Face Moisturizers - What Do You Use?

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I honestly think the Cerave is one of the best around.. and they do carry a facial moisturizer with sun screen...

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Cerave! It's a really good, high quality, reasonably priced product line.

Believe it or not my face is so dry that, at night, when I get out of the shower, I slather my face with a thin coat of olive oil, wait for that to sink it, then it's Eucerain Daily Hydration Body Lotion, THEN it's Cerave Moisturizing Cream!

Yes, my skin is dry.

I had some light acne as a kid and the dermatologist back then put me on a prescription strength retinoid which I've used ever since. I no longer have acne issues but retinoids are the gold standard when it comes to anti-ageing. Most derms will tell you that EVERYONE over thirty, regardless of gender and race, can benefit from nightly retinoid use. The clarity and "glow" is really amazing. However, you ALWAYS have to wear a sunscreen when you're using a retinoid, so I've been wearing daily sunscreen since I was fifteen.

Incidentally, if anyone is looking for a physical sunscreen with as little "junk" in it as possible you should check out COTZ. Being dry, I love their 20% zinc oxide versions, both the tinted and non tinted. However, if you're oily or normal you just can't beat Cotz Face Natural Tinted SPF 40. Once you start using it you'll never use anything else.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't care for Cerave :dunno: Eucerin... I just have bad memories of using it:cringe: Neutrogen is hit or miss. It works fine in the warmer months (with occasional break outs:doh:) but doesn't provide enough moisturization in the dry winter months.

Maybe a dumb question - is it ok to use a "day" non-SPF moisturizier at night or should I use a night specific one as many beauty experts say to because of cell turnover and whatnot that happens when you are sleeping?

I'm looking at this Origins night cream: https://www.origins.com/product/153...-mins/mineral-enriched-oil-free-renewal-cream I'm just worried that because it's a cream it might be super thick and rich and cause acne to develop overnight. I might have to go to a local store and see the product in person.

If I can get away with using a regular "day" moisturizer at night, I might be able to add a serum for dark spots like this one.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stuff like this is always very personal. What works for me may not work for you and there's nothing wrong with that at all. I think you ought to try the Origins and just see how it works. I looked at their website and they have a money back guarantee so you can always return or exchange it if it doesn't work for you. Sephora also has an amazingly good refund/exchange policy as long as you have a receipt. You just need to start trying different things and see what works. Most of us are still, even in our forties, looking for that perfect moisturizer!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
True. I'll try a few different brands to see what works. I'm looking at the Sephora web site right now. So many moisturizer options :dizzy: I'll try to find a few that might work for me and head to the local Sephora store and Origins store when it's not so freezing cold out
I'm not going to count out brands I can find at Target or CVS.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I really did like the Origins moisturizer, in the jar.. smells nice also..just a bit too expensive for me, at this point in my life..

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oddly enough the best thing I've found is a Eucerain body lotion. It's called Daily Hydration and contains sunflower oil.
I use this on my legs in the winter! They get more dry than the rest of my body for some reason. Aveeno is fine everywhere else; but my legs and hands get awful. I use everything from coconut oil to that lanolin based stinky stuff in a tin for my hands. :lol:
I tried a bottle of Cerave Daily skin cream ~~ yes, using it for my face. I really like it. Has made it really soft, without any residue. I think I am going to buy another bottle when this one runs out. I have been using it for a month..
I use CeraVe cream on my kids! DS's hands suffer horribly with eczema and DD gets rough bumps all up and down her legs. She uses a goat milked based calendula soap. I buy that locally. Unfortunately it didn't help DS. Maybe I should take a second look at their other products. The neutrogena lasts a long time and I just bought a bottle. But it's worth looking at and comparing. I was looking for a lip product for DD too.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been using & really like the Loreal Youth Code, dark spot corrector. SPF 30! It's nice & rich, so only takes a little, so last a while. aw Walmart, it's around $17.00, but more at a drug store.

I've actually been using the Pro-Active Plus line for a few years, because I was still breaking out in my 40's, & so over it!
Even using good & natural products (& having a background in skincare!) It was only moderate, but tired of still dealing w/ it, self conscious, in my 40's! It keeps me almost always clear. I do have 3 break outs right now, but I think it's all the extra rich holiday food, Dairy & sugar are culprits, but it's also PMS wk!! so...:rolleyes:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles I also have some eczema.. and the 'bumps"... My dermatologist gave it a name, but I cannot remember it. He said it is from the hair follicles being clogged... almost look like white head, but are not. or vise versa~~ I forget which is which!! aging mind...

He told me to use Amlactin 12%.. This was a prescription lotion, but recently became an over the counter one. I am getting it from Amazon. I really like it.. none greasy.. It seems as if one area of the 'bump area' is improving.. however, the other area does not seem to be doing so..it seems a bit improved when I put it on, but it needs to be applied twice a day. I usually forget the evening dose!!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles I also have some eczema.. and the 'bumps"... My dermatologist gave it a name, but I cannot remember it. He said it is from the hair follicles being clogged... almost look like white head, but are not. or vise versa~~ I forget which is which!!
Dyshidrotic eczema?

I have eczema on my hands. OTC lotions and creams don't help so my doctor gave me a prescription steroid cream to use (it was free thanks to my prescription drug plan :yess:). I put the cream on at night and then slip on an old pair of socks so the cream and be aborbed into the skin and not rub on onto the sheets (doctor calls it occlusive dressing).

I have been using & really like the Loreal Youth Code, dark spot corrector. SPF 30! It's nice & rich, so only takes a little, so last a while. aw Walmart, it's around $17.00, but more at a drug store.
I've seen that on the Loreal web site but I can never find it at a drug store or at Target. Amazon doesn't always have it and when it does, it's ridiculously priced.

Ponds is an affordable, easy-to-find option: POND’S Clarant B3 | POND’S® It might be too rich for night use, though:think:

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles I also have some eczema.. and the 'bumps"... My dermatologist gave it a name, but I cannot remember it. He said it is from the hair follicles being clogged... almost look like white head, but are not. or vise versa~~ I forget which is which!! aging mind...

He told me to use Amlactin 12%.. This was a prescription lotion, but recently became an over the counter one. I am getting it from Amazon. I really like it.. none greasy.. It seems as if one area of the 'bump area' is improving.. however, the other area does not seem to be doing so..it seems a bit improved when I put it on, but it needs to be applied twice a day. I usually forget the evening dose!!
I will look that up! DD says it's itchy every now and then. My SIL and DH both have a bit of this on their arms. SIL was told to use the CeraVe by her doctor. It doesn't bother DH. :dunno:
Dyshidrotic eczema?

I have eczema on my hands. OTC lotions and creams don't help so my doctor gave me a prescription steroid cream to use (it was free thanks to my prescription drug plan :yess:). I put the cream on at night and then slip on an old pair of socks so the cream and be aborbed into the skin and not rub on onto the sheets (doctor calls it occlusive dressing).
Most of the time DS has to use a prescription steroid cream. I'd rather find the root cause because they can thin the skin; but sometimes I can't avoid it. Or it gets out of control and he ends up in pain. It's the worst when his hands are in the water or sand/dirt a lot. Frustrating for a little boy! :frustrated: We've tried so much. I'm not sure I can convince him to put socks on his hands at night. Maybe if I find some fun ones or make puppets on them or something. :lol2:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All of my makeup/creams, etc. comes from Mary Kay. I found some face/neck creams from Merle Norman in the thrift store before Chrismas. I loved their products. They have a retail store near where I live and I am thinking I might make a change.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Isn't Mary Kay one of those companies that only sells through a salesperson like Avon does? I remember a neighbor years ago who said she worked on the side or something for Mary Kay and she'd give me free products for my acne which she never did :rolleyes:

Cotton gloves would work for eczema on the hands. I use socks because I didn't want to buy a pair of gloves and I have plenty of old non-wearable socks I haven't figured out what to do with besides the trash. My eczema is caused by hand washing dishes. I really should wear gloves but I find them cumbersome.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Isn't Mary Kay one of those companies that only sells through a salesperson like Avon does? I remember a neighbor years ago who said she worked on the side or something for Mary Kay and she'd give me free products for my acne which she never did :rolleyes:

Cotton gloves would work for eczema on the hands. I use socks because I didn't want to buy a pair of gloves and I have plenty of old non-wearable socks I haven't figured out what to do with besides the trash. My eczema is caused by hand washing dishes. I really should wear gloves but I find them cumbersome.
Avon and Mary Kay both sell their products through their websites.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles He told me to use Amlactin 12%..
Amlactin is AWESOME and I love it. Nothing out there helps seriously dry skin like this does. I'll even use it on my face every other day. The only problem is the smell. It's not pleasant, that's for sure, but it does tend to dissipate.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Avon and Mary Kay both sell their products through their websites.

They do now. I remember browsing through the Avon catalogs long before the Internet existed and having Mom put an order in with her co-worker's daughter.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They do now. I remember browsing through the Avon catalogs long before the Internet existed and having Mom put an order in with her co-worker's daughter.
So do I. I bought a whole lot from Avon ladies over the years.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Avon lady day was always one of my favorite days at work. :lol: I didn't order a lot back then; but I did love their mascara, eye pencils, and lip balm. :lol2:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Avon lady day was always one of my favorite days at work. :lol: I didn't order a lot back then; but I did love their mascara, eye pencils, and lip balm. :lol2:
My favorite thing was the original Skin So Soft dry oil body spray. They discontinued it a long time ago. SSS original scent is a great mosquito repellent too!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have sensitive skin, and have been using the basic unscented for sensitive skin with 15 SPF Oil of Olay for years. I decided to try something different once, and bought Neutrogena, and woke up the next day with hives all over my face. So I've stuck with the Oil of Olay ever since.