am recalling correctly. To be honest I haven't looked at prices of any of the canned food so I guess I got to do that. Any other suggestions of brands that are good are welcomed. We have a Pet Smart, Pet Valu that are close to me. I also have a Superstore I do my grocery shopping at. I live in Canada so some brands if you live in USA I can imagine won't be available to me and plus prices will be different. 

Right now as you have read we only feed them dry. Not sure if I should still provide dry all day in addition to the wet. I am hoping to eventually provide wet at least once a day may be twice. Not sure about going just wet food. Dry would be helpful ( yes i know convenience is not the best) but then we don't need to worry if we were away for the day or over night as they would still get food. How does one decide on how much wet and dry in a day and during the night. 

Also I guess if I get them on a schedule would I have to wean them off the having it all day? I think it would be stressful for them to suddenly notice food isn't available all the time. 

We don't plan to switch to wet just yet but I think i have gotten my hubby on board a bit more as long as I do my research on how much it will cost etc. 

Is there specific wet food for kittens? just thought of that question.  

I will leave it at that for now and thanks for reading and answering my questions :)

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, you will find varying reviews all over the place. And unfortunately, in my experience, people tend to post more bad reviews online rather than positive ones.

Don't get us wrong...Fancy Feast is certainly not top-of-the-line by any means, and yes, it does have by-products in it. But it's a starting point. I would rather see a cat eating Fancy Feast for at least 50% of it's diet rather than all dry, all the time. The Fancy Feast Classics are high protein, low carb, grain free, and generally liked by many finicky felines. For cats not used to being fed wet food, they tend to take to a brand like Fancy Feast first. It's also cheaper compared to premium brands. Purina One Classic pates are also comparable to Fancy Feast Classic. Once you can actually get your cat to eat wet food, you can introduce premium brands, but they are more expensive. Nutro Natural Choice Soft Loaf or Chunky Loaf varieties are okay as a middle-of-the-road option and occasionally go on sale at PetSmart. Soulistic is a reasonable brand that uses real meat chunks and is made by Weruva, but I think it's only available at Petco.

I understand that it is sometimes difficult to feed only wet, especially with varying schedules or not being home all the time. I feed wet and dry, morning and night. My cats don't need a lot because they are seniors and less active. Perhaps someone more experienced in kitten health could respond and let you know how many calories a kitten should have. Then you could calculate.

I'm not sure if scheduled feeding applies to kittens; it's very possible that they have to eat more frequently, but here's what I do. I put down the wet food first to make sure they eat that all up. I hang around and supervise while they are eating the wet. When they finish the wet, I put down the dry. I give them until I leave for work (morning) or until I go to bed (night) to finish their food. Whatever they don't eat, I pick up. It puts them on a schedule and gives them a healthy fast in between meals. They are nice and hungry and ready to eat again for the next meal time. When I first started doing scheduled feeding, they didn't "get it." They wouldn't finish their food, and I'd pick it up. It didn't take them long at all to learn.
  I suppose I could have been weaned them off by reducing the amount I left out a little at a time.

Don't be so stressed out about making the transition right away. Heck, go out and buy just one can of something, and see how it goes. Best of luck!

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Friskies Pates are an extremely inexpensive way of giving your kitties some canned food in a fairly healthy way. They are frequently on sale and also can be bought online in bulk even cheaper. They aren't top of the line, but are even cheaper then Fancy Feast and not a bad option as regards to it's ingredients. They typically run about .50 cents a 5.5 oz can. And can frequently be bought in 13oz sizes like Walmarts and supermarkets for around $1. So if you fed each 1/4 a can twice (morning and night) a day, with dry down the rest of the time, 1 can would last you 2 days. That comes to .25 cents a day! Approx $7.50 a month.

I don't want to get preachy (and not directed at anyone), but it's irks me to no end that there are vets that are still recommending all dry diets. Maybe because they'd go out of business if suddenly all cats became healthy because they ate what they were meant to eat? Would your Dr recommend you go out and eat McDonalds everyday for the rest of your life? Yes, some cats can survive on an all dry diet (many more don't), but they do not thrive. No more so then we would if we ate fast food for every meal. Unfortunately when vets tell people it's ok and at times suggest it's a must, to feed dry food, the uninformed take it at face valve and think, if the vet say's it's ok, then it must be ok. Then when you try and change their minds and give them better information, they look at you like your nuts. I think this is where your husband fits. You may never change his mind about this unless you can find a vet that is also into nutrition. Ok vent over.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not as quick to recommend Friskies over others because their pates contain rice, but they are cheap. If there's no grain allergy, then I suppose it's not an issue.

I hear you, Katluver4life. This vet I used to see was totally in tune with cat health, feline medicine, etc. - absolutely brilliant in every respect except nutrition. When she recommended a prescription dry diet to get my Sebastian to lose weight, I refused so quickly it startled her. I told her that he needs the wet food and that I'm perfectly capable of keeping a log of his caloric intake and checking the nutritional analysis of the foods I feed him. She admitted that the vet schools don't teach them much about feline nutrition.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not as quick to recommend Friskies over others because their pates contain rice, but they are cheap. If there's no grain allergy, then I suppose it's not an issue.

I hear you, Katluver4life. This vet I used to see was totally in tune with cat health, feline medicine, etc. - absolutely brilliant in every respect except nutrition. When she recommended a prescription dry diet to get my Sebastian to lose weight, I refused so quickly it startled her. I told her that he needs the wet food and that I'm perfectly capable of keeping a log of his caloric intake and checking the nutritional analysis of the foods I feed him. She admitted that the vet schools don't teach them much about feline nutrition.

I usually recommend the Friskies pates to those who need an inexpensive canned food. I want to add that I'd go for the Poultry Platter variety as it is the only one that has Turkey as the first ingredient. Though there is some rice in them, it is further down on the ingredient list and it's not corn or wheat which is worse.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I usually recommend the Friskies pates to those who need an inexpensive canned food. I want to add that I'd go for the Poultry Platter variety as it is the only one that has Turkey as the first ingredient. Though there is some rice in them, it is further down on the ingredient list and it's not corn or wheat which is worse. :)
:nod: Yes. I use the Friskies pate style foods. I also use the Fancy Feast classics, and buy them when they're on sale.

Don't forget, you can also give a treat of an egg yolk once or twice a week. :)

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I, too, feed the Friskies pate type. I have run into my vet at the store when I was buying it several times. She knows that wet food is the best for cats, but also realizes that most of her clients don't have much income. She always comments that other than the Herpes complications, Silly is a healthy-looking and -feeling cat. Silly is 13.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also consider some of the store brands! My old Grey girl (RIP) actually preferred the Winn Dixie brand of Fancy Feast classics.

To help convince the hubby, have him look at www.catinfo.org with you to look at the conditions that a wet diet helps prevent.

Last edited:

jorjor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
9lives pate-style foods are all grain-free ;) And it's cheaper than Friskies(which contains rice).

Last edited:

newkittyowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow thanks! U think no matter who I ask on here or read I am always going to get different views on food. But a start is to get them on some wet. My hubby was against it because of cost is what I got from him and his previous cat had teeth problems. He said from an all wet food which I know it is a myth! It's because he never had her teeth cleaned and never brushed the cats teeth.
One of the kittens we have keeps wanting our food and never seems satisfied even tries to eat food that my three year old drops while eating. Wild guess but perhaps she needs more than just dry food? I keep pointing this out to my hubby. Also she is smaller than her sister.
How long does wet canned food last in the fridge? I plan to( when I do start wet) to gradually introduce it such as a tsp or tbsp a day for a few days and gradually add more. So would this waste a lot? Is wet okay to feed from the same plate/ bowel they are fine same dry food bowel they were like that at Animal Aide.also the wet food is there ones that say kitten on them or is it all the same? Thanks I know this is a lot to ask.

newkittyowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh and how do you only leave wet out half an hour if you got to put it down and then go out? What if they don't eat it all? I read only leave it out that long due to bacteria? I k ow my sister just puts it out and leaves it until gone no matter how long.

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dry food does not promote dental health. The cats don't chew it, they just shatter it and swallow the pieces. If you have seen your cat puke soon after eating, you probably saw that most of the food was still whole.

Cats are obligate carnivores, I am sure you know that. The kitten wants people food because it smells better than the dry cat food.

If you cover the cans with a snap on plastic cover or use Press n Seal plastic wrap, wet food will stay good in the fridge for 2-3 days. Just remember to warm it up to room temperature (7 seconds in the microwave) before you feed it. Most cats don't like cold food. i feed the wet food on Dixie paper plates. They get a fresh plate each time, and I don't have to wash the plates, just throw them away. (Not very green of me, I know). 4 plates twice a day costs about 25 cents a day.

I leave it down for them to finish. They usually eat it all within 2 hours. Then pick up the plates, throw them away, and I am done.

I am living on a very small fixed income and spend around 15-20% of it feeding the ladies. I will make sure that they have food, even if I have to eat lentils and rice (which are actually very good) a few days at the end of the month.

newkittyowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you ever have a problem one of the cat eating more of the wet than the other or hoarding. I think one if them Zippy the smaller and more playful one of the two sisters would love wet food! Thanks

Last edited:

newkittyowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I went into a local pet store as we were almost out of the dry food. I saw a lady I had never seen there before but then again I have only been in once as we just got our kittens recently. I know a lot here say science diet isn't the best but that is what they have always been on so until we find something different that is what we feed them.
The lady at the store tells me that what I am feeding them is the best and not to feed wet as it causes so many problems health wise and for their teeth. That dry is best for them. I could however give a bit of wet if I must as a treat.
She said dont believe what read or am told over the Internet. She asked what my vet said andxivtold her he said dry was fine to keep feeding but I could add wet if really wanted to.
Sorry lady but I do understand that not everything I read is true that is obvious! But here on this site I know that each and everyone of you love and care for your feline friend like they were your children so I tend to appreciate and accept your thoughts, advice and comments much more than some lady at a pet store.
I looked around at various store this evening at cat wet food and so many are full of grains or gravey or by products!! So I went discouraged but will keep a look out for something. A lot had by products as the first ingredient!

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The lady at the store tells me that what I am feeding them is the best and not to feed wet as it causes so many problems health wise and for their teeth. That dry is best for them. I could however give a bit of wet if I must as a treat.
She said dont believe what read or am told over the Internet.
All I can say to this is:
   She doesn't know what the
she's talking about. Pardon me. That's like the time I went into a local pet store and told the lady I'm browsing around for a pet food not made by Diamond. This was shortly after all those recalls. She said, "I don't know why you don't want foods made by Diamond. They are very reputable and haven't had a problem in years." I'm like "Excuse me? They just recalled like 10 brands of food they make." 

It's ancient thinking that dry food is best because it cleans their teeth when they crunch down on it. How absurd! Most times they swallow it whole anyway. My teeth aren't going to get clean if I only eat oyster crackers every day for the rest of my life. I have to brush and floss my teeth at least twice a day. Cats aren't any different and need their teeth brushed at home.
Sorry lady but I do understand that not everything I read is true that is obvious! But here on this site I know that each and everyone of you love and care for your feline friend like they were your children so I tend to appreciate and accept your thoughts, advice and comments much more than some lady at a pet store.
Thank you for this.
I have come to understand that a lot of the people on here have owned pets for a long time, have spent countless hours conducting research and working with their vets, sacrificing time and money for months (if not years) of trial-and-error to find what is best for their felines, and sharing their experiences along the way. What we share is real. Real stories of hope and loss. Real journeys of successes and failures.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it can seem overwhelming. Take a deep breath and relax. You were given some names of canned food, that were inexpensive you could start out with. Yes, some have by-products..that's ok at this point.

There comes a time when you have to use your common sense from all you have learned and heard, and then make up your own mind about what you can do that's best (in your mind) for your animals. Cats are carnivores, that means they were meant to eat meat. Does dry food have good juicy meat? It's that simple really.

aeroflot57

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dear New Kitty Owner,

I agree with GoHolistic; pet store owners and workers very rarely know what they are talking about when it comes to cats, because they don't realize how different cats are from dogs--they lump them together as if they are the same, and they are not at all. If you want to feed your cat dry food, I would recommend Life's Abundance Dry food, which has more protein and is more carnivore-friendly for cats, with none of the junk cats don't need. Go to www.Lifesabundance.com . I would either get a running fountain for the cats to encourage water consumption, or pour unsalted chicken broth on the food, or add wet food to their diet. Cats almost never drink enough water, and end up having kidney and urinary problems because of it. Dry food doesn't give them the moisture they need, so you need to supplement it with unsalted broth or wet food.

Cats may seem fine on dry food, but are you willing to take the chance or ending up with them in the hospital later in life with kidney and urinary problems, diabetes, or pancreatitis? Dying before age 20 is not a long life for a cat; healthy cats can live to between 22-25 years old. Wouldn't it be better if they lived that life without having to cost you thousands of dollars in vet hospital bills, or having to put them to sleep when they're only 10 to 15 years old? If I had known how bad dry food was for my cats, I never would have fed it to them. I only learned by losing two cats at an early age, and having to spend over a thousand dollars on my current cat with chronic kidney disease for him to spend a week in the hospital. This is the voice of experience--I'm not trying to sell you anything, because no matter what you do, it doesn't affect me in any way (except for my concern about your kitties). With a pet store owner or a Veterinarian, they are making their livings by selling to you, so they aren't necessarily the most trustworthy.

Unfortunately, veterinarians don't spend much time in training on nutrition; and cat food manufacturers are the ones who tell them what's good for cats, which is a huge conflict of interest, don't you think? They give breaks to vets on food so the vets push their brands; just like doctors get kickbacks from prescription drug companies to push medications on people instead of finding other treatments with less side effects. Everything is about money these days, sad to say.

Dry food is convenient and less costly for humans, but it is not the best food for cats. Your instinct is trying to tell you something; listen to it. Get more moisture in those kitties, and they will be healthier for it. Good luck!

There is lots more information coming out about how cats' diets contribute to damaged kidneys and other organs. Some great websites:

http://feline-nutrition.org/health/diet-kidney-disease-and-the-urinary-tract

http://www.catinfo.org/?link=urinarytracthealth

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I've been continuing to follow Newkittyowner's thread here and all the information has been really interesting and informative. It's got me re-thinking my regime with Mouse so WELL DONE EVERYONE. 

Will post a new thread for questions I have as don't want to hi- jack this one.

newkittyowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I have been out this afternoon and got a few cans of wet food for our two feline friends. They were not cheap but they are grain free and meat is listed first. I also got a bag of grain free dry food as I still want to provide dry in addition to wet. There is limited wet food available for kittens but I got two Wellness Grain Free for kittens and one Kitten Blue Wilderness 100% Grain Free. I will try them on a tsp either tonight or tomorrow morning and see if they like it. I am guessing I will be throwing away quite a bit in the beginning as I get them use to it as a can will last about three days in the fridge? Do I have to put the food in another container once I open it. I know I always do when I open a tuna can for myself.  

The new dry food we are going to try is Purrfect Bistro Merrick , Grain Free Healthy Kitten, 74% Protein and fat ingredients and 26% Carbs,Fiber, Vitamins and Minerals. I was told it was better than the Science Diet Kitten and there was more in the bag for the same price or cheaper. 

Lets hope I am going in the right direction. I am trying. Might have to post later in another forum about one of the cats sneezing but that is another topic

Thanks!